Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DLP any better than LCD television?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-07, 01:59 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While looking into buying an hdtv, someone told me that DLP are worse than LCD? Is that true? Is there a big difference between the two?

And what about plasmas?
Old 12-26-07, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Yes...there are differences between all technologies. That is why there are different technologies. As for being "better" that is subjective. And even if you wanted to say "plasma is better for XXXX" you could then say "DLP is better for YYYY". You would also have to define "better". Most people have some compromises that must be made, cost, size, etc, etc.

There are a ton of threads and google that talk about all the different options. And your not going to get a meaningful answer without giving more information.
Old 12-26-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
^^^^ What he said.

Lots of threads with lots of opinions. First thing you need to do before delving into the threads is figuring out what you're gonna use your new TV for: Playing games, watching more SD than HD, using the TV as a computer monitor, watching lots of movies.
Old 12-26-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Smoothyella
While looking into buying an hdtv, someone told me that DLP are worse than LCD? Is that true? Is there a big difference between the two?

And what about plasmas?
My first piece of advice would be to stop listening to "someone".

Trust your eyes, visit some stores, read some reviews etc. I have seen all of the technologies, some appeal to certain people, some depend on certain room characteristics.

What do you intend to watch on this tv, satellite, cable, dvd, hd, etc? How far away will you be sitting, what is your budget?

Good luck,
Old 12-26-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find DLP crisper than LCD, in general. And easier to get good color. As long as RBE doesn't affect you.

The nice thing about DLP is there is only one company making the video assembly (called a DMD), Texas Instruments. So quality is consistent and based on which era DMD is in the TV, since they have improved over the years. LCDs are made by all sorts, and quality varies. Epson and Sony usually have the best small LCD panels for projection TVs. But the large LCDs in flat screens are a little harder to keep track of.
Old 12-27-07, 04:02 PM
Cool New Member

Well here's what a few have said:

http://forums.sohh.com/showthread.php?t=952947&page=4
Old 12-27-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, that's an embarrassing page. Human?
Old 12-27-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
And people give me a hard time when I try to tell them about the uphill battle hdm is going to have for years to come.

Oh my. I stopped reading at the word "projectory"

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 12-27-07 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-27-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You posted a link, but still haven't told us how you plan to use the TV, your price range, size, what is important to you in a set, etc, etc.

You simply cannot say one technology is better then another in all cases. And anyone that tried to is being silly.
Old 12-27-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say price is the first thing to consider. Figure out how much you want to spend and start there. There is always something for everyone in every price range.
Old 12-27-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is some info:

A plasma TV might be for you if:

* You want really rich, warm colors and deep blacks.
* You'll be sitting off-axis when you watch TV or movies.
*You want 1080p picture resolution — the highest resolution currently available
* You don't watch a lot of TV shows or play lots of video games with static images on the screen for more than a few hours at a time.
* Your room doesn't have a lot of ambient light, or you can easily reduce the light by closing the blinds, for example.

An LCD TV might be for you if:

* You watch a lot of TV shows or play lots of video games with static images on the screen for extended periods of time, multiple days a week.
* Your TV room is relatively bright, or you do a lot of daytime viewing.
* You want 1080p picture resolution — the highest resolution currently available — so you'll see a very sharp, detailed picture. There are many more 1080p LCDs than plasmas.
*you are planning to use the screen as a computer monitor
* You're looking for ways to save energy. LCD TVs usually consume less power than plasma models of the same size.
Old 12-27-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You are talking generalities. As for burn in, this is from the Samsung web site who probably sell more flat panel LCD's then anyone...

Are LCD TVs Subject To Screen Burn In?

Although much less susceptible than Plasma TVs, LCD TVs are still subject to screen burn in (image retention). In general, you should avoid keeping a static picture (that is, a picture that contains no or few moving elements) or a picture with static elements (black bars, black borders, logos, etc.) on your LCD TV for more than two hours at a time. If, for example, you have your TV set to 4x3, and have black borders on the top and bottom, or on the sides, changing the picture size for a minute or two every couple of hours, say during commercials or in between shows, would decrease the chance of screen burn in. Reducing the brightness and contrast of the screen when it is displaying static elements will also decrease the chance of burn in.

If you are using your LCD TV as a computer monitor, the same general rule holds true: Avoid keeping a static picture or a picture with static elements (black bars, black borders, logos, etc.) on your LCD TV for more than two hours at a time. Make sure you change the image on your screen periodically. Also, if you intend to leave your PC unattended for long periods of time, or you leave the same image on your screen while you work on other things for extended periods of time, you should set up a screen saver that goes on after about twenty minutes, or set up your monitor so that it turns off if unattended for more than twenty minutes.

The advice above also holds true if you are using your TV to play video games. Avoid keeping a static picture or a picture with static elements (black bars, black borders, logos, etc.) on your LCD TV for more than two hours at a time. Make sure you change the image on your screen periodically.

Important: Burn in damage is not covered under warranty.
Old 12-28-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spiky
I find DLP crisper than LCD, in general. And easier to get good color. As long as RBE doesn't affect you.
I think DLP has a crisper picture than LCD, in general as well.

I find that if you're playing SD DVDs, DLP makes them look much better than most LCD HDTV's. I'm sure curtain LCD models can make your SD DVDs look really good (with a DVD up-converting player), but even if you just have a regular DVD player, DLP makes them look just about as good as CRT TV's.

I don't know if you're just going to be playing SD DVDs or BD/HD DVDs, but DLP is the best way to go if you want to play all formats. I don't currently own an HDTV, but I have a friend who owns one, and it's a DLP. Best bang for your buck, IMO.
Old 12-28-07, 10:40 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
You posted a link, but still haven't told us how you plan to use the TV, your price range, size, what is important to you in a set, etc, etc.

You simply cannot say one technology is better then another in all cases. And anyone that tried to is being silly.
I'm looking for a HDTV that has great image quality because i like to watch alot of live sporting events like Basketball and Boxing events. I would also like to watch these in HD.

I dont watch alot of tv shows, but I do have a huge collections of DVD's and would like to take full use of it. I'll probabley get blu-ray player later on (but thats another topic). I want a HDTV that'll give me home theater like presentation.
Old 12-28-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well at first I was going to recommend the Pioneer 5080H plasma. Serious nice TV. I really like it. Or for less money the Panasonic 720p plamas's are very sweet. Or maybe the Sony SXRD series.

But then you said you wanted a HDTV "that'll give me home theater like persentation". IMHO the ONLY thing that will do that is a front projector. Unless your definition of home theater presentation is different then mine, it all starts with going big.

I'd look at something like

Optoma HD80
Panasonic AE100U or AE2000U
Mitsubishi HC5000

You can then get a screen in the 100" to 120" that will look very, very sweet.

I have a 94" screen and my front row of seating is right at 10 feet with the rear row is about 12.5feet from screen. For HD and DVD either row is fine, but I like to sit in the back row for non HD / DVD stuff.

Once you go big, you will never look at another display the same way again.