Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can a receiver do this?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can a receiver do this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Can a receiver do this?

I did a search for receivers but didn't find any that addressed this question. I actually feel stupid for asking but I honestly don't know...

Is there a receiver made that you can adjust the front speakers volume? I have a JVC receiver that is about 8 years old and recently began showing some ticks, and I have thought about upgrading it. The only thing I never really liked about it or any at the time was I could not adjust the speaker volume on the front L/R speakers like I can with the center, bass and rears.

So if anyone know the answer let me know, also brands and models would be most helpful.

OR do I just need one with more power per channel?
Old 04-27-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by d2cheer
I did a search for receivers but didn't find any that addressed this question. I actually feel stupid for asking but I honestly don't know...

Is there a receiver made that you can adjust the front speakers volume? I have a JVC receiver that is about 8 years old and recently began showing some ticks, and I have thought about upgrading it. The only thing I never really liked about it or any at the time was I could not adjust the speaker volume on the front L/R speakers like I can with the center, bass and rears.

So if anyone know the answer let me know, also brands and models would be most helpful.

OR do I just need one with more power per channel?
Well I am not sure how to answer the question.

If this is a surround sound receiver (which you seem to describe it) you are adjusting the L/R speakers with the volume control. That is you set the front speakers to a reference level and adjust the others to that. Then all the speakers are at the proper setting for a balanced soundfield.
Old 04-27-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont understand your question at all.

you want to adjust the volume or increase the level for individual speakers?

it sounds like you want to adjust the levels, not the volume.

example:
if the main listening position in the room is left of center, theoretically you want to increase the level of the right speaker so that when sound is "thrown" to the listening position it will be at the same level.

if you are buying a new receiver almost all of them will have this feature built in which you adjust with test tones, and MANY of them come with a microphone that you place in the listening position and run test tones to that will then automatically adjust the receiver/speaker levels to match properly.
Old 04-27-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well I am not sure how to answer the question.

If this is a surround sound receiver (which you seem to describe it) you are adjusting the L/R speakers with the volume control. That is you set the front speakers to a reference level and adjust the others to that. Then all the speakers are at the proper setting for a balanced soundfield.

That answered it, I must be having a brain fart today... Thanks