DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LCD vs. DLP

Old 01-11-07, 07:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD vs. DLP

Can anyone give me their opinions on what they think is better for watching mainly movies and some tv, DLP or LCD? Looking in the 42-46in range. Thanks.
Old 01-11-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is all subjective.

Check this thread out:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=487888
Old 01-11-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,190 Likes on 1,495 Posts
I stayed away from DLP just because I was worried about me or family members seeing rainbows or getting headaches. I know that the possibility is slim, but I just didn't want to worry about it. So I went with LCoS, better than LCD.
Old 01-11-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would choose plasma, not sure why you didn't list that option.
Old 01-12-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was seriously considering plasma or LCD (like cultshock, DLP's shortcomings didn't appeal to me).

But after weighing all the options, I'm going with Sony's version of LCoS, which Sony calls SXRD. The smallest is 50 inches, so it's a little larger than you're looking for (I was looking for a 42-inch myself), but the picture is just so much better than anything else I've seen.
Old 01-12-07, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do all these types of tvs require bulb replacements? I know DLP does, but wasn't sure about the rest. I have a Sony 16:9 CRT which I love. My next tv will also be a Sony and I'm leaning towards their LCD Projection Wega Series or the SXRD which is mentioned above.
Old 01-12-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
The LCD Projection, DLP, and LCoS all require bulb replacements. The LCD and Plasma don't.
Old 01-12-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
The LCD Projection, DLP, and LCoS all require bulb replacements. The LCD and Plasma don't.
Or, you could invest in LED DLP's, which have a 20,000 hour bulb life. It also won't have the 'rainbow effect.' But then again, you are spending more.

An example here.
Old 01-12-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gijon213
Or, you could invest in LED DLP's, which have a 20,000 hour bulb life. It also won't have the 'rainbow effect.' But then again, you are spending more.

An example here.
For the price difference, you could buy two or three replacement bulbs.

For the improvement in picture quality that SXRD offers, I'm willing to shell out a couple hundred bucks every five years or so to replace the bulb.
Old 01-12-07, 01:50 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for all your responses. Sorry for the broad question.
Old 01-12-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
DLP - front projection

While I have not gotten a new tv yet, I did upgrade my projector. My old Infocus X1 was DLP and I like it so much, I saw no reason to change technologies (in several years I had no one complain about DLP "issues"). I went with a HD70 and loving it!

I would never argue DLP is "better" then any other technology. It, like all of them, have their +'s and -'s. But since I had such good luck with it, I stuck with it.

IMHO, you are really going to have to do a lot of reading and research. I am convienced that stores (especially discount stores like BB and CC) adjust the calibration on different TV's depending on what that want to sell that week. For example, the CC by my has the Samsung (DLP) and Sony (LCD RP) sitting right next to each other. But sometimes I go in and the Samsung is a LOT better. Other days the Sony is a LOT better and this is with the same HD signal! The biggest thing I noticed is they will have one set about 20% bighter. Enough to make you think one is "better" but not enough for you to realize it is a settings isse.
Old 01-13-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have yet to see a dlp picture that I like. Haven't seen the LCoS sets, but many lcd and plasma screens have excellent pq. Personally, I'd go with a 2 or 50-inch plasma if I were buying such a set today. Proably a Panasonic.
Old 01-13-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drmoze
I have yet to see a dlp picture that I like. Haven't seen the LCoS sets, but many lcd and plasma screens have excellent pq. Personally, I'd go with a 2 or 50-inch plasma if I were buying such a set today. Proably a Panasonic.
Damn, a 2" plasma...

That is really tiny.
Old 01-13-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
As for choosing an HDTV, first consider the basic overall types of design:

a) Flat-Panel: the flat sets that can be hung on a wall or mounted on a pedestal-type stand. I recommend considering this for sets below 50" in size.

b) Rear-Projection: the self contained projection sets that give a large screen size for the price. I recommend considering this for sets between 50" and 70" in size.

c) Front-Projectors (a.k.a. simply "Projectors"): the projection systems that, combined with a good screen, gives the largest screen size currently available. I recommend considering this if your desired screen size exceeds 70".

Once that is done and a preferred design type is found, THEN consider the technologies involved in each type (I'm leaving out the older CRT technology in this):

a) Flat-Panel Technologies: either LCD Flat-Panel or Plasma Flat-Panel (and that's it for Plasma - it's only a Flat-Panel technology)

b) Rear-Projection Technologies: there's LCD Rear-Projection, DLP Rear-Projection, or LCoS Rear-Projection

c) Front-Projector Technologies: once again, there's DLP Front-Projectors, LCD Front-Projectors, or LCoS Front-Projectors.

As you see, certain technologies reappear again and again as the different types, but the type is crucial for deciding on the screen size, so I think by breaking it down this way first is the best way to decide which set to get because, once done, then it is simplified by only comparing the technologies as implemented within each type.

Last edited by dhmac; 01-13-07 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-13-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,190 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
But after weighing all the options, I'm going with Sony's version of LCoS, which Sony calls SXRD. The smallest is 50 inches, so it's a little larger than you're looking for (I was looking for a 42-inch myself), but the picture is just so much better than anything else I've seen.
I went with the 60" SXRD. Very nice set.

As dhmac mentions, the general rule of thumb is flat panel for TVs below 50" and rear projection for 50" or more. I would have loved to get a front projector, but the layout and shape of the family room just wouldn't have worked right for one (couldn't have a TV or screen flat against one wall). His other advice is good too. No TV is perfect in every way, all have their pluses and minuses. You just have to decide on the size and how and where it will be used, then find the one that best suits those needs.
Old 01-13-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cultshock
I went with the 60" SXRD. Very nice set.

As dhmac mentions, the general rule of thumb is flat panel for TVs below 50" and rear projection for 50" or more. I would have loved to get a front projector, but the layout and shape of the family room just wouldn't have worked right for one (couldn't have a TV or screen flat against one wall). His other advice is good too. No TV is perfect in every way, all have their pluses and minuses. You just have to decide on the size and how and where it will be used, then find the one that best suits those needs.
I too went with the 60" SXRD. Love it. But like I said in the other thread just a minute ago, check out the TVs for yourself. If you don't see the rainbows on DLP, you can get them cheaper than the LCoS. If you want flat, go plasma or LCD. It all depends on what you're looking for size-wise, budget-wise, and your personal preferences.