Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What did you get for Christmas or What do you know have to hook up!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What did you get for Christmas or What do you know have to hook up!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 365 Posts
What did you get for Christmas or What do you now have to hook up!

I bought myself a new PJ, HD70. Got it about two weeks ago and hooked it up temporarily. Now have to decided on exact location and hide the wires.

Also, last minute, found my son a PS3, so this afternoon going to hook that up temporarily to make sure all is working and find a good home for it.

What did everyone else get? Lots of stuff to hook up???

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-27-06 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-27-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me tell you, the PS3 looks incredible on the HD70! I already had the HD70, but the PS3 was a Christmas gift. I also got a splitter that I have to hook up b/c I have too many component outputs!
Old 12-27-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, well I'm having a heck of a time getting up and running. I was going thru the menu thru composite. I set Display to HDMI and then lost everything! No more display on HDMI or composite. Tried turning everything off and on, nothing.

Suggestions?
Old 12-27-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 874 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Yea, well I'm having a heck of a time getting up and running. I was going thru the menu thru composite. I set Display to HDMI and then lost everything! No more display on HDMI or composite. Tried turning everything off and on, nothing.

Suggestions?
I did something similar, I forget what choice it was. I think I was using HDMI, and it asked if I wanted to use audio and video via HDMI and I said no, and everything went blank. (I said no, because I was using optical audio to my surround sound)
I powered off/back on and the setup came up again.

Do you have an HDMI input and cord? Just plug it in long enough to switch it back.
Old 12-27-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My goal is to use HDMI for video and Optical for audio (my HT receiver does not accept HDMI).

Well I'm up and running in full analog! Composite on video and just L/R RCA's for audio.

Also, I checked my HDMI using a dvd player and it seems to work fine. I also got a video signal thru the PS3 on HDMI, but it seemed to freeze. So letting my son play a little on analog to get the hang of it and have some fun.

Where do I go in to set up the HDMI? The display or BD player? Or both? And when I tried to select Optical for audio, I ran into a dead end. After selecting the DTS it wouldn't let me hit select.
Old 12-27-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, rocking and rolling on BD with HDMI and Optical! Yea...but...no audio on games hummm...
Old 12-28-06, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm still trying to get my pc to work on my projector.

So much for media convergence
Old 12-28-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, rocking and rolling on BD with HDMI and Optical! Yea...but...no audio on games hummm...
Have you updated to v. 1.32?
Old 12-28-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was lucky as just getting a Wii (earlier) so that was real easy to hook up (even my wireless was pretty simple)...Only problem is that I am basically all out of inputs for my TV, so I guess its time for a new one. Well at least a new reciever
Old 12-28-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gijon213
Have you updated to v. 1.32?
I did some research and see there is a "glitch" that when you use optical and switching from movie to game, you sometimes don't get sound to the game. This morning I popped in a game and got sound thru optical.

Does the update fix that glitch???

I have not hooked up to my wireless network yet. That is my project today. Tho now that I know everything works, I need to unhook it all so I can run the HDMI in the attic.

In doing my research is seems the PS3 is a little "fickle". Most are saying this will be improved with firmware upgrades. I hope so. One of the reasons my theater room is such a hit with the family is that it is so easy to "just turn on" (I work out of town a lot). I'm already disappointed I can't use my Harmony 880 on it. But figure sooner or later Harmony will come out with a remote that will work with it.
Old 12-28-06, 11:45 AM

Snagged a new Motorola Q for my info on the go needs and snagged a PS3 last night while browsing Wal-mart. So I'm now officially Dual Format and have both big name gaming systems. Now to find a Wii. EIther way, great X-mas as it was my 1 1/2 yr old son's first xmas where he could officially enjoy the gifts. Priceless man, priceless.
Old 12-28-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought all my Christmas presents myself beforehand. Boy were they fun to hook up. Finally have everything working perfectly though (see sig).
Old 12-28-06, 12:05 PM

I did some research and see there is a "glitch" that when you use optical and switching from movie to game, you sometimes don't get sound to the game. This morning I popped in a game and got sound thru optical.

Does the update fix that glitch???

I have not hooked up to my wireless network yet. That is my project today. Tho now that I know everything works, I need to unhook it all so I can run the HDMI in the attic.
I offer a suggestion of hooking up a usb keyboard or the like for setting up to your network especially if it's WEP. Also good to have for signing up for online gaming.
Old 12-28-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PS3 is updating now. It had version 1.10 and going to 1.32, wirelessly...so moving along...
Old 12-28-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 874 Likes on 393 Posts
Speaking of wireless, is there anyway to increase the range of the PS3 built in wireless? My laptop is in the same room, and it connects fine. But the PS3 can sometimes see the signal (35%-50%), but it won't connect to the internet.
I ran the cable to the same room, and hooked up my modem and router and the PS3 connects fine if the router is in the same room. I get the same results if I have WPA on or off.
Old 12-28-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Speaking of wireless, is there anyway to increase the range of the PS3 built in wireless? My laptop is in the same room, and it connects fine. But the PS3 can sometimes see the signal (35%-50%), but it won't connect to the internet.
I ran the cable to the same room, and hooked up my modem and router and the PS3 connects fine if the router is in the same room. I get the same results if I have WPA on or off.
Odd, my theater room is on the opposite end of the house from the office where my router is. Taking a laptop in the theater room I never get better then about 35%. My Tivo in the theater room often is at 20% and now the PS3 is about 35% and all hook up fine, including the PS3. It even downloaded the new firmware at roughly 35% and now my daughter is playing on it, so appears all is fine.
Old 12-28-06, 02:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=14
Old 12-29-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The software upgrade did the trick. No audio problems now with either games or movies.
Old 12-31-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The software upgrade did the trick. No audio problems now with either games or movies.
I read that the update fixed a whole bunch of audio problems, sorry I could not get back to you earlier. now I just have to get a receiver that supports HDMI v1.3 that is affordable. (CES, don't let me down...)
Old 12-31-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I'm more or less looking for a new receiver as well....

Long story, but basically I'm having an issue with my new projector (HD70). I get this large slight dark then the rest of the picture band slowly float from the bottom of the picture to the top and repeat. I have pretty much narrowed it down to some component cables are using must be getting interference (I get it from several sources, but not with the PS3 thru HDMI). I'm trying to decide if I just want to order decent compent cables (I'm using cheap RG6 cables with screw on RCA ends) of if perhaps I'm ready to go 100% HDMI over audio and video.

Of course then also got to think about the HDMI v1.3 issue as well.
Old 01-01-07, 04:03 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought myself a Samsung 40" LCD TV, with a 5.1 home theatre system, as an early Christmas gift. Now, I've gotta' find out how to set it up correctly, so that I can get optimal image/sound quality. (That's why I created another thread.)
Old 01-02-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm more or less looking for a new receiver as well....

Long story, but basically I'm having an issue with my new projector (HD70). I get this large slight dark then the rest of the picture band slowly float from the bottom of the picture to the top and repeat. I have pretty much narrowed it down to some component cables are using must be getting interference (I get it from several sources, but not with the PS3 thru HDMI). I'm trying to decide if I just want to order decent compent cables (I'm using cheap RG6 cables with screw on RCA ends) of if perhaps I'm ready to go 100% HDMI over audio and video.

Of course then also got to think about the HDMI v1.3 issue as well.
Are you using them for your long run to your projector? Do they go near any speakers? What height do you live at?
Old 01-02-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you using them for your long run to your projector? Do they go near any speakers? What height do you live at?
25ft run thru the attic. There is also faceplaces, one at my equipment, one at the pj.

I have narrowed it down to either some sort of ground loope or interference thru the cables. I didn't have it on my X1, but it's there now on the HD70.

I ordered some CL-2 rated component cables thru monoprice, hopefully that will take care of the issue.
Old 01-02-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

25ft run thru the attic. There is also faceplaces, one at my equipment, one at the pj.

I have narrowed it down to either some sort of ground loope or interference thru the cables. I didn't have it on my X1, but it's there now on the HD70.

I ordered some CL-2 rated component cables thru monoprice, hopefully that will take care of the issue.
I had a similar problem with a run, and I realized that it was too close to my Base unit. I bet your new Component cable will really help out.
Old 01-02-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a similar problem with a run, and I realized that it was too close to my Base unit. I bet your new Component cable will really help out.
I get no issues and a perfect picture on PS3 thru HDMI. The HDMI is CL-2 rated thru monoprice and that is some dang heavy duty cable.

I do eventually hope to go 100% HDMI. Despite my best efforts I have a mess behind my equipment, and all HDMI would be sweet. But not quite ready for that. Close...but not yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.