Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My room layout...ideas for components (pics)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-11-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, im back with another question about my new panny setup. This time its more about what to do with my components after I mount my plasma...I still want to run the cables but I am still having a problem with what to do with the cabinet after the tv is off it. I want to move it because with it still there, the bottom of the tv will only be slightly above it.

However, what can I do with my components... take a look at pics and in pic two there is an open space between that end table and the start of a kitchen counter where I could (possibly) but a cabinet, but then id be pointing the remote to the left to change any channels etc and that would be weird...but what else can I do? not having the cabinet there, or having a smaller one would be nice since i put put somethign else there like a plant or something...

Also, sinec ill be mounting it right about level with the thermostat, do i even need a tilting mount? I know for the price I should anyway, but the non-tilting has a lower profile..or is the tilting still going to come in handy

tv and cabinet

couch and rears

Last edited by DigitalDuck; 12-11-07 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-11-07, 11:12 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
What model is the tv? It looks great.
Old 12-12-07, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible to get a wider, lower profile (23 inches tall max) stand? That way, your components will have a home and the stand won't seem in the way. I'm eventually having a 92 inch diagonal screen and a front projector installed in my media room, and I'm going to be using a 55 inch wide by 23 inch tall stand for my 9 components, including my center channel speaker. Here's a 3-D mock-up I did of the front wall (assume the solid block is the stand):

New screen

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 12-12-07 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Howiewfan its the plasma TH-50PX75U, thanks for the compliment..Rocky thats a possibility
Old 12-12-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Try a remote with power, it won't matter much which way you point it.

Old 12-12-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
I highly, highly second the MX-500. Awesome remote.
Old 12-13-07, 03:05 PM

Be sure to consider what cables and connections are required between your components and the TV, and where is cableTV wall jack. Seems like the couch wall location requires cables run under the floor or over the ceiling...is it possible to do? I like the lower-and-wider cabinet idea; seems that your main dislike of existing cabinet is its height in relation to TV placement.
Old 12-13-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jonny... right now the cables for the satellites are run along the patio doro and behind the couch..relaly dont notice them..so if i extended the cables to reach the components it wouldnt be difficult..there are cables there now. However, I do like the lo profile cabinet idea too.. then I wouldnt have to have a glass door and could get something in a drk brown to match my tables and couch etc... hmm
Old 12-13-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You should also consider placing your rear speakers higher than ear level. You should get a decent pair of stands or wall mounts.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....s&nrp=15&iht=n

Check out this stand. It looks like your furniture but the color is wrong.

http://www.tvstandshowcase.com/cherr...nd-cabinet.htm

Last edited by mrhan; 12-13-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by DigitalDuck
Howiewfan its the plasma TH-50PX75U, thanks for the compliment..Rocky thats a possibility

I'm seriously looking at that TV. I know it doesn't have the anti-glare, but I like the speakers below, rather then in the sides. Where did you get it???

I have the Harmony 880 and love it. I have a front projection set up and it has a wide beam. So even if you "aim" it to the screen it picks up my components 90 degrees to the screen. Not an issue at all.

Old 12-14-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey guys, I am going to order my mount toda..but was wondering: with where im going to be moujnting it height wise, do I even need a tilting wall mount? Then I could go with a low profile mount instead...however I thought from the beginning that the tilting option woudl be good..but at that height would I need it? Im leaning more towards the tilting mount, but want feeback...
Old 12-14-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If your mounting it above eye level get the tilting mount.
Old 12-14-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah , it will be just about eye level.. check out this post where another user had kind of made a mock up of a good level...even thought its tough to determine from the pic related to the couch...

Link here
Old 12-14-07, 04:58 PM

Ideally, you could test it out. Find a way to temporarily raise your TV to the new height. Use some bricks or boards or books or something to create a solid platform on which your TV or cabinet would rest. Then watch TV for a few days, to see how it really looks and get a better evaluation of the need for tilt.
Old 12-14-07, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ideally that would be great...but decided to order the angle mount because I wanted it here before xmas..man they ship out quick..same dame actually. So, hopefully it's not too far away from the wall as opposed to the slim profile mount...we'll see