Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Receiver for multiple video sources?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 08:45 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks

I'm going to be moving soon. In my house hunting I don't care so much about the master suites or the granite countertops in the kitchen, I'm looking for the house that has the perfect sized and shaped room for the HT area I want to build As I'll be living alone I won't mind this being the main living room, or another room in the house. I guess I'm going for more of a "media room" than a "home theater" but still.

Anyway, I have a variety of components in my newbie HT setup and I know they won't all be able to use the newest AV connections around, like my Wii for instance, the best I can do with that is RCA audio and Component video.

I currently use all S-video cables through a 8 year old Yamaha 5.1 receiver to switch everything, which works fine for my 27" TV. But in my new place I'm planning to get a plasma, 50" or so, and I'll want to get the best possible picture out of everything. So, first off, are there any good receivers in the $1000 or less range that will allow me to have 1 video connection (maybe HDMI) that connects to the TV, and it will be able to switch & convert the video around from a variety of different types? Like going into the receiver with S-video, but it will still display through the HDMI connection to the TV? Just so that I can have less cables running around and won't have to change the TV's video setting every time I switch to the receiver? That's how I have it working now with all S-video and it's real convienient But I can only have 1 video type at a time, even though the receiver I have has composite and 2 component ports, it won't switch the different types
Old 02-06-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
These two should both do what you're looking for! Somebody please chime in if I'm wrong.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3526.asp AVR-2808
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3631.asp AVR-2308

(Video Conversion – Analog to HDMI Y/with Faroudja DCDi FLi2310 scaling 1080p)

The next model down will NOT. Price is high, but you said ~$1k. Also, I'm sure you can find each for lest if you shop around.

I'm sure Pioneer and Onkyo make similar products, but I don't have the time to check right now.
Old 02-09-08, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Thanks I'll look into that. Most of the ones i've been looking at will just convert everything to 1080i, I was looking for 1080p.. I'm not sure if it will really make that big of a difference though, but still I'd like to have the best picture I can get. Price is a little high but it's looking like I"m going to have to go a little over $1000 to get the right one And then be all mad when I see it for $500 a year later
Old 02-09-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I may be wrong, but for the most part I don't find that av equipment becomes outdated or better cheaper. Yes, HDMI has been added, by as you said the capability isn't the same across price ranges.
Old 02-10-08, 07:35 PM

I have Denon's 3808 and it upconverts to 1080P. You can get it online (online Denon dealer) for about $1000. I've had this receiver for about a month now and it's a great receiver. I also looked at Onkyo(875) Pioneer(94) Yamanha(3800) and Integra(8.8) that do the same thing.