Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Burning DVDs keeping HD aspect ratio?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

So, I recently got a new TV and have entered the world of high def. Hooray for me!

Anyway, I have already upgraded my cable to HD and have noticed lots of shows, concerts, movies that I've been very excited about. Anyway, some of the stuff I would really like to save. For instance, Andy Richter Controls the Universe isn't on DVD yet, so I'd like to burn some DVDs with those eps on it.

I have a DVD-Recorder with a hard drive. Before, I would just record a show from my cable DVR to the DVD-R hard drive and then burn the disc with whatever I wanted. But now, if I record something from my DVR in HD, when it gets to my DVD-R hard drive, it is now in a standard TV ratio and letterboxed. Is there any way to have it stay to keep it in a format that will fill my widescreen TV and not put it in a 4:3 ratio?

I hope I'm making some degree of sense here!
Old 12-10-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I burn directly to DVD, no HDD in my burner. And it only records in 4:3 format, not 16:9/anamorphic. But, if I use a stretch mode on my HDTivo (the source), it vertically stretches to get rid of the letterboxing. Then when I play it back, it looks proper on a 16:9 TV. It doesn't look right on a 4:3 TV, though, since it is stretched vertically.