DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

can my receiver get any of the new sound formats?

Old 04-26-07, 08:47 PM

can my receiver get any of the new sound formats?

I have a yamaha rx-v995 and i purchased around 5 years ago and wondering if my receiver can get pcm 5.1 or any of the other sound formats. Knowing it doesnt have hdmi 1.3, I know I can't get DTS Master audio, or DOLBY TRUEHD, but wondering if anyway i can get PCM 5.1.
Old 04-26-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lord no.
Old 04-26-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Are you talking about the PCM 5.1 on HD and BR discs? If so, nope. All the other new formats, nope.

But, I wouldn't necessarily be worried about it. You'll have DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 (regular version) and these are still not too bad for a decent-sounding system.
Old 04-27-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does it have an analog 5.1 input? If so, you can get all of these formats from a properly equipped player.
Old 04-27-07, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Lord no.

Because i heard if your receiver has analog 5.1 input your receiver is cable of doing it. On the yamaha websites, it says

"Connectors across the back incorporate not only 5.1 discrete analog inputs and preamplifier outputs (pre-puts), but also a bundle of source ins and outs. "

So I'm not sure if its capable of getting the new sound formats.

Here is the link for the review of the receiver. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-receiver.html
Old 04-27-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What Spiky said. You should be ok then.
Old 04-27-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure I understand the question? Do you have the manual? In its day this was a top of the line receiver.

BUILT-IN DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS DECODING
The most advanced and realistic encoded surround sound for movies. The new Dolby Digital and DTS systems are fully discrete providing six channels of sound. Five are full-frequency channels, and the sixth is a low frequency effects channel. Dolby Digital is available on DVD and laserdisc. DTS is available on DVD, LD, and CD
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...UTE&RLTID=1505

It also provides decent video switching, plenty of inputs, digital connections, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, and 5.1 analog inputs
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-receiver.html
Old 04-27-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

that receiver definitely has analog inputs so you can definitely take advantage of the newer audio formats.

if your player can do the decoding it will send it via the analog outputs to your receiver.

the ONLY problem you would have is with something like a PS3 where there are no analog outputs.
Old 04-27-07, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
that receiver definitely has analog inputs so you can definitely take advantage of the newer audio formats.

if your player can do the decoding it will send it via the analog outputs to your receiver.

the ONLY problem you would have is with something like a PS3 where there are no analog outputs.

First, I want to thank all you guys for helping me out. I have the sony blu ray player and how would i go about so my receiver go about outputting the sound. Im not really sure how it works and any input would be appreciated. If i use analog cables, the receiver will automatically detect the analog inputs?
Old 04-27-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
First, I want to thank all you guys for helping me out. I have the sony blu ray player and how would i go about so my receiver go about outputting the sound. Im not really sure how it works and any input would be appreciated. If i use analog cables, the receiver will automatically detect the analog inputs?

there should be a button on the front that says "multi-channel in".

instead of switching to dvd, cd, etc, you switch to that.
Old 04-27-07, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
there should be a button on the front that says "multi-channel in".

instead of switching to dvd, cd, etc, you switch to that.

thank you sospacey. You are very helpful.
Old 04-27-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HEHE I love it , you're about to shit yourself with the quality you're about to hear.
Old 04-27-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hdtv00
HEHE I love it , you're about to shit yourself with the quality you're about to hear.
I'm a little confused as to how this works. Basically, this is HD sound being converted from digital to analog if he uses the analof outputs?

This will sound better tan regular DTS or DD 5.1 using the digital outputs (optical or coaxial)?
Old 04-27-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, yeah. Keep in mind that your speakers are analog. Eventually, everything you here is technically analog. Switching from digital to analog cables just means you are changing which machine changes the signal to analog. And with the new codecs and old receivers, you need to do it this way to preserve the quality.