Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD Shelves

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I just picked up the smaller version of this at best buy for $72 last night as a quick remedy. Is a foot shorter and 3 inches smaller (wide) . I will eventually look at the billy as they look very nice with the pictures provided. The only thing stopping me now is that those extra 5 inches would take a lot of space in the hallway where I would put them in thus affecting everything else in that space as it is quite tight.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077624680370
is this unit that you got at best buy of good quality? i was just in there the other day looking for a cd/dvd solution and found the stuff they had there was *incredibly* cheap and flimsy (even though the prices were generally very cheap). is this unit any different?

is there anyone out there with a cd/dvd solution that they would consider unique? a way to store your media in a way that looks stylish or "different" than the library shelf look? just curious.
Old 09-27-06, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct

I built a shelf like this, except the shelves were 18" and then I cut a hole into the wall and sunk it in. Connected it to the wall with the frame. Looks great. No door though!.
Old 10-05-06, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
You can always buy one of these:

Its just two strips of metal in the back which screw into the wall. It has shelf supports which the shelves sit on and its a pretty nice looking thing to put your dvds on. Plus you can add to the brackets and shelves as your collection grows to increase the amount it holds.

I know iv seen it at Ikea and it comes in a bundle with screws, brackets, shelves, shelf support, and it isn't too expensive.

Hope this helps

where did you get the glass from. I would like to make one similar to this, except that I want to make it more of a bookshelf thing.
Old 10-06-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brock50
where did you get the glass from. I would like to make one similar to this, except that I want to make it more of a bookshelf thing.
Call your local automotive glass place. They probably could cut you the pieces you want or recommend the best place to get it. I am getting some glass cut from a local Mesko, and it is running me about $16.50 for a 18"x23" shelf.
Old 10-11-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more! dammit more!
Old 10-17-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
You can always buy one of these:

Its just two strips of metal in the back which screw into the wall. It has shelf supports which the shelves sit on and its a pretty nice looking thing to put your dvds on. Plus you can add to the brackets and shelves as your collection grows to increase the amount it holds.

I know iv seen it at Ikea and it comes in a bundle with screws, brackets, shelves, shelf support, and it isn't too expensive.

Hope this helps
I've never seen anything like this at Ikea. (at least not the ones in MD and VA) I have however seen something very close if not the same thing at http://store.rakks.com/index.php. They sold the shelving (glass or wood) and the metal brackets that attached to the wall or the ones that use tension spring between the floor and the ceiling. I almost got it but it was too expensive for me.
Old 10-18-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by squidget
I've never seen anything like this at Ikea. (at least not the ones in MD and VA) I have however seen something very close if not the same thing at http://store.rakks.com/index.php. They sold the shelving (glass or wood) and the metal brackets that attached to the wall or the ones that use tension spring between the floor and the ceiling. I almost got it but it was too expensive for me.
those rakks look nice!

anyone have these? any comments?

EDIT: another manufacturer (?) of these types of shelving systems:

http://www.issdesigns.com

Last edited by hindolio; 10-18-06 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by brock50
You could buy the glass shelves intended for the IKEA Billy - I think I paid $8/each. They're 10.25" x 30" - not sure if that size would work with what you're contemplating.