Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any difference in HD quality from tv receiver over component vs. HDMI?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-17-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I figure there isn't, but thought I had better ask. Just ordered a new projector (the Panasonic PT-AE9000U) and it will take both HDMI and component. I already have component run through the ceiling and would hate to have to go back up there to put in HDMI, but would if I needed to. Using the sat. receiver on component also keeps the HDMI free for when I pick up an HD-DVD player.

But I only want to do all that if the quality is just as good with component. Thanks guys.
Old 07-17-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dave my friend, resolution is not the only factor in image quality. HDMI currently reproduces the best image quality over cables, and on the plus side it is a digital cable, so no D/A is necessary as it is with component.

Is it worth it to recable? That's up to you. Component still offers a very nice picture and you may be able not to tell a difference. Plus, an HDMI cable of that length, even from monoprice, it's still pricey. If you need to recable anyway, I say go for it, if not, you probably won't end up happy that you did.

The other bonus is that HDMI is a one stop video and audio cable, but since you are using a PJ, that's probably not a factor for you.
Old 07-17-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, need about a 35 foot cable, so it would run about $75.

That doesn't bother me so much as doing it for no real reason. But if it is better, then that is what I will do. Thanks.
Old 07-17-06, 04:40 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
HDMI currently reproduces the best image quality over cables, and on the plus side it is a digital cable
I cannot tell a difference (at all) on any of my video sources (HTPC, Oppo, RCA ATSC tuner, et cetera). Digital cable or not, most TVs convert HDMI signals to analog (and then back to digitial) inside the set anyhow.

But if you do decide to go with HDMI, be sure to get the cable from monoprice. You'll save a boatload of money with monoprice.

Last edited by mbs; 07-17-06 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I figure there isn't, but thought I had better ask. Just ordered a new projector (the Panasonic PT-AE9000U) and it will take both HDMI and component. I already have component run through the ceiling and would hate to have to go back up there to put in HDMI, but would if I needed to. Using the sat. receiver on component also keeps the HDMI free for when I pick up an HD-DVD player.

But I only want to do all that if the quality is just as good with component. Thanks guys.
Ahhh good question....

How are your hooking up? How many sources? In all honesty I don't know the answer to your question, but as I'm also just starting to look to upgrade, I was wondering the same thing.

I have a DVDp and OTA HD Receiver. I use both on component to my HT receiver that has component switching and usethe HT receiver to switch between the two so only one component set going to my X1.

How many sources do you have? I assume the Panny only has one HDMI input? So what if you have more then one source that uses the HDMI? I assume some of the new HT Receivers have HDMI switching???
Old 07-17-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That doesn't bother me so much as doing it for no real reason. But if it is better, then that is what I will do. Thanks.
Dave, let me be clear. The difference may be marginal, in fact, I would be surprised if you came back here and said you saw a big difference.

Now, if you were using upcoversion PLUS HDMI, I think it would be worth it. But if it were me, it's not enough better to warrant the cost and the work.
Old 07-17-06, 05:24 PM
X
Administrator

It depends on whether you're going to run your projector at its native resolution, in which case you should probably use HDMI. If you're not then you can't say which is best because it depends on whether your player or projector has the better scaler.
Old 07-17-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

The setup is a 15 pin for my computer. From there, I am pretty open. The Dish HD receiver has both component and HDMI out, so I can use either. But I will end up with another thing needing HDMI, so I figure I probably get a switch at that time. Other than that, the Xbox is component, and that's about it. I currently watch movies through the computer so that is taken care of.

I decided to get the cable and put it in now. I will need it at some time, I suppose.
Old 07-17-06, 06:41 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

$39.56 at monoprice: product ID 2742
Old 07-17-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The setup is a 15 pin for my computer. From there, I am pretty open. The Dish HD receiver has both component and HDMI out, so I can use either. But I will end up with another thing needing HDMI, so I figure I probably get a switch at that time. Other than that, the Xbox is component, and that's about it. I currently watch movies through the computer so that is taken care of.

I decided to get the cable and put it in now. I will need it at some time, I suppose.
OK so you will use your pj as the switcher

DVDp thru computer thru 15 pin
HD thru HMDI
Xbox thru component

That is a sweet set up. Does the PJ have one each or two component inputs?
Old 07-17-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

two of the component.

The only issue will be when getting an HD-DVD player as it will be HDMI out and I have used the one HDMI in for the tv receiver.
Old 07-18-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

two of the component.

The only issue will be when getting an HD-DVD player as it will be HDMI out and I have used the one HDMI in for the tv receiver.
Oh, so you are no longer going to use your PC to watch DVD's?

Yup that would be the issue for me as well. I plan on upgrading to Dish HD (right now just using an old OTA HD receiver that is component only), then sure at some point would get an HD DVD player. My son wants a PS3 so of course that is an issue, and I could use the HD player in it, but will still need two HDMI.

For those out there that already have two HDMI's sources, how do you hook them up? I assume some of the newer HD TV's have multiple HDMI inputs??
Old 07-18-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once you need multiple HDMI sources, check out monoprice again for a switcher and a couple short cables. Great prices. The long cable you get now will just become the output from the switcher and you'll need a couple 3-6' cables for going into the switcher.
Old 07-18-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Oh, so you are no longer going to use your PC to watch DVD's?

No, I'll keep using it. It does such a good job that I wouldn't go back to a stand alone. One of them will not be filled, but I am going to run another cable since I have to do the HDMI anyway.
Old 07-18-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Once you need multiple HDMI sources, check out monoprice again for a switcher and a couple short cables. Great prices. The long cable you get now will just become the output from the switcher and you'll need a couple 3-6' cables for going into the switcher.
I didn't look but any of these remote so I can set it up with my Harmony remote?
Old 07-18-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.
Old 07-19-06, 09:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I didn't look but any of these remote so I can set it up with my Harmony remote?
Monoprice is sooooo cool!

5X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch with built-in Equalizer
$132.73

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification
Old 07-19-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dead
Monoprice is sooooo cool!

5X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch with built-in Equalizer
$132.73

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...#specification
I saw that! Very cool! And one of the reviews even mentions the Harmony remote. I'm making such an issue out of using the Harmony as my family has dramatically increased the use of our media room since I got the Harmony. It is so much easier for them to use, so I want to do what I can to keep that "ease of use" going.

Monoprice 5x1 HDMI Switch
The Monoprice 5X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch is available from monoprice.com for about $135 (US). It is a very simple device. It has, as the name suggests, 5 HDMI inputs and one output. This type of product is great for TV owners with one DVI or HDMI input and multiple HDMI components. It comes with a remote control that lets you sequentially go through the inputs or use a discrete button to switch directly to the input you want. The device Supports 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i and 1080p resolution and is HDCP compliant.

In our tests we found that it just works. It was easy to incorporate into the Harmony remote. We set up our macros to switch all the components and then switch the HDMI input. It never misses. The only thing you have to consider is that there are two green LEDs that are always on. In a dark room it can be distracting. You can''t hide the device because it needs a line of site to the remote. If it really bothers you you can put some electrical tape over the LEDs. You are not going to find a better HDMI switcher for the price. Full disclosure. Monoprice was a past sponsor of our podcast. We were not paid to review this product.
Old 07-19-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some notes on the 5way switcher.

It is tiny, can fit almost anywhere, but the cords tend to move it around since it weighs so little.

It will only let you switch between inputs that have a signal. So, it seems you have to turn on the component before you can switch to it. And if you have a PC that needs a constant handshake via DVI, you may need to get a Gefen DVI Detective to make all this work properly.

I believe it will switch back to the previous input if you cut the signal on the current one. By turning off your DVDp or something. This won't matter with a Harmony remote, I'm sure.
Old 07-19-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Some notes on the 5way switcher.

It is tiny, can fit almost anywhere, but the cords tend to move it around since it weighs so little.

It will only let you switch between inputs that have a signal. So, it seems you have to turn on the component before you can switch to it. And if you have a PC that needs a constant handshake via DVI, you may need to get a Gefen DVI Detective to make all this work properly.

I believe it will switch back to the previous input if you cut the signal on the current one. By turning off your DVDp or something. This won't matter with a Harmony remote, I'm sure.
Thanks for the info. I must resist the urge to upgrade my PJ now. Believe it or not my wife has given me the ok to upgrade since we use it so much. But I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger since I barely got 1800 hours on my X1. Plus, I'd like to upgrade the living room TV to HD before Christmas....

But with the cost of these very nice PJ's coming down, the ease of hook up even with the switch to HDMI, it is very tempting....
Old 07-21-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

That is about what I have on my x1. Had a power surge kill my lamp, so the new one only has 825 hours on it. But darn it all, this must be done.
Old 07-21-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Soooo, you ordered one? We ALL expect a full report/review.....