Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Requesting some advice about my set up.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-07, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just moved into a new place, it's a roommate situation, I got the up stairs room. Right now, I have my set up like this:

But I want to change it so it's like this:

The problem is, I'm not sure how I can set up the wiring. The LCD will be wall mounted, and I have a Comcast DVR (HD), Oppo DVD player, and maybe have a HT receiver. I want to put them in that corner where the arrow is pointing, but I want to have the television on the other wall.

The door in between is the bathroom door. What's the best wiring set up so it won't look so cluttered? If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-13-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could wrap it around the door. Could put it under a rug of some sort in front of the door. Could dig into the walls and make it invisible, but that is a lot of work in a finished house.
Old 03-14-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First, I would take out the trash ... I would probably go around the door. Although the more wires you have, it will start to look shitty. You could go underneath and put a little runner or area carpet over the wires, but that might not look as good as you want it to.
Old 03-14-07, 10:38 AM

I guess this is a "Component Wires 101" question, but do they have to be thick? I have a Comcast HD DVR and the wires are real thick, is it because of better picture quality and sound? or can I use the thin Component cables? Will I notice a major loss in quality? If not, I will only be connecting thin Component cables and one HDMI-DVI, plus audio (for the DVD Player) wire from the corner to the Television and I can probably work with that.

Last edited by BMan100; 03-14-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd go with the cables under the rug since it will be a shorter run. Is there a split in the carpet under the door? If that's a closet door there's should be a split in there somewhere. You can run the wires under there. You should also get flat wires for your speakers when you set up your HT.
Old 03-14-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Can you show some other pictures of the room? I'm usually pretty good at this type of thing and could get a better idea of the situation.

It's like seeing the back.... nevermind...

Also, not sure if I'd recommend a wall mount if you're renting. Mine was a pain to put in. Think I ended up mostly stripping both screws. Why can't they use hex screws?!!
Old 03-14-07, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Can you show some other pictures of the room? I'm usually pretty good at this type of thing and could get a better idea of the situation.
Here are some other views, I'm putting it above the computer desk, because it's opposite from the bed, so I can just lay down and watch. (Mind the mess on the desk )

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 03-14-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Is that a metal strip under the door? If there's screws holding it there should a cut in the carpet. Unscrew it and lift the carpet. Usually there is some sort of groove or channel there in which the cables should fit. Or is that just a reflection from the other side of the door?
Old 03-14-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Can you snap a picture from the door going the other way? =P
Old 03-14-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you can get your hands on it, silver component cable can be very thin. My 5 channel silver component cable is thinner than my 3 channel copper stuff.
Old 03-17-07, 01:56 PM

So I've had a change of heart and decided that the easiest solution is to leave everything where's it's at, so right now I'm trying to find a black corner table where it can fit that corner wall perfectly--any suggestions?

Also, since the entire home theater unit is located in a corner, how do I setup surround sound--I'll take more pics to get a better idea with what I'm working with, but it's not uncommon to have surround sound when the television isn't centered, is it?

Thanks again.
Old 03-17-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Put all the speakers in the proper place in the room as if the TV was centered. So basically in the 4 corners.

Except for the center, put that centered on the TV as usual.