Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with an all new Home Theater

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother wants to spend around $4,000. His main wishes are in wall speakers, an HDTV that can handle an XBox 360 (he already has the XBox) and is 50ish inches.

He'll need:

HDTV
Receiver
Speakers

He may or may not need an upconverting DVD player too. No real interest in Blu-ray/HD-DVD yet apart from the XBox.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
In wall speakers: B&W or KEF
HT Receiver: H/K
HDTV: I'd look at a LCD and DLP RP (there are to many to narrow down, and I'll let others get more specific).
Old 08-22-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In wall speakers suck. Is FP an option? If not, tell him to buy a Samsung 50 inch 720p DLP tv for ~1800. Then buy five Paradigm Titans @ $125 each = $625. Then spend $500 on a Paradigm PS-1000 sub. Then spend the rest on a decent receiver.
Old 08-23-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BobDole42
In wall speakers suck. Is FP an option? If not, tell him to buy a Samsung 50 inch 720p DLP tv for ~1800. Then buy five Paradigm Titans @ $125 each = $625. Then spend $500 on a Paradigm PS-1000 sub. Then spend the rest on a decent receiver.
Well I am going to disagree with you on this one Bob.

I use B&W inwall speakers in my theater (CWM series) and I have been pleased with the performance. As have many of the people that visit my theater.

I agree that given the choice, a floorstanding speaker should outperform an inwall but in my theater I did not want things on the floor or on stands.

As to the original question I am not sure the budget could accomodate quality inwall speakers, a receiver and an hdtv. Is this a new theater install? How are you going to run the cable to the inwalls?
Old 08-23-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The reason that in walls are preferred is that the room is a finished attic room. There are unfinished attic spaces behind and in front of the room that he wants to put the home theater in. We'll do all cabling behind the scenes as it were. Thats for the answers so far everyone.
Old 08-23-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fifty inches does not a home theater make. Tell him to go front projection. Really, what's the point of a dedicated theater room for just a what-is-now-pretty-standard TV?
Old 08-23-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I was looking at some of the projectors as a definate option. I just first wanted him to see what he could get DLP wise for that amount, then projector for that amount.
Old 08-23-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Well I am going to disagree with you on this one Bob.

I use B&W inwall speakers in my theater (CWM series) and I have been pleased with the performance. As have many of the people that visit my theater.

I agree that given the choice, a floorstanding speaker should outperform an inwall but in my theater I did not want things on the floor or on stands.

As to the original question I am not sure the budget could accomodate quality inwall speakers, a receiver and an hdtv. Is this a new theater install? How are you going to run the cable to the inwalls?
I think we actually agree on this one, Brian - despite my hastily worded post. In this price range, I don't think there are any in-walls that will be nearly as good as quality bookshelf speakers. If he could stretch his budget to buy something like your B&Ws it may be a different story.
Old 08-23-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
A space like that demands a FP. The Panasonic pt-900AU still has a $400 rebate plus $300 Blockbuster card, and can be had for under $1800 at projectorpeople.com

Buy a screen kit off ebay for around $50, and you will have an amazing home theater.
Old 08-24-06, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
In wall speakers: B&W or KEF
HT Receiver: H/K
HDTV: I'd look at a LCD and DLP RP (there are to many to narrow down, and I'll let others get more specific).
I thought B&W are great for music, not for games? Well, I'm sure it'll perform well but they are soft compared to other makers. I don't know about KEF though.
Old 08-24-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BobDole42
I think we actually agree on this one, Brian - despite my hastily worded post. In this price range, I don't think there are any in-walls that will be nearly as good as quality bookshelf speakers. If he could stretch his budget to buy something like your B&Ws it may be a different story.
And on that we agree, in-walls are no place to skimp and the low cost one will likely be poor performers. Better to do with bookshelves on stands at that point.
Old 08-24-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eedoon
I thought B&W are great for music, not for games? Well, I'm sure it'll perform well but they are soft compared to other makers. I don't know about KEF though.
Music is the most demanding material a speaker will ever get, at least orchestral music. Games aren't a problem at all. I think softness is determined by the volume control, but maybe I don't understand your meaning.
Old 08-24-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by eedoon
There is NOTHING "soft" about B&W speakers. I don't think there is a line of B&W that "I would kick out of bed".

KEF is my personal favorite, but I mainly mentioned them as they also make some excellent in wall speakers.

And I will echo what others have said...get a FP. Once you go big, you will never go back.