Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions for 5.1 sound in bedroom

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an extra DVD player and Home Theater in a box system. I'm thinking of getting a small size HDTV 22" - 26" for the master bedroom. The problem I'll have is wiring for the rear speakers. It is an upstairs room which makes going under very difficult and it has a vaulted ceiling which will make going overhead impossible. I have wall to wall carpet. Maybe I could peel up the carpet at both walls and fish the wire through?

If anyone has any experience with upstairs rooms I would appreciate some insight.
Old 09-18-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under the carpet. Wireless speakers are eh.

Dont go smaller than 26".
Old 09-19-08, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Dont go smaller than 26".
Unless his room is really small I will have to agree. Although I'm sleeping in the front room (the living room); it is the size of a normal/slightly larger bedroom. It is a room where the next room is wide open and doesn't have any doors, but 26" - 32" is the smallest size I would go. I would even say go 37".
Old 09-19-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
Unless his room is really small I will have to agree. Although I'm sleeping in the front room (the living room); it is the size of a normal/slightly larger bedroom. It is a room where the next room is wide open and doesn't have any doors, but 26" - 32" is the smallest size I would go. I would even say go 37".
If the room is that small, wiring should be a breeze, though.

-beebs
Old 09-19-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The reason I was thinking 26" is twofold. One is the price. I already have a 58" downstairs so this is really just as an extra type thing. I wouldn't even do a 5.1 sound if I didn't already have a HTIB lying around. The other reason is that right in front of the bed are two windows and there is about 24" between the two windows. If I go bigger that that I'll need to move the TV off to the corner, which puts it further away so I'll lose the advantage of a bigger set
Old 09-20-08, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The reason I was thinking 26" is twofold. One is the price. I already have a 58" downstairs so this is really just as an extra type thing. I wouldn't even do a 5.1 sound if I didn't already have a HTIB lying around. The other reason is that right in front of the bed are two windows and there is about 24" between the two windows. If I go bigger that that I'll need to move the TV off to the corner, which puts it further away so I'll lose the advantage of a bigger set
Sort of like this...

Old 09-20-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you been to my house? Yeah. that's it exactly and if the TV is too big it will look out of place and certainly can't overlap the windows. The only thing that's missing in that picture is my wife not in the mood for sex.
Old 09-22-08, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Have you been to my house? Yeah. that's it exactly and if the TV is too big it will look out of place and certainly can't overlap the windows. The only thing that's missing in that picture is my wife not in the mood for sex.

I think 26" is the biggest you should go. It probably won't block any of the windows. If it does it will be hardly anything. You could always move the HDTV and stand up a bit and it would be easier to close the curtains.
Old 09-22-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i say get a projector and use the screen as a curtain!
Old 09-23-08, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
i say get a projector and use the screen as a curtain!
That's a great idea!