Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is wireless audio home theater technology gradually improving?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is wireless audio home theater technology improving? Will it ever achieve the level of a decent wired audio home theater? Even if the advancements are slow, will it happen? And if so, how many years till wireless audio home theater technology is respectable?
Old 09-19-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, improving. Maybe someday. But wireless has latency & reception issues that wires just don't have. I see....many years.
Old 09-20-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Plus, even if you can send a signal through the air, you still have to supply electrical power to the speakers. That means you still have to plug them (or something connected to them) into a wall outlet.
Old 09-20-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, that's why I don't get the point... Rather than run speaker wire, you have to figure out some way to power the speakers which are probably located somewhere where there isn't any convenient power source. Am I missing something?
Old 09-22-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
Yeah, that's why I don't get the point... Rather than run speaker wire, you have to figure out some way to power the speakers which are probably located somewhere where there isn't any convenient power source. Am I missing something?
Yes.

What you are missing is what we call the SAF/WAF or Spousal/Wife Acceptance Factor.

For some bizarre reason, audio and video equipment are stigmatized whenever any wires, boxes, lights or remotes are in plain view. Things that can be hidden, are tiny and cute usually get the SAF/WAF. This is part of the reason for the appeal of BOSE all these years and the reason so many HTIB's now copy the small footprint.

Maybe someday wireless will be the norm, but we are not there yet.
Old 09-22-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
Depending on room layouts, it makes sense. Not everyone can run wires easily to the rear speakers, especially in apartments.
Old 09-22-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah but you have to run the electrical wire somewhere! I ran wires along the ceiling in my apartment, you don't really even notice them. So either way, you have to run wires.
Old 09-22-08, 11:49 PM

I have an electrical outlet behind my couch. That would allow for rear speakers to be plugged into the wall and then placed on either stands or end tables on both sides - with minimal visible wiring.

In my case a wireless system would be MUCH easier.
Old 09-23-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by David Levine
I have an electrical outlet behind my couch. That would allow for rear speakers to be plugged into the wall and then placed on either stands or end tables on both sides - with minimal visible wiring.

In my case a wireless system would be MUCH easier.
Glad it will work for you.

Please do a review on how they sound so that everyone asking the question will have a better idea.
Old 09-23-08, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Glad it will work for you.

Please do a review on how they sound so that everyone asking the question will have a better idea.
Oh I'm not planning on doing it - I was just commenting on how you don't necessarily have to have exposed wires either way.

And you wouldn't want my review. I can't tell the difference between very good and average speaker quality (or Dolby vs. DTS, etc). I'm much more swayed by the "surround experience" than I am by the quality of the sound.
Old 09-23-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'd imagine bluetooth solutions might be able to work for this. However, you'd have to have a built in delay mechanism to account for timing and distance as others have discussed above.
Old 09-23-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Delay could be compensated for in the receiver. The receiver would see the surround speakers as being farther away, and it would adjust the timing for the front speakers and the video signal (if using HDMI) accordingly. However, there would be lag in video games, which play sound in real time.
Old 09-23-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by David Levine
Oh I'm not planning on doing it - I was just commenting on how you don't necessarily have to have exposed wires either way.
I could be wrong, but a power cord and 2 speaker cords climbing a wall sound exposed to me. Kinda our point, that wireless is mostly not so wireless.

I'm much more swayed by the "surround experience" than I am by the quality of the sound.
That just makes no sense at all to me. How can those be even partially mutually exclusive.
Old 09-23-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
I could be wrong, but a power cord and 2 speaker cords climbing a wall sound exposed to me. Kinda our point, that wireless is mostly not so wireless.
They're behind a couch though, so depending on the speakers they may not be very visible at all since they're hidden by the couch. I actually have that sort of set up with a cheap Samsung HTIB, with wireless rears and all the cables behind the couch.

I'm not really sure why it's so hard to understand or picture everytime someone mentions wireless rear speakers.
Old 09-23-08, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
That just makes no sense at all to me. How can those be even partially mutually exclusive.
Like I said, I can't tell the difference between good sound and very good sound. I can pick up some nuances, but I don't have "audiophile ears" in any way, shape or form. I have very good hearing as far as volume, but I'm probably at least a bit tone deaf.

But that doesn't take away my enjoyment of the experience of surround sound. I can still tell what direction sounds are coming from and a good surround mix really enhances the whole movie experience to me.
Old 09-24-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
They're behind a couch though, so depending on the speakers they may not be very visible at all since they're hidden by the couch. I actually have that sort of set up with a cheap Samsung HTIB, with wireless rears and all the cables behind the couch.

I'm not really sure why it's so hard to understand or picture everytime someone mentions wireless rear speakers.
Right, but you still had to worry about hiding wires. So wireLESS doesn't mean UNwired, which is what most people picture.