Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

BOSE 3-2-1 Comments

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
BOSE 3-2-1 Comments

I saw in Best Buy the other day, and have seen many promos on TV about the BOSE 3-2-1 Wireless Surround Sound System. It has only 2 front speakers and I believe one sub woofer, but is able to create realistic surround in your room the way a 5 speaker/subwoofer would do.

Does anyone have this?

Is this is a proven technology?

How is the wireless speakers, is there any interference?

Is it as good as 5 speaker surround systems?

I retails for about $999.99, so I would appreciate any feedback before I spend that kinda dough.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whatever you do do not buy BOSE.

Its all marketing. There are SO MANY better systems you can get for that money. Bose is overpriced junk.

NO Highs
NO Lows
Must be Bose

Buy
Oother
Sound
Equipment

Read up on hometheaterforum and avs and trust me you wont buy it. Actually dont bother wasting time reading it becasue when you do you will never buy a Bose proudct. Just trust me.

What are you looking for in a home theater system? Size? Budget?
Old 01-16-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Uh oh...

Bose....just say no!!

Just for fun ask a Bose rep for a spec sheet. One that shows frequency response, crossover points, etc. Just see if he doesn't say "Let your ears decide!" That's when you punch him in the mouth!!

Really, provide with what you need so we can make suggestions. Room size, for movies, music, both? Budget?

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 01-16-07 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-16-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Against my recommendations, my parents bought one of these about a month ago. In no way, shape, or form does this sound like surround sound. The speakers are not wireless, but a single cord goes into the subwoofer, which feeds wires to the two speakers.

I suppose it sounds ok for a 2 channel system, but for $1,000 you could do much, much, better & have real surround sound.
Old 01-16-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
OP,

There appears to be an overly-venomous, near-violent reaction to your question. And to the follow-up posters who have spewed their Bose-bashing bile for all the world to see, I only have two words:

“Well said.”

Avoid these speakers at all costs.
Old 01-16-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Not to hijack here, but, when I was old enough to start buying my own HT equipment (mid-80's), Bose was all the rage...what happened? I personally only have a set of 301's that I use on a secondary system, but what the Hell happened, or were they always shit? When I was working my $3.50/hour job I kept saying someday I'm gonna get me a set of 901's!!! I never got 'em, but have always wondered what I was missing, which apparently was nothing.
Old 01-16-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Not to hijack here, but, when I was old enough to start buying my own HT equipment (mid-80's), Bose was all the rage...what happened? I personally only have a set of 301's that I use on a secondary system, but what the Hell happened, or were they always shit? When I was working my $3.50/hour job I kept saying someday I'm gonna get me a set of 901's!!! I never got 'em, but have always wondered what I was missing, which apparently was nothing.

Good question.

We were all stupid at one time or another in our lives and most of us fell for their marketing. Any wonder why Bose is a very valuable company? It's PR & sales. Why else would people pay $500 for radios with empty plastic chambers. Oh, I forgot, it's called wave technology!
Old 01-16-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Nothing happened except the marketing got old.

I remember being introduced to the world of high end audio. At the time the store I visited even sold 901's along with Dahlquist, Magnepan, B&W etc.

It did not take long to listen to several different speakers and conclude that 901's were nothing special. I still have to this day 26 years later my Magnepan MG1's which I still love.

Bose never has been anything other than a heavily marketed idea company.

Finally if you would like, see if you can find a store that will let you compare the Bose to anything else side by side. If you like the Bose better after that, buy it.
Old 01-16-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if Bose sounds decent to you, you can do far better for less money.

Friends don't let friends buy Bose.
Old 01-16-07, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by coli
I saw in Best Buy the other day, and have seen many promos on TV about the BOSE 3-2-1 Wireless Surround Sound System. It has only 2 front speakers and I believe one sub woofer, but is able to create realistic surround in your room the way a 5 speaker/subwoofer would do.
Bose doesn't use subwoofer - I believe it's called a "base module" (or something like that). They know so much better than all of the other manufacturers...
Old 01-16-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
They were always shit.

I worked in a high end audio store thru the mid-80's, and we never carried them. But we alway had people coming in looking for them. Basically we told them if you want Bose we have nothing here that would interest you.
Old 01-17-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
They were always shit.

I worked in a high end audio store thru the mid-80's, and we never carried them. But we alway had people coming in looking for them. Basically we told them if you want Bose we have nothing here that would interest you.

they were always shit except back then there was not internet where we could find out they were shit.

no expert was going to take out full page ads in magazines to say so.

marketing back then was all about tv, radio, and print....Bose did very well with that and there were no internet forums, review web sites, etc that could dispute it and get the real word out.

The internet killed Bose! Yay Internet!
Old 01-22-07, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Even if Bose sounds decent to you, you can do far better for less money.
talemyn said it best... Mr. Salty is good, Mr. Salty is wise.
Old 01-23-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I like putting up this link everytime someone mentions bose:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Old 01-23-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
I like putting up this link everytime someone mentions bose:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html