Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Receivers with 1 optical input

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worth buying, or should I consider another receiver with more optical inputs. The system I have in mind is the Onkyo HT-S680 http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i
Old 07-09-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Does it have any coax digital inputs? That will also work.
Old 07-09-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
How many optical inputs do you need?
Old 07-09-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am not sure about the digi inputs
here is a pic of the back

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...-o_rcvr-B.jpeg
Old 07-09-06, 10:09 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like it has 1 digital coaxial input and 1 optical input.

Btw, I don't see any component input or output, only video and S-video. WTF!
Old 07-09-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh this is a receiver only, no DVD player.
Old 07-09-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The important questions are how many inputs do you need and how much do you want to spend? If 2 digital inputs is enough for you and the price is right, go for it.
Old 07-10-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you need the receiver for? If it's just for DVD you'll be fine...but if you want to add in other things, like a game console, Cable Box (mine uses optical) then you may want something with more.
Old 07-10-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another option is to buy a switch box that handles optical input and output. You can buy one that just does optical, and those are fairly cheap, or you can spend more for one that also handles component video and other inputs and outputs.
Old 07-10-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

while using the switch box will I run the risk of losing quality?

In regards to questions asked earlier: As of right now it will be only for bedroom TV and DVD player. In the future though I might add cable and/or gaming. Right now I have satellite TV (direcTV). I just have it on coaxial but I only watch it befor going to sleep, don't even watch that much TV. I am waiting for Fios TV though, I have Verizon Fios (fiber optic) as my IP, and it is amazing.
Old 07-11-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure about whether using a switch will cause a decrease in the quality of the signal. I just picked up an Audio Authority switcher (model 1154A) that handles optical audio and component video. It's a little pricey, but seems to have almost universally good reviews. With a switch like that, I'm guessing you wouldn't see much of a decrease in quality (if any). If you pick up a cheap switcher, it might not perform as well. I should mention that I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff, so maybe someone else here can shed more light on the topic. I'll be hooking up the switcher in the next day or two, so I can provide feedback on that particular model if that helps at all.

Alternatively, you could always pick a different receiver with more inputs, or stick with the Onkyo for now and upgrade later when you're ready to add additional components to your setup. If you really like the receiver you have picked out now, I'd say adding in a switch down the road is probably a decent approach.
Old 07-12-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I am going to go with the onkyo, lately I have jsut been to lazy and passive to order it? Is that bad? But yes let me know how that switch works out for you. I got so obsessed with researching diff receivers that I just got turned off from the whole subject. Right now only one optical input will do jsut fine being it is only for DVD player in my bedroom. Thank you all for your input, greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
How many optical inputs do you need?
My receiver/dvd player has one input.
I need one for HD TiVo; Playstation 2; and my region free player.
Old 07-12-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so how do you accomodate all of them? Do you have a switch box?
Old 07-12-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by M2theAX
so how do you accomodate all of them? Do you have a switch box?
I don't. I have to unplug it and plug it in the device I want to use for now. At some point, I hope to upgrade my surround sound system or get a switch.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 07-13-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you actually watch 5.1 movies from the Tivo? Or anything like that from the PS2?

Very little is actually 5.1 from DirecTV, you may be surprised just how desolate the 5.1 situation is. And aren't PS2 games Dolby Pro Logic at best? Either could use analog stereo connections without losing anything, I would think. And save the optical for the DVDp.
Old 07-13-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Funny, I was just wondering about doing something with one optical input on a reciever. I'm using a 5 disc changer home theater in a box system by Panasonic. It's got one optical input in the back. I right now have to unplug the optic cable from the DVR to the 360 for whatever source I'm using. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to have two optic cables overall, and I'd like to have like a splitter or something that I can use both cables in the same input somehow. I see these audio switch boxes listed by the link above but that's way too expensive. I'm looking for something in the 'no more than $30 range'. Any ideas?
Old 07-13-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I need optical for my game console, HD DVR, and DVD player. My receiver only has two component inputs, but my TV has two component inputs as well so that works out OK.

How much is it to go the next step up in # of inputs? Switch boxes are generally pretty crappy and it's a pain in the ass to switch stuff around if you do it all the time.
Old 07-13-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Do you actually watch 5.1 movies from the Tivo? Or anything like that from the PS2?

Very little is actually 5.1 from DirecTV, you may be surprised just how desolate the 5.1 situation is. And aren't PS2 games Dolby Pro Logic at best? Either could use analog stereo connections without losing anything, I would think. And save the optical for the DVDp.
Cut scenes for PS2 games can be Dolby Digital (it's just standard DVD video), and I think I've seen some DD 4.1 for actual ingame play, but don't quote me on that. From my understand most in game play is Pro Logic II due to processing limitations.

My receiver has 3 TosLink inputs and 2 coax inputs. I've got 4 TosLink sources and one the cable box using one coax, so I had to unhook my PS2 and run it through the stereo cables.

I would recommend getting one more input than you think you'll need, just to save yourself the headache.
Old 07-13-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Switchers are usually pretty decent, actually. Optical audio is pretty hard to damage, it either goes through or doesn't. The Audio Authority electronic switchers (one mentioned above) are top of the line, and have come down in price. They are still over $100, but much cheaper than when they first came out. Push button switches are less convenient, and you may need to push the button a couple times, but once well-connected they do a good job. It's the midrange electronic switches that may not be very good, like Rat Shack $80 jobs. If you want remote control of some sort, it is probably better to jump to the AA stuff, or similar.

Another option for a situation like Mordred's (with a remaining input, but the wrong type) would be to get an adapter. They should be less than $30 shipped from partsexpress.com. Get the correct one, to convert optical-coax or coax-optical.
Old 07-13-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't need to have both optical sources on at the same time, a splitter can be used in reverse. With my old receiver, I used a splitter to connect both my xbox and my DVD player via optical. Works great and is cheap as heck.
Old 08-25-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
If you don't need to have both optical sources on at the same time, a splitter can be used in reverse. With my old receiver, I used a splitter to connect both my xbox and my DVD player via optical. Works great and is cheap as heck.
Does this really work? Sounds too good to be true. I wouldn't run two things at the same time anyway.
Old 08-25-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chente
Does this really work? Sounds too good to be true. I wouldn't run two things at the same time anyway.
It defintely works. I used a splitter in reverse for connect my DVDp and my xbox via optical for six months while I was shopping for a new preamp. Worked like a charm. As long as only one component will be turned on (e.g. the PS2 is off while you are using the DVDp) it will be fine.

Last edited by BobDole42; 08-25-06 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
It defintely works. I used a splitter in reverse for connect my DVDp and my xbox via optical for six months while I was shopping for a new preamp. Worked like a charm. As long as only one component will be turned on (e.g. the PS2 is off while you are using the DVDp) it will be fine.
I'll 2nd what BobDole42 is saying. I've used a digital coax single input and split to two devices and it works like a champ. Haven't done with Optical but I imagine it's the same.
Old 08-25-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks guys. Looks like this will save me a bunch of money so I can save to upgrade my receiver.