Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Questions on HDMI connection

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm rather confused with things I read about HDMI connection in various forums and talks.

In DVD player with HDMI, this connection enables digital direct connection without any convesion to analog, right? So it is said that any sources you have will be displayed as it is. What I mean is, if we're using 16:9 TV, 1.85:1 material will be displayed with a wee bit black bar on top and bottom. If it's 4:3 or widescreen non-anamorphic then it will be automatically pillarboxed. Is this true?

Then if I have widescreen non anamorphic material, such as trailer, or even the feature film itself, I can't zoom it to fill the screen like what we usually can do if we use analog connection, such as component. Is it true? Or it depends on the player and TV?

Now in Hi-Def sector, I also read that in the current Blu-Ray and HD DVD player, the HDMI connection they have can't carry the DD Plus or whatever-the-name-is of that hi-def audio signal - we have to rely on the player to process it and make connection to AV receiver via analog... So the current HDMI application is not what we expect? It is always promoted that this connection can acarry audio & video signla - so to save cabling... But that's not the case now isn't it?
Old 01-19-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Djangoman
I'm rather confused with things I read about HDMI connection in various forums and talks.

In DVD player with HDMI, this connection enables digital direct connection without any convesion to analog, right? So it is said that any sources you have will be displayed as it is. What I mean is, if we're using 16:9 TV, 1.85:1 material will be displayed with a wee bit black bar on top and bottom. If it's 4:3 or widescreen non-anamorphic then it will be automatically pillarboxed. Is this true?

Then if I have widescreen non anamorphic material, such as trailer, or even the feature film itself, I can't zoom it to fill the screen like what we usually can do if we use analog connection, such as component. Is it true? Or it depends on the player and TV?

Now in Hi-Def sector, I also read that in the current Blu-Ray and HD DVD player, the HDMI connection they have can't carry the DD Plus or whatever-the-name-is of that hi-def audio signal - we have to rely on the player to process it and make connection to AV receiver via analog... So the current HDMI application is not what we expect? It is always promoted that this connection can acarry audio & video signla - so to save cabling... But that's not the case now isn't it?
I'm just going to answer questions and hope I hit most of it.

Last part first - only HDMI 1.3 will carry a TrueHD or DTS-MA over bitstream to the receiver. This is NOT AN ISSUE. If your receiver accepts multichannel PCM over HDMI, then you will get the advanced audio because, as you said, the player decodes the signal. HDMI is exactly as advertised.

Your first part uses faulty logic to get from A to B, so i can't address it. The simplest way to answer is just to say that your display will show what is passed over to it by the player, whether that video is component or HDMI.
Old 01-20-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what Josh means is that a digital video connection has nothing to do with the shape of your picture. That has to do with whether the disc is anamorphic or not. And the zoom settings on the player and TV.
Old 01-21-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
I think what Josh means is that a digital video connection has nothing to do with the shape of your picture. That has to do with whether the disc is anamorphic or not. And the zoom settings on the player and TV.
That is a better way to say it, yes.
Old 01-21-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is a strange thread where I am nicer than you, Josh.

Probably won't happen again.
Old 01-24-07, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm just going to answer questions and hope I hit most of it.

Last part first - only HDMI 1.3 will carry a TrueHD or DTS-MA over bitstream to the receiver. This is NOT AN ISSUE. If your receiver accepts multichannel PCM over HDMI, then you will get the advanced audio because, as you said, the player decodes the signal. HDMI is exactly as advertised.

Your first part uses faulty logic to get from A to B, so i can't address it. The simplest way to answer is just to say that your display will show what is passed over to it by the player, whether that video is component or HDMI.
I wonder what type of receiver now capable of this HDMI 1.3?
Old 01-24-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Djangoman
I wonder what type of receiver now capable of this HDMI 1.3?
This one, so far, is the only consumer-grade receiver that has been announced.

Link

MSRP: $1499

Sherwood revamped their entire line of A/V receivers and displayed them at CES. Not only did they acclimate into the 21st century with their first HDMI enabled receivers but they went above and beyond the status quo by incorporating new features not currently available on the market.

Some of the most noted features include:

HDMI 1.3
Video Scaling to 1080p
Converts HDMI video to analog
GUI OSD
DTS Master Audio HD
Dolby TruHD
RF Remote Control
Automatic Audio Set-up
Audyssey MultEQ XT
RS-232 Control / Upgrade
Multi Source, Multi Zone
A/V Sync Delay by Input
XM Connect & Play
Installer Memory
Built in bi-amp capability

The R-972 boasts 100 wpc x 7 and is powered by TI DA-710 & 708 bit DSPs. Want flexible bass management? No problem, Sherwood includes a quadruple independent crossover scheme.

For more information, visit: http://www.sherwoodusa.com/

I guarantee that there will be many more by this time next year. Denon showed several receivers behind closed doors at CES, and they most likely have 1.3

Like stated before, the player decodes most of the audio you need, and as long as it is PCM capable, you are set.

1.3 does improve on the following, though;

Increases single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)

Supports 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths or over one billion colors, up from 24-bit in previous versions.

Supports xvYCC color standards.

Incorporates automatic audio syncing (lip sync) capability.

Supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.

TrueHD and DTS-HD are lossless audio codec formats used on HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs. If the disc player can decode these streams into uncompressed audio, then HDMI 1.3 is not necessary, as all versions of HDMI can transport uncompressed audio.

Availability of a new mini connector for devices such as camcorders.
Bolded are the only real important things that 1.3 does. JSYK, 1.3a was released in November. 1.3b probably will be released some time this year, etc etc etc....