DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Just got a 7.1 Receiver... Got some questions

Old 09-03-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just got a 7.1 Receiver... Got some questions

I just got a new Pioneer 7.1 and will hook it up tonight or tomorrow. As I look through the guide some questions came up that maybe some people here can help me with.

The receiver Im replacing was a 5.1 and came with the speakers. Since my new one is 7.1, I have to buy 2 new speakers. Got any suggestions as to what I should look for or buy. Since I'll either get 1 or 2 rear speakers, I dont need some bad ass Bose system

Since not too many movies, I cant even name one, have 7.1 should I just get one rear center? If I do, I dont see how to hook it up. The guide seems to only show a rear left and rear right, no rear center. WHere would it go?
Old 09-03-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is no rear center in a 7.1 system

See the attached link

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic_IIx.html
Old 09-03-06, 10:36 PM

If I remember correctly, you can set it up as a 6.1 system, and use the left back hookup, for the sixth speaker. Disable the right back speaker in the receiver's setup menus.

There are no movies in 7.1...........yet. But there are quite a few in 6.1, with more coming all the time. Maybe they'll make 7.1 sometime in the future.

I borrowed another receiver one time, and hooked it up to the pre-outs on my receiver. It turned my 5.1 system, into a 6.1 system, and it sounded great with 6.1 movies (LOTR EE, Gladiator, Running Man, etc.).
Good luck with your's.
Old 09-04-06, 03:59 AM

No need to but 2 more speakers

There really is no need to buy 2 more speakers just ecause the receiver is 7.1. There is almost no content yet that uses it. You can configure your receiver to act as a 5.1 and it will simply not use the extra two amps. Some receivers let you use the 2 left over amps to drive your front spoeakers in bi-amping mode (only possible if your speakers have bi-wiring connections).

QubyB.
Old 09-05-06, 01:11 AM

Thanks guys!

I finally found the footnote on how to hook it up for 6.1. After my first movie, Im noticing some sweetness! Though now I gotta go pawnshop hopping for 1 more speaker for the rear.

Right now it seems to have trouble saving the individual volumes for the speakers as well as the distance from the viewer. Though this could be cause I was messing with everything and may have reset it.

Anyone have a Pioneer system? It seems I have to have the center channel alot louder than the surrounds... odd.
Old 09-05-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My system is 6.1 and had it hooked up for while. Finally realized, I didn't think I had heard any movie in 6.1 so started looking thru my collection. Actually, I didn't want to look thru every movie, so looked at a list on line.

Seems the only movie I currently own in 6.1 is Highlander. While one of my favorite movies, the video transfer is so bad, I don't know if I trust the audio to be any better.

I see Titanic SE is in 6.1. Top Gun SE as well (I don't owe Top Gun anyway, which is probably against some law somewhere). The LOR Box Set SE looks to be 6.1, but I have about every movie already. Die Another Day is shown as 6.1, but my version says 5.1, wonder if they came out with two versions with no change in title. Minority Report might be a good one to pick up, I liked that movie.
Old 09-06-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All LOTR discs have been 6.1, both Dolby and DTS. Gladiator is a great DTS example. All Dolby 6.1 movies are matrixed 6.1, so most receivers still report it as 5.1, or possibly "EX 5.1". If you listen, you will hear the difference. Ep II is a good example (btw, all SW prequels are 6.1), the explosion at the beginning of the movie rolls directly over your head with the 6th channel on.

The Immortal Collection Highlander video is vastly superior to the original disc. The original is still always in everyone's "top 10 worst DVDs" ever. However, Highlander is not in good shape and was only a B movie in the first place, the Immortal disc is not a reference disc in any way. Audio is ok, but came from stereo so surround is also nothing like a reference disc.
Old 09-06-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone have a Pioneer system? It seems I have to have the center channel alot louder than the surrounds... odd.
Are the speakers matched and of equal distance to the listening area?
Old 09-06-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
All LOTR discs have been 6.1, both Dolby and DTS. Gladiator is a great DTS example. All Dolby 6.1 movies are matrixed 6.1, so most receivers still report it as 5.1, or possibly "EX 5.1". If you listen, you will hear the difference. Ep II is a good example (btw, all SW prequels are 6.1), the explosion at the beginning of the movie rolls directly over your head with the 6th channel on.

The Immortal Collection Highlander video is vastly superior to the original disc. The original is still always in everyone's "top 10 worst DVDs" ever. However, Highlander is not in good shape and was only a B movie in the first place, the Immortal disc is not a reference disc in any way. Audio is ok, but came from stereo so surround is also nothing like a reference disc.
Oh, all version of LOR are 6.1? Well I got me some of that. All SW pre's too? OK, got a couple of those as well. Will check it out.

Yea, I whatched the Immortal Collection Highlander, and I hear the center rear speaker. Plus I could touch the speaker and feel it vibrate. I love that movie, the fight scene at the end is still one of favorite. I love the camera rolling across the floor like it is on a skate board or something. For the budget that movie had, I wouldn't be surprise if it wasn't truely just a skate board!

Thanks again Spiky
Old 09-06-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Are the speakers matched and of equal distance to the listening area?
I don't know about your system, but most systems allow you to adjust the output of the different speakers.
Old 09-06-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I don't know about your system, but most systems allow you to adjust the output of the different speakers.
Yes . . . but that was not what he asked.

If the speakers are not matched (different manufacturers) or they are different distances behind or infront of each other in relation to the listening area, they could sound different. And adjusting them individually might still not be enough to deal with sonic smearing or phase distortion.
Old 09-06-06, 03:41 PM

To answer, no they are not the same distance apart. Theyre all Sony brand, but the front S are 10ft and the center is 9.0 (.5) ft. The rears are are 8ft and I have yet to hook up a rear center

Ive also noticed on some DVD, there is a loud, low frequency buzzing coming from the speakers when NOTHING is playing. Like a menu is loading or I am forwarding through the movie. It doesnt happen when the receiver is on alone, but when a DVD is in the player loading, I hear it. Im guessing its a frequency certain DVDs emit; but I never heard this on my old one.
Old 09-06-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Yes . . . but that was not what he asked.

If the speakers are not matched (different manufacturers) or they are different distances behind or infront of each other in relation to the listening area, they could sound different. And adjusting them individually might still not be enough to deal with sonic smearing or phase distortion.
Well I was suggesting changing output might be enough to compensate for speaker distance differences or unmatched speakers.

However, you are certainly correct, if there is a large difference in distance or difference in speaker (sound, efficiency, etc), I doubt you would be able to change the output enough.
Old 09-06-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like they are all matched. So, make sure distance settings are correct in the receiver, and try to calibrate them all to the same volume where you normally sit. It would be best to spend ~$40 on a db meter, but you can try to do it just by ear. Use a setup disc (DVE is under $20 at DDD) or a THX disc, or the receiver's internal test tones. A disc would be preferable.

I wonder if that buzz is a problem with the player itself. There should be no noise from on a disc if you are fast-forwarding.
Old 09-06-06, 05:34 PM

I may have to try the THX one since its on all the Star Wars

I dont know why it makes the sound. Its only at certain times and it seems to be something the DVD have individually at some frequency that this reciever is picking up or something.
Old 09-06-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

SW 1 & 2 prequels I have say Dolby 5.1 EX, and is sure didn't seem to get anything out of that Rear Center.

But the LOR is 6.1. Very cool.
Old 09-06-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

buzz - are all your speaker wires solidly connected? are you getting any electrical interference?

LotR: I have TTT and RotK EEs; what's a good scene to check out 6.1 sound?
Old 09-06-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sdallnct,
Do you have the Dolby settings correct in the receiver? May have to turn on Dolby EX and DTS-ES separately, mine does this. Also, there have always been issues with EX. For some combos of receiver and disc you need to turn it on manually each time you play the disc, the auto-select for surround sound won't work.

dtcarson,
First, I recommend the DTS, it was done better. And the bass is more realistic, the Dolby is over the top, these are some of the most bass heavy movies in existence, exaggerating it is pointless. Generally, anything with arrows zipping by is pretty good, and other fighting scenes. I can't think of any particular scenes for the 6th channel, but both of those movies have constant effects or music in all 3 surround channels. My favorite is in FOTR at the end of the Moria escapade, arrows flying, but you didn't mention having that movie.
Old 09-07-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sdallnct,
Do you have the Dolby settings correct in the receiver? May have to turn on Dolby EX and DTS-ES separately, mine does this. Also, there have always been issues with EX. For some combos of receiver and disc you need to turn it on manually each time you play the disc, the auto-select for surround sound won't work.

I'll play some more, but I have had no trouble on Highlander or LOR (both of which I went into the disc's menu to select 6.1). No doubt and very obvious the rear center was working.

But I couldn't seem to get anything out fo SW. And since it said 5.1 EX on the box, I assumed that meant it was only 5.1 and not 6.1 so didn't try any more. So 5.1 EX should actually have sound in the rear center...so confusing...
Old 09-07-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mean in the receiver. Dolby EX has 6.1 matrixed, there isn't any setting on the DVD to change. I think you selected DTS-ES 6.1 when you used the DVD menus to change. Check out the receiver settings for EX.
Old 09-07-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looking at this little gem to possibly replace my current 5.1 system. I can't really afford it, though. Can someone rationalize with me so I don't succumb to my love for newer technology?
Old 09-07-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You need to wait to add the latest tech like better compatibility with HDDVD. Otherwise this upgrade will only last a year or less before you want to get something else.

Does that help?
Old 09-07-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You need to wait to add the latest tech like better compatibility with HDDVD. Otherwise this upgrade will only last a year or less before you want to get something else.

Does that help?
Helps a little, but the product did mention that it was DD+ and DTS-HD "ready". Since the Toshiba player has the decoders built in, I don't know that it's important that the receiver have decoders, too. And, the receiver is 7.1 capable. No HDMI, though, and that might be an important feature to have.
Old 09-07-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, you can't get 7.1 from the HDDVD/BD players, they only have 5.1 outputs. At least none of the announced players. They've made receivers ready, but haven't made the players to match. That's what I meant by "better compatibility". And the HDMI.

Actually, I'm not sure there will ever be such a player. They never made one with 6.1 outputs to match DD-EX and DTS-ES, only receivers could ever decode these codecs.
Old 09-07-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got the 780, and it's been great, though there's no actual 7.1 content and very little 6.1 content. I think the main differences between the 780 and 790 are:
XM ready;
the analog multichannel has a total of 8 jacks, including 'surround back' [I guess that's the 7.1 sound through analog], whereas mine only has 6 [so 5.1 sound through analog]. That might be the DD+/DTS-HD input; but are there any players that output DD+/DTS-HD through 7.1 analog outputs?
at this point, I'd probably wait for them to include HDMI, since it seems like a lot of functionality is going to be based on that; plus, it's a whole lot easier to connect one HDMI than dozens of regular cables.

and if you were to get it, I'd suggest looking at Circuit City--after rebates and tax, and shipping [to me] it's 480, and you could get cash back from a portal website.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 09-07-06 at 01:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.