Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which would benefit more? Plus a settings question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just upgraded my receiver about a year ago to the SONY STR-DV1 (that's the model number, although I can't find anything about it online.. it seems similar to the STR-DV10 though):

"7.1 channels supplying 90 Watts per channel. The STR-DV10 supports many audio formats, so play your DVDs and laser discs in digital sound: Dolby® Digital/DTS, Dolby® Digital EX, Dolby® Pro Logic®, Dolby® Pro Logic® II Decoding, Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx, Dolby® Dual Mono, DTS® ES (MATRIX6.1/DISCRETE6.1), DTS® 96/24, DTS® NEO:6 Decoding. Additional features include a Digital Cinema Sound™ System with Cinema Studio EX A/B/C Modes, 5.1 Multi-Channel Analog Input, 30 Total Station Presets"

It was about $200-300 at the time, not too expensive but still an upgrade on my previous receiver (STR-DE650). At the time, I also bought a few new speakers:

SONY SSCN550H (Center)
SONY SSMF550H x2 (front L/R)
SONY SSMB350H x2 (L/R)
SONY SSMB150H x2 (Rear L/R)
KLH S120ETH (Sub)

Since moving, the FRONT L/R, CENTER, SUB, are where they should be, but the 350H's are in place of the rear L/R with the smaller 150H's sitting on top of them (probably not the greatest setup!)

So now my question - I have a lot of Blu Ray and HDDVD discs, but cant take advantage of the TRUEHD/DTS-HD, etc.. Is it worth upgrading my receiver to a newer one that can handle these formats, or would it be wasted on my speaker setup?

Would speakers be a better idea? I'm trying to keep the price around $500, which isnt a lot when it comes to replacing a set of speakers.

Now 2 bonus questions:

* I can't find any options to output a non-processed signal from the receiver (so it takes the DD 5.1 and then uses PLII or NEO6 to process it), between these, what would give me the best output for movie watching?

* Since all 4 rear speakers are stacked (2 on each side) should I keep my setup this way, or just remove the smaller 150H speakers and just change my setup to 5.1?
Old 01-04-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
You would get a lot more of an upgrade in sound quality by upgrading speakers then upgrading receivers just to get the newest formats. (Is that the millionth time I have said that Spiky?)

Probably for your budget on speakers, I wouldn't worry to much about the newest formats. I'm not saying you wouldn't hear any diffence, but just don't know if it would be worth it. As for speakers, I'd look at the "usual suspects" tho you might be hard pressed in $500 price range. Paradigm, KEF, Klipsch. SVS, Polk maybe, Mirage, Celestion, NHT.

Personally, no matter what you upgrade, I'd get away from Sony. For receivers most like the Onkyo for value/performace. I like H/K for excellent sound.

Tho, does your BD or HD player have analog outs? Your receiver might which means you could go that way to get the newest formats.
Old 01-05-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
You would get a lot more of an upgrade in sound quality by upgrading speakers then upgrading receivers just to get the newest formats. (Is that the millionth time I have said that Spiky?)
I've given up. Too much repetition to keep all the counts straight. Maybe we should update the FAQ.
Old 01-05-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Which would benefit more? Plus a settings question

For receivers I have the Pioneer Elite and it is head and shoulders above the Yamaha I had. For speakers I have Definitive Technologies, not as good for music but just as good for movies. Because a lot of the name brand speakers are not discounted, try to find a used set or a demo set at the store. I picked up some nice Def Tech Mythos speakers for my front channels at 50% because they were clearing out the demo models. Still come in the original box with the warranty what do I care other people listened to them for a few months.
Old 01-05-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Which would benefit more? Plus a settings question

Originally Posted by Spiky
I've given up. Too much repetition to keep all the counts straight. Maybe we should update the FAQ.
Actually, not a bad idea...maybe I write is up and see what we can do. Then can just link it as an answer...LMAO