DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need new player for new projector

Old 08-24-06, 08:59 PM

Need new player for new projector

i got my 1st projector, the infocus IN72, a couple weeks ago and im looking for a new dvd player to go with it since my old ones kinda crappin out on me. id like to keep it under $200. so whats good?
Old 08-25-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There have been lots of threads here on DVD players. A PJ won't change the answers, so you could look those up. The Oppo and Sony NS75 are popular upconverters in that price range. There are some Pioneers around $100 that are very nice, too.

There was a popular Panny S77, but it seems to be discontinued and I don't know if the newer models are as good. Panny jumps up and down in quality from year to year, you really need to check out each model to see if it is any good.
Old 08-25-06, 12:46 AM
X
Administrator

The IN72 has a good deinterlacer so you may do very well with a relatively inexpensive player in interlaced mode. It doesn't make much sense paying a lot more for a player with a good deinterlacer if the projector can do it better.

From what I've read you would be best off with a player able to provide a pixel-mapped digital signal, such as the Bravo D1 or D2. The D1s run under $100 but you usually end up having to fix a bad capacitor on the power supply board (which you can do fairly easily at home).
Old 08-25-06, 02:37 AM
Suspended

If I were you I wouldn't waste more than $40 on a DVD player considering that $200 is almost half way there to buying an HD-DVD player than can upconvert your DVDs as well as play HD-DVDs.

The IN72 has a good deinerlacing chip which is hard and almost a waste of money to try to top. It's basically like having a highend dvd player with any DVD player that outputs component.

Save your money by getting an cheap interlaced DVD player with component out and use the rest to save up for HD-DVD or something more worthwhile.
Old 08-25-06, 02:24 PM

so i shouldnt go for an oppo or something with HDMI? id also like something with a layer change thats hardly noticeable. it usually takes me out of the movie especially if its right in the middle of a scene.
Old 08-25-06, 03:11 PM
X
Administrator

If you can't pixel map to the projector you might as well not bother using HDMI.

Upconversion by the player will just end up having to be downconverted by the projector, so you're scaling it twice.
Old 09-05-06, 11:55 AM

What about using a pioneer 490V and passing 480i over HDMI? Thoughts?