Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dish Network Turbo HD??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dish Network Turbo HD??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, check it out. Tonight, the commercials about the world's only 100% HD package are actually in....HD!
Old 08-16-08, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by jonw9
Has anybody figured out or found "I am Legend" yet?
Ok it finally showed up on one of the 501 VOD channels. Right next to the title it states "1080P" and it is $2.99 for I believe for all of August. I wonder what type of audio it will be in? Gonna order it tonight so I guess I will find out
Old 08-19-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How was it?

I like that the deal runs "All of August" but is only available for <half the month!
Old 08-24-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can run 2 HD TV's at the same time off of the 622. The hdmi and Component outputs are both active at the same time. Both TV's would have to see the same channel of course. Sure would be nice if the second TV option was hdmi.
Old 08-26-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got Dish Turbo HD for a week now. Can't believe how much faster the ViP722 receiver is compare to the old junk DVR. Unfortunately, there is a bug when it's in dual mode. If you switch format/aspect in TV2, TV1 screen shrink to tiny screen at the top left corner. You either have to power off the reciever or hit the format/aspect button to bring back the full screen. But that is not as major of a problem as the video output getting downgraded. It changes the video out from 1080i to 480i. I have to go back to TV type and reset it back to 1080i. Supposely, Dish is still working on a fix for this bug.

Another cool feature that I did not know about. There is really 3 tuners in the 722. 2 for satellite and 1 for OTA. Now I finally have a solution to Monday night when fall season starts.
Old 08-27-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My 622 records 3 things at once.

Is there anything special about the 722? I was considering calling DN and see if they will upgrade me. My 18 most are over, and I guess I could threaten to switch to DTV.
I was considering switching to Turbo HD, but everything I see are for new customers, and nothing looks like an upgrade from my current package.
Old 08-27-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a bigger hard drive. That is all I know.
Old 08-27-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that is all I saw too. I was hoping for 1080P, since it seems retarded to offer 1080P on demand, but not have any box with that resolution.
Old 08-27-08, 06:23 PM
Banned

Is there anything special about the 722? I was considering calling DN and see if they will upgrade me. My 18 most are over, and I guess I could threaten to switch to DTV.
I was considering switching to Turbo HD, but everything I see are for new customers, and nothing looks like an upgrade from my current package.
I think there are some deals for the Turbo HD for current customers. I know that they have a deal that for $64.99 you get America's Top 250 plus Turbo HD gold and for $5 more you get all the local channels.
Old 08-27-08, 06:34 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is there anything special about the 722? I was considering calling DN and see if they will upgrade me.
Just a bigger drive. I had a 622 and when I moved upgraded to the 722. I think I paid $99. They are essentially identical, aside from the drive space. And with the ability to use external drives, the space isn't much of an issue.
Old 08-27-08, 08:27 PM

How was it?

I like that the deal runs "All of August" but is only available for <half the month!
I was nice picture,I don't have the HD DVD version so it's hard to tell if it would be the same. I was close to the PQ to Batman Begins in HD DVD but I don't it was quite there but close. Worth renting it for $2.99 but it's only that price till the end of August.
Old 08-31-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried to watch the 1080P on Friday night. For some reason my TV wouldn't pass the "test", so now I have to figure out if the problem resides in my set, or with my VIP622.

I finally realized that I have to turn to 501 to find the On-demand, I was going to the "on-demand" menu.
Old 09-04-08, 12:13 PM

Yes now this Month (September) they have 10,000 BC in 1080P for $2.99
Old 09-26-08, 11:16 AM
Banned

DISH, Sony Offer VOD

By Erik Gruenwedel | Posted: 25 Sep 2008
[email protected]

Dish Network Corp. Sept. 25 said it inked a license agreement with Sony Pictures Television to distribute movies and TV content via the satellite operator’s video-on-demand, on-demand and pay-per-view services in both standard definition and high-definition.

Dish Network subscribers must access a digital video recorder option for on-demand programming. HD program packages start at $24.99 per month.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ele...ffer-vod-13587
Old 04-17-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to bump this rather than start a new thread.

A few questions for anyone with Dish Turbo HD:

1) What's the status of that $5 phoneline fee? I though I remember reading it's no longer required on the first receiver?
2) Along those lines, anyone know the final cost on Turbo HD Silver with DVR? $39.99 + $5.98 + ??
3) Something I read stated you'll want to get local channels in order for the DVR to have "name based recording". Huh? Why would your DVR capabilities be dependent on having local channels? (I have a Series 3 TiVo with Lifetime, so there's zero reason to pay even $5 extra for locals.)
Old 04-17-09, 09:13 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Dish Network Turbo HD??

Originally Posted by Chew
I'm going to bump this rather than start a new thread.

A few questions for anyone with Dish Turbo HD:

1) What's the status of that $5 phoneline fee? I though I remember reading it's no longer required on the first receiver?
2) Along those lines, anyone know the final cost on Turbo HD Silver with DVR? $39.99 + $5.98 + ??
3) Something I read stated you'll want to get local channels in order for the DVR to have "name based recording". Huh? Why would your DVR capabilities be dependent on having local channels? (I have a Series 3 TiVo with Lifetime, so there's zero reason to pay even $5 extra for locals.)
1) Dish may have waived the $5 phoneline fee. However, you can simply connect the Dish receiver via ethernet cable to your router to avoid the fee for certain.
2) I believe there is a 6 month promotion going on right now -- Silver tier is $19.99 (regular fee is $39.99). The $5.98 may be the Dish protection plan. Free for the first several months and then optional moving forward, from what I gather.
3) Not sure about this. I added locals when I signed up -- was an additional $5.
Old 04-17-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

$5.98 is the monthly DVR fee.
Old 04-17-09, 09:24 PM

I'm fed up with Dish.
We got the HD setup a little over a year ago.
I'm not a good HD consumer, because I'm a bit crosseyed, and don't see that accurately, to begin with. My husband watches TV from his computer. We decided that we wanted to can Dish because they are nickel and diming us to death. I'm tired of paying over $100 a month to watch TV. The only thing I'm going to miss is Discovery, which I can buy most of what I want in packages later, anyway. Dirty Jobs, Time warp, etc. The last straw was when our signal went out and they charged us to come out and fix it when it was the laziness of the installer that was the problem. He used a pre-existing cable not rated for HD, and was over 15 years old (had two coats of housepaint on it). I got the charge waived, but it really sunk home that we just didn't need to be spending that much on TV when Netflix is only $16 a month, and buying series isn't all that much compared to what we were spending. Problem, though. We thought our commitment since the HD upgrade was 12 months, but they say it's 18, so we can't quit until July. But come July, I'm done with them. They charge $5 a month if you don't want to have a phone line hooked up to the system all the time. I'm sorry, I don't want caller ID on my TV. Big Brother might be watching. The difference in cost between all the stations and about half the stations is about $15 so it tempts one to max out the service. I just have had it with all charges from so many unexpected angles. Also, our signal is less reliable with HD than the normal resolution. It flakes out and then flakes out the recorder so we miss stuff. The recorder gets confused a lot, too. It will hop forward to the end of the program instead of just the 30 seconds or so sometimes. The machine we have is a VIP722.
Old 04-23-09, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpiderM
I'm fed up with Dish.
We got the HD setup a little over a year ago.
I'm not a good HD consumer, because I'm a bit crosseyed, and don't see that accurately, to begin with. My husband watches TV from his computer. We decided that we wanted to can Dish because they are nickel and diming us to death. I'm tired of paying over $100 a month to watch TV. The only thing I'm going to miss is Discovery, which I can buy most of what I want in packages later, anyway. Dirty Jobs, Time warp, etc. The last straw was when our signal went out and they charged us to come out and fix it when it was the laziness of the installer that was the problem. He used a pre-existing cable not rated for HD, and was over 15 years old (had two coats of housepaint on it). I got the charge waived, but it really sunk home that we just didn't need to be spending that much on TV when Netflix is only $16 a month, and buying series isn't all that much compared to what we were spending. Problem, though. We thought our commitment since the HD upgrade was 12 months, but they say it's 18, so we can't quit until July. But come July, I'm done with them. They charge $5 a month if you don't want to have a phone line hooked up to the system all the time. I'm sorry, I don't want caller ID on my TV. Big Brother might be watching. The difference in cost between all the stations and about half the stations is about $15 so it tempts one to max out the service. I just have had it with all charges from so many unexpected angles. Also, our signal is less reliable with HD than the normal resolution. It flakes out and then flakes out the recorder so we miss stuff. The recorder gets confused a lot, too. It will hop forward to the end of the program instead of just the 30 seconds or so sometimes. The machine we have is a VIP722.
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes with your service and VIP722 receiver. We have had the same receiver(VIP722) for over a year and has worked flawlessly. When I upgraded to it we got most of those things waived(DVR fee,local channels fee, phone line fee) and all we have to do it keep the phone line plugged into the receiver,which is no big deal for us.

As far as the HD VOD,it's a nice picture but it's not HD DVD/BD quality but with the compression I didn't expect it to be. Other thing you lose out on is True HD/DTS HD/MA audio(lossless)
Old 04-23-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Not that I'd ever go with Dish, but when are they coming out with that new DVR with the Slingbox built into it?