Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Heat emission on a HD-DVD player?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound like a silly question, but I have been finding that my A-35 HD-DVD player is emitting a lot of heat. Do the HD-DVD players emit more heat than a S-dvd players or do I just not have enough ventillation for it. Just prior to buying my this player I bought a new media center and its set up is very different from my last set up. I also have the player sharing a cabinet with my receiver. I currently leave the door to the cabinet open when the receiver and HD player are in use and I am aware I may need to open out the back end of the cabinet, I wanted to double check before cutting up a portion of the cabinet (Yes, its not the most expensive media center and the backing is partical board.) Thanks in Advance!
Old 02-17-08, 08:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I have an A20, and I don't notice any difference.
Old 02-17-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Can't speak for the A35, but I have the HD D1 and it has never even felt warm to the touch, let alone hot.
Old 02-17-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,510 Posts
I have an A3 and when I put my hand in front of the fan in the back, I feel air blowing out, but it doesn't feel warm at all (unlike my PS3, which blows quite warm air out of the side). My cabinet is completely open at the back, so maybe that helps? At any rate, make sure the fan isn't blocked, and opening up the back of your cabinet a bit certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 02-17-08, 02:08 PM

Thanks TallGuyMe, Maxflier, and Cultshock for your inputs. I think I will open up the back and if it still is warm I'll know somethings probably wrong with the player and give Toshiba and Amazon call and replace it. Thanks Again!
Old 02-17-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How do you have the player in there? It's not sitting on top of the receiver, is it?
Old 02-17-08, 10:01 PM

No. The media center I have is sort of compartamentilized in a cube shape with a shelf in the center (So it forms two shelves.) The receiver is on the bottom and the player is on the top of the shelf.
Old 02-19-08, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've played two movies back-to-back on my A35 and didn't get hot at all. If anything it got maybe slightly warm if that.
Old 02-19-08, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
I have an A3 and when I put my hand in front of the fan in the back, I feel air blowing out, but it doesn't feel warm at all (unlike my PS3, which blows quite warm air out of the side). My cabinet is completely open at the back, so maybe that helps? At any rate, make sure the fan isn't blocked, and opening up the back of your cabinet a bit certainly wouldn't be a bad idea.

My wife bought these 2 home theatre towers at Target that I swear were designed by an idiot.

There is absolutely no ventilation going thru them so every time I buy a new component, i pretty much tear up big ventilating holes in her damn tower!

"Oh but it looked so pretty with the other furniture"

Oy!