Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problem with receiver...and a couple of questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Toshiba 65H80 RPTV from 2001 that works great, and it has two component inputs (one is currently hooked up to my HD-A1 and the other is used for Directv). I'm running audio via Optical connections to my Denon AVR-3300 receiver. A couple of comments/questions:

1) I'm considering purchasing a Blu Ray player to complement my HD-A1. How would you hook it up? to the 65H80? via Optical? or maybe I should route everything through the AVR-3300. Unfortunately no HDMI at this time.

2) To compound things, my Denon AVR-3300 makes a high pitch sound sometimes during use. A local electronic repair shop couldn't find any problem with it, even though the entire family can hear the high pitch when it occurs, whether watching satellite or dvd. I'm not sure if it is worth it to ship the unit back to Denon's customer service center for repair versus upgrading the receiver. Would you get it fixed anyways? The new Onkyo's with HDMI look very enticing.

3) The time is coming sooner than later when I'll want to upgrade my RPTV. All I know is that it will have to be at least a 65' screen size since I cannot imagine going smaller. Many have said that the RPTV's, like mine, still produce the best blacks to this day. Would you replace it anyways? I paid $2400 for it back in 2001, but like I said earlier, it looks great even though I have not had it professionally calibrated.

The one thing I do know is that the receiver problem needs to be addressed and I would like to be HD format neutral. Your input on my multiple questions is certainly appreciated!
~Tom

Last edited by tofferman; 07-27-07 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-28-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1) With component to your TV, and with 5.1 analog output to the receiver. So don't get a PS3, it doesn't have analog output. Does the 3300 have component switching? You could run 2 of the 3 sources through there short term.

2) That sucks, that's a great receiver. If they can't find anything wrong, how are they planning to fix it? Can you narrow it down to certain inputs or types of input signal? Or certain audio channels, etc. I own an Onkyo and love it, but I'm thinking you would be dropping down in sound quality from the 3300 to an Onkyo unless you get one of the top models. Like the Integra 7.8 or Onkyo txsr805.

3) Spend $400 and have it calibrated instead of dropping down to LCD/DLP just for HDMI. Wait for front projector LCOS 1080p TVs to drop down into the $2000 range.

(I always recommend really big screens, it's a disease)
Old 07-28-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
1) With component to your TV, and with 5.1 analog output to the receiver. So don't get a PS3, it doesn't have analog output. Does the 3300 have component switching? You could run 2 of the 3 sources through there short term.

2) That sucks, that's a great receiver. If they can't find anything wrong, how are they planning to fix it? Can you narrow it down to certain inputs or types of input signal? Or certain audio channels, etc. I own an Onkyo and love it, but I'm thinking you would be dropping down in sound quality from the 3300 to an Onkyo unless you get one of the top models. Like the Integra 7.8 or Onkyo txsr805.

3) Spend $400 and have it calibrated instead of dropping down to LCD/DLP just for HDMI. Wait for front projector LCOS 1080p TVs to drop down into the $2000 range.

(I always recommend really big screens, it's a disease)
Hi Spiky,
According to the Denon manual, it does have component video switching (for DVD and TV/DBS), so you are correct that I could run 2 of the 3 sources through the receiver.

It was a local electronic repair shop that couldn't find/replicate the high pitch sound. It happens sporadically for both dvd and satellite (I don't use the receiver for radio or cd playback). Shipping this receiver to Denon wouldn't be cheap and I imagine they will charge a nice fee to fix it. Based on what you are saying, it may still be worth it.

I'm currently reside in Bend, Oregon, so I would have to pay to have someone come out (i.e. fly) to properly calibrate it unless I can find someone in Portland or Seattle. How do I find someone in the Northwest who is capable of an ISF calibration? Your mentioning of a front projector LCOS 1080p TV sounds very intriguing...and yes I always tell people to get the biggest screen size possible. With your suggestion, I can go even bigger.

Last edited by tofferman; 07-28-07 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-28-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ever been to HTS? That's Hometheaterspot.com. HT forum specializing in RPTVs, started by a guy trying to get his Mits set up well. He is up in WA or somewhere PacNW, too. They used to have lists and discussion with calibrators. And not just local store guys who happened to take the ISF certification, guys who became experts at specific models and traveled the country doing calibrations. Often times you wouldn't have to pay travel costs if they already had a trip planned through your area. I think there was this guy name Craig in northern CA, among others.

At one point I was going to buy a Pioneer 65" and have a guy come from Iowa up to Minneapolis to calibrate it. If I didn't suddenly start looking at BIG screens, that is. And with the digitals, having a calibration wasn't quite as important, easier to do it yourself.

Maybe you can get a Denon tech on the phone and see if a detailed description can get you a guess on the problem, and hence an estimate. It's not that the 3300 is the greatest receiver ever, but it did have some longevity due to a nice amp for the price. It would be nice if Yamaha and Denon would come out with a new set of receivers for comparison, only Onkyo has announced the next gen, like the ones I mentioned above. And it hardly seems worth buying one right now without HDMI 1.3, TrueHD, etc., since all that is just coming out.
Old 07-28-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi Spiky,
It's been some time since I have been on Hometheaterspot, based out of Seattle. I'll check there for calibration referrals. Thanks!