Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie to LCD needs Sony 52" Bravia setup advice

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, all. I just received a Sony 52" W3000 Bravia LCD TV about a week ago and I have been trying to calibrate the picture ever since. This is my first LCD TV, but I cant seem to get it looking right. I am using TW Digital cable via HDMI. The majors issues I am running into are:

1: Standard cable looks horrible. The best way I can describe it is it reminds me of a low quality quickcam image: all pixilated and with bunch of artifacts.

2: HD shows have a white, almost washed out look to it. It also has a lot of motion trailing, and not just on fast moving scenes.

I would think I have a fault TV, but Xbox360 games and HD-DVDs looked great. I also tried different HDMI componet cables. If anyone can help me out with some advice I would appreciate it.
Old 12-27-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Have you done any calibration yet? Seems most TV's out of the box are set to torch mode and way to bright for home viewing. I know my LCD was that way. Just turning down the brightness and back light helped a tone.

You can also pick up a calibration disc to help you out. Or if you head over to AVS I'm sure there is a thread on your series of TV and try some of the recommended settings you find there. That is what I did on mine till I get my new DVD player in. The settings I found work well.

Well SD TV pretty much sucks on a HD set. And at that size, I bet it really sux. The TV is showing just how bad that source is. On my 47" set at 4:3 mode and sitting 10 feet away isn't bad....but not great. It actually does better then I thought it would do.

If you don't want to spend the money to upgrade to HD cable, check antennaweb.org and see if you can just use an antenna to get free OTA HD for local channels. That is what I do in our theater room and bar. Tho, now that I got a new TV in the living room I'm going to looking into upgrade from Dish SD to HD.
Old 12-28-07, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I currently have a few HD channels thru my digital cable and the picture is good, but the SD stuff is really horrible. My 32" Aqous isn't like that, but I understand what you mean "The TV is showing just how bad that source is."

I got an Avia calibration disk, but I have played with it as of yet.

Thanks again for the reply.