Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Receiver question(movies to quiet)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Onkyo 6.1 receiver I was watching Return of the King and most of the quiet scenes are Way to quiet but in battle scenes it is perfect.
Any ideas on what could cause this? any seetings to check?
Old 04-30-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your "quiet" scenes may only involve dialog (center channel) where as the battle scenes play through your mains.

Is your center channel speaker timbre matched to your other speakers?

Did you calibrate your system?

I would first try and turn up the center channel.
Old 04-30-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What speakers are you using?

Check your test tones. Check your wiring, if the center is out of polarity with the mains this could cause the problem. Make sure that red is red and black is black on both the receiver end and the speaker end.

Check to make sure that you are using the right decode setting and that you are not using a "phantom" center channel mode.
Old 04-30-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am using Fluance speakers all around, they are budget speakers that were getting decent reviews an avsforum a few years ago.

I will have to check to make sure red is to red and black to black when I get home. I haven't recalibrated the system since I changed rooms but I will be doing that soon. I have tried turning the center channel up but no luck.

As far as decoding I put it on dts and put the dts 6.1 track on the dvd. When I change it off dts to "surround" it sounds better in dialogue but worse overall.
Old 04-30-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If the center channel is working and is not out of phase, it may be a settings issue. Start with something simple, just reegular dolby surround and see if that is correct. Then you can check dolby digital and dts.

If the center channel is not outputting the tones correctly of not making sound it may be damaged.
Old 04-30-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other possibility is that everything is fine, and movies have more dynamic range than the OP is used to -- or wants. If everything else checks out, you might want to try switching on the "midnight" or similarly named mode on your receiver or DVD player.
Old 04-30-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am going to try a different movie and see if that helps. I have seen LOTR trilogy using this equipment before, and haven't had this problem. If dynamic range includes not being able to hear quiet scenes then no I don't want it

The center sounds strong in test mode, Dolby surround does sound good up front but of course overall not as great.
Old 04-30-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can depend on the movie. LOTR are fairly loud, so if you have it set with the loud parts at a normal volume, you may find the quiet moments too quiet. DTS is more well-rounded on these discs, though, the Dolby would be even worse.