Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS Speech issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTS Speech issue

I've been working on trying to figure this out for several days & I've about had it. I recently rewired my entertainment center & speakers & now when I watch movies with DTS tracks, when people talk, there is no audio. I hear all the music & sound effects fine, but theres no speech coming from anyones mouths. I've tried Fantastic 4 (import) & Snakes on a Plane (R1) & neither one will play the speech, but if I flick my reciever over to Stereo sound, then I hear everything fine.

What could possibly cause the speech to not come through? I know it used to work just fine before, but I needed to rewire everything to get rid of something causing a weird audio fading in & out effect. When I've got a DTS track on I hear audio coming out of all my speakers including the center channel.
Old 01-08-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If your connections are fine and your test tones are correct then it is likely a settings issue. Does the dvd player pass a DTS signal? How is the dvd player connected? how is the receiver setup to get the signal? Is the receiver DTS capable (hopefully)?
Old 01-08-07, 12:12 PM

Its an ONKYO HT-R320 receiver & the DVD player is an OPPO 970HD
I have all them hooked together through the AV cables as well as both the Digital COAX & Optical. The reciever allows me to quickly select between both of the digital inputs as well as the analog one.

Receiver:
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...&class=Systems

DVD Player:
http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd_image.html

It has Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS, DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6

Last edited by KFelon; 01-08-07 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok, first you only need either the optical or coax connected from the Oppo. Make sure the OPPO is outputting sound in RAW format.

Next check the receiver. On page 26 of the manual there is an explanation for setting up the format. You need to make sure the input is selected and set to auto format decode. Does the DTS light come on when playing a DTS track?
Old 01-08-07, 01:29 PM

I'll check everything out tonight & let you know more then.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-08-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your center channel hooked up correctly?

I had the problem before and found I unplugged my center while moving stuff around!

Sorry, missed the part where the center works with other formats.
Old 01-11-07, 10:24 PM
Cool New Member

Check the center channel again, thats where most speech comes from in DTS. Had the same problem until I checked the speaker connections to the center channel.
Old 01-12-07, 08:11 AM
Suspended

Also check the A/B settings on your receiver. You may be able to hear audio sounds, but not dialog if one of these buttons were pressed on accident.
Old 01-12-07, 02:40 PM

I know I have just A on, but I'll try to mess with it this weekend. I just havn't had the free time yet.
Old 01-13-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar