Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

OLD and NEW: VCR-DVD ext. unit (?)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-20-08, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our father has a small TV, built in VHS player, & the latter may've seen better days but the TV works fine. This TV (Magnavox brand, if I recall) has jacks on front, for Audio and Video and Headphones. This setup is still via "rabbit ears" antenna style hookup, so we'll have to get him some sort of converter box by Feb. '09, as I understand it, but...

IF POSSIBLE... I'd like to find a reliable external unit with both DVD & VHS player, that'd plug into jacks on his current TV set, as described above.

What I'm looking for has got to be simple (i.e., no tiny remote with hard to see/read labels, no god awful and confusing set up manual, etc.)

Our father's 93 yrs. old, his eyesight & dexterity may not be like the Bionic Man's - so, order of the day is K.I.S.S., if I can find anything at all like what's described above.

Brand name/model/where to buy info would be vastly appreciated: I'm not a big techie, tho' we have relative who is pretty good, with this stuff, so we may have that base covered.

* Do some/all current models (of type I'm looking for, come with cables, or what would I need to buy)?

Many thanks for your ideas, help, information.

Hunter_1
Old 01-20-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$280 at my local Costco for a Panasonic DVDR/VHS player with an ATSC tuner, killing all your birds in one shot.

But frankly, these combo units may not be any simpler than having 2 separate units. Or 3 in this case, DVD/VCR/tuner. If you want to KISS, then maybe check into remotes as the answer, not relying on DVDp makers to also make good remotes. remotecentral.com, many like the Harmony remotes for simplicity, if the buttons/screen aren't too small.

Not sure of model numbers everywhere, but there are cheaper ones at J&R.
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4157174

Last edited by Spiky; 01-20-08 at 09:53 PM.