DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone USING an XM-Ready Receiver?

Old 04-24-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone USING an XM-Ready Receiver?

So my receiver is XM ready and I can not figure out what I need to buy to get it working.

The product page says I need the XM Connect and Play antenna.

When I search on Amazon I get the following results....

LINK

There are multiple results that come up and I don't want to buy more than I need since I never return anything to Amazon. It all just sits in my car.

Do I only need the antenna? Do I need the kit for $29.99 that includes an antenna and the mini-tuner?

Why do I need a mini-tuner if the receiver is XM ready? I still need to have something sitting on top of my receiver?
Old 04-25-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great post as I'm wondering the same thing... Sometimes it seems all you need is the antennae and then sometimes it seems you need something else.
Old 04-25-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Without knowing what your receivers model #s are, it's impossible to give you any answer. Who knows what you need, when nobody even knows what you have. You probably do need an antenna unless it already came with one. Can't get service without an antenna.
Old 04-25-07, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by renaldow
Without knowing what your receivers model #s are, it's impossible to give you any answer. Who knows what you need, when nobody even knows what you have. You probably do need an antenna unless it already came with one. Can't get service without an antenna.

My receiver model is right there in my signature.

Obviously we need an antenna. The Yamaha web site says "XM Plug & Play" adapter needed. Amazon lists the plug and play as either an antenna only and a kit with a mini-tuner.
Old 04-25-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://reviews.cnet.com/Yamaha_RX_V1...-32004259.html

It's also XM-ready, which means that you only need to plug in a Connect-and-Play antenna (such as the XM Mini-Tuner) and you can receive XM programming--assuming you have a subscription, of course. There's also support for XM's surround format, Neural Surround.
I doubt your receiver has an XM tuner in it. You'll need an external one as well as an XM subscription based on that tuner's ID.
Old 04-25-07, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
http://reviews.cnet.com/Yamaha_RX_V1...-32004259.html

I doubt your receiver has an XM tuner in it. You'll need an external one as well as an XM subscription based on that tuner's ID.

then what does XM ready mean? That it can merely communicate with a special min-tuner and display the information on my receiver's display?
Old 04-25-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, that's all it means.
Old 04-25-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
My receiver model is right there in my signature.

Obviously we need an antenna. The Yamaha web site says "XM Plug & Play" adapter needed. Amazon lists the plug and play as either an antenna only and a kit with a mini-tuner.
Pinata is correct - you need both. I have a Sony XM Ready tuner and I needed both to work. XM Ready doesn't seem to mean much more than it has a hole that the XM tuner will plug into, and that the receiver will display the XM information. They should bundle them together though.
Old 04-30-07, 08:13 PM

I ran into the same dilemma over my Onkyo being XM ready and kept looking for something to allow XM.

I then realized that I have DirecTv and they include the XM channels already!

I saved myself from having to spend $50 for a kit