Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with new Sharp Aquos?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-07, 02:40 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my new Sharp Aquos (42") for about three weeks now and I really like it. But, I've had two problems with it and the latter one (which I experienced tonight) has really started to get me worried about a possible defect in my TV. I'm not sure if anyone on this board can help, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

The first problem I had (and I'm still experiencing it,) is with my PS3 and HDMI. I had it hooked up to my Samsung that I had, with component cables and it worked fine. But, now that I try to hook it up through HDMI, it won't transmit any video. All I get is audio and a black screen.

I've tried to fix it by:

- Plugging the component cables back in and switching the video output to HDMI
- Unplugging the HDMI and trying to plug it into another HDMI input
- Resetting the system's settings, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly.

But, to no avail. I still can't hook it up through HDMI, although I really want to have it hooked up through 1080p. Plus, it'll free up a component input.

The problem I experienced tonight was the exact same thing, but with my 360. I had been playing it for 2-3 hours earlier tonight, without experiencing any problems. I shut it off properly (by going to the dashboard) and I didn't touch the component cables at all. I had my door closed so I know that none of my cats got in, so the component cable was never touched.

I came home a few hours later and went to play some Rainbow Six Vegas. I changed it to the correct input for the 360, but all I got was a black screen with audio. I fooled around with the component cable and unplugged it/plugged it back in. I got a bit of an image, but it was out of focus, fuzzy, and had colourful wavy patterns coming off some of the visuals. So, I went behind the TV again and fooled with the cable again, and it somehow went back to normal.

I know that there's a chance that the 360's component cable may have a short in it, but the fact that it was never moved or touched, makes me think that there may be more of a problem than that. What I'm really worried about is whether or not it's a problem with my new TV, as it's the exact same problem I'm experiencing with my PS3.

Any ideas? Think it's the TV?
Old 04-27-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
It sounds like to me that your set is having problems handling the resolution feed. Do you have similar issues with HD broadcasts?

You should alway check the simplest issues first. Get new component and HDMI cables (MONOPRICE.COM) and swap them out. If the problem persists, try to borrow a friend's PS3 or 360 and see if the problem is replicated. Afterwards, you may be facing a repair issue. However, it's possible that it may be as simple as an image board swap, which can be done fairly quickly.
Old 04-27-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What resolution is the PS3 outputting? What resolution is the TV accepting.

Check these and make sure they are for the correct input, if necessary start at a lower resolution first and work your way up.
Old 04-27-07, 09:10 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The TV can output 1080p, which is the main reason I went out and purchased it. But, I haven't been able to get it to output it with anything I have.

I have Bell's HD ExpressVu and it works perfectly, through component. I have two inputs and it uses one of them. The highest it goes is 1080i, which I guess is obvious. That's what I have it set at.

The 360 is through component, but I have it set to 1080p, in case it will maybe upscale, or something. I never heard that it was wrong to do that. I think it's outputting 1080i though, because the TV can't accept 1080p over component and the input menu tells me that it's just a 1080i source.

The PS3 has been working fine with 1080i, but the HDMI cable won't work.
Old 04-27-07, 09:20 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm not going to buy another component cable for the 360 as I'm actually going to be selling it in order to help fund a purchase of an XBOX 360 Elite, next week. I want to be able to output my 360/HD-DVD drive to 1080p and it'll free up my other component input, by allowing me to hook it up through HDMI.

But, I'm thinking about taking the Monster HDMI cable that I bought back. I didn't pay $130 for shit.
Old 04-27-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The PS3 has been working fine with 1080i, but the HDMI cable won't work
As previously suggested I would try a cable swap.

What are you playing in the PS3 that is 1080p to output?
Old 04-27-07, 12:05 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've been watching Blu-ray discs that have a native output of 1080p. But, I'm forced to watch them in 1080i through the component cables.