Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Time to upgrade the front projector. Help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Time to upgrade the front projector. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Dish people didn't show up
Old 07-26-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Lots of good options for viewing with different color schemes, though. The brightness absolutely floors me.
I have yet to calibrate mine with Video Essentials, but I use Cinema1 for DVD and Normal for TV, and both look great right out of the box.

Check the AE900 Tweak thread at avsforum and you can try a few things yourself (be prepared to wade through about a million posts): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=589234
Old 07-27-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
New 720p/1080p from Mitsubishi
Old 07-27-06, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Now you're talking! 720p DLP for sub $1500.
Old 07-27-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more, the merrier in the 1080 world. I have a feeling that one will be $10K, though. Soon, they will drop below $5K. And hopefully below $3K soon after that.
Old 07-27-06, 03:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiky
The more, the merrier in the 1080 world. I have a feeling that one will be $10K, though. Soon, they will drop below $5K. And hopefully below $3K soon after that.

A 1080p LCD for $10k? I don't see that happening. The Ruby can be had for quite a bit less that that. I think it'll be between $3,500-$5,000.
Old 07-28-06, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Got it installed today and got the new screen up. The install guy didn't have a part, so I don't have the sat. that gets the Voom channels. I have to give Dish hell tomorrow. But I watched some of a baseball game on espn and would switch to espnhd. It is simply amazing. While watching other things, the difference was there, but the difference really seems incredible for sports. I can't wait for football.

My screen is 122" diagonal 16:9 format, and for TV it is set just fine, but when I switch to the computer, it is off a bit and I can't seem to get it figured out. The right side of the image seems to be shorter than the left. Were it the top or bottom I would just keystone it, but there doesn't appear to be an option for left to right stuff. But I can certainly live with it. It really is like looking through a window at a game.
Old 07-28-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Slayer,
Wow, I totally missed that it is LCD. That's...frightening. At least from Mits. Since ~1" 1080 LCD panels should be pretty easy and common starting now, I wouldn't be surprised if several companies started making 1080 LCD PJs. I wonder if this is the D6 Epson panel or if Mits has a different supplier. As about the 4th digital 1080 PJ,
Old 07-28-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
But I watched some of a baseball game on espn and would switch to espnhd. It is simply amazing. While watching other things, the difference was there, but the difference really seems incredible for sports. I can't wait for football.

My screen is 122" diagonal 16:9 format,
Even tho I'm still using an X1, when I got an old Voom box for OTA HD, the biggest difference I saw was in sports as well. I love Basketball in HD and Yes, my Cowbows look awesome! Tho wait till you see the colors pop on CSI!

122" screen. WOW...how far are you sitting?

You guys are making me antsy to pick up that Panny...where did you and Spiky buy from????
Old 07-28-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Costco.

I can't seem to find the extra stuff from my mount, maybe I threw them away a year ago. So I need to go get some screws to fit the Panny, then I can put it up.
Old 07-28-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Even tho I'm still using an X1, when I got an old Voom box for OTA HD, the biggest difference I saw was in sports as well. I love Basketball in HD and Yes, my Cowbows look awesome! Tho wait till you see the colors pop on CSI!

122" screen. WOW...how far are you sitting?

You guys are making me antsy to pick up that Panny...where did you and Spiky buy from????
I sit about 12' away from the screen. It's about like sitting in the front 1/4 at a theater.

Just had a friend over and he said he didn't really notice the difference of HD. Were were watching Sportcenter. I told him it was because he is used to a clear picture on a 27" tv and this was a crystal clear picture on 122". I switched to the regular ESPN and he was amazed. On a really big screen, the difference is amazing.

But I could see a lot of older people, etc. not ever really getting into it. If you are happy with a 27" tv and sit 10' away or more, you probably can't tell a big difference. But if you like a big screen, it is amazing.
Old 07-30-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I sit about 12' away from the screen. It's about like sitting in the front 1/4 at a theater.

Just had a friend over and he said he didn't really notice the difference of HD. Were were watching Sportcenter. I told him it was because he is used to a clear picture on a 27" tv and this was a crystal clear picture on 122". I switched to the regular ESPN and he was amazed. On a really big screen, the difference is amazing.

But I could see a lot of older people, etc. not ever really getting into it. If you are happy with a 27" tv and sit 10' away or more, you probably can't tell a big difference. But if you like a big screen, it is amazing.
Yup I agree. Before I built my screen I experimented with different sizes based on where I could mount my PJ (for something like my PJ, I just don't trust drywall anchor's, so I basically had two different ceiling joists I could have used plus the small zoom on the x1). I actually watched a movie or two at several sizes from about 70" to 104" (104 was the max space I had to put the screen between two doors and still have a frame around the screen).

It was pretty funny. At 70" my wife was like "omg, that is plenty big". At 80" I was like "that is plenty big". I ended up going 94" and both wife and I love it! I'm so glad I didn't go smaller. Course my front row is about 10' while my rear row is about 12'.

Tho when I do move up to a HD PJ, I will probably build a new screen. I used 1X4's covered in black material for a decorative boarder. I could use 1X2's instead and probably go 98"-102" area. With more "true" HD material, a better DVDp player, and possibly even a PS3 for HD DVD, I think the slightly larger size would be fine.

So while quality still counts....this is one area where size REALLY does matter.
Old 07-30-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I went without a border when I build my last one. I painted the entire wall black, which makes the image seem lighter, and I figured I could add a border if I wanted one. So far, I don't see a reason to. However, that was in the man room. No wall could ever be painted black in the house where my wife would have some say.
Old 07-30-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went without a border when I build my last one. I painted the entire wall black, which makes the image seem lighter, and I figured I could add a border if I wanted one. So far, I don't see a reason to. However, that was in the man room. No wall could ever be painted black in the house where my wife would have some say.
I bet that is a neat look with the "white" screen floating on the black wall. I tried no boarder, but it didn't look good on my off white wall. I added the boarder and really, still didn't like it. I then painted the wall a burgundy color and do like it. Yup, my wife would have a fit if I tried to paint the wall black. But I do like the burgundy and one day will paint the rest of the walls that color.
Old 07-30-06, 10:32 PM
Suspended

My new $200 EM focus CRT projector (which once retailed for about $17,000. ) will be delivered on Tuesday. If it's in as good of shape as it's said to be in that is beyond an incredible deal. I'm a bit worried about setup though since I've heard NEC's are much harder to setup.

I may have to get a second VGA cable and try out a temporary 1080p blend using my other projector. Someone on AVSForum got a blend working running at a native aspect ratio of 2.35:1 using VLC media player and a panoramix filter. I'm hoping to be able to use more than just VLC though if I do a blend in the future.

Mainly I'm just looking forward to seeing what kind of improvement an 7.5" EM focus CRT is over a 7" ES focus set. Can't wait. If it's in good condition it'll be really awesome to get a 720p/1080i pj with such quality for only $200 total.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 07-30-06 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My screen is 122" diagonal 16:9 format, and for TV it is set just fine, but when I switch to the computer, it is off a bit and I can't seem to get it figured out. The right side of the image seems to be shorter than the left. Were it the top or bottom I would just keystone it, but there doesn't appear to be an option for left to right stuff.
You know how to use the little joystick for up/down and left/right adjustments, right? It takes some time to find the exact angle of not only the joystick adjustments, but the projector chassis as well. What I mean is that I was unable to get a perfect rectangle with mine for a while until I tried moving the projector itself kind of clockwise/counter-clockwise (swiveling it, if you have it on a ceiling mount) and realigning everything. Sooner or later, I found the right combination of chassis and joystick adjustment. Use Keystone as a last resort because it diminishes your resolution (mine's on zero).

Also, make sure you hit the "Auto Setup" option when in PC mode (it's under Menu->Position).

Last edited by Numanoid; 08-01-06 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone have an Optima HD7100? It is a Projector with an MSRP of $3499.99 and is hitting the streets around $2500-2700. The greatest thing about it is that it has a darkchip3 for that price. Remember the H79? Reviews are saying that it is better then that. I have also heard some bad things about it, and am wondering if anyone here has had any experience.
Old 08-02-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
You know how to use the little joystick for up/down and left/right adjustments, right? It takes some time to find the exact angle of not only the joystick adjustments, but the projector chassis as well. What I mean is that I was unable to get a perfect rectangle with mine for a while until I tried moving the projector itself kind of clockwise/counter-clockwise (swiveling it, if you have it on a ceiling mount) and realigning everything. Sooner or later, I found the right combination of chassis and joystick adjustment. Use Keystone as a last resort because it diminishes your resolution (mine's on zero).

Also, make sure you hit the "Auto Setup" option when in PC mode (it's under Menu->Position).

Thanks. Some day I may mess with it more, but it is so good as it is, I hate to start a project, as I think it might require me to re-do the mount, which isn't easy.
Old 08-02-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Wow, i wasnt expecting this, but the H27 and screen arrived just now. I ordered it saturday afternoon and its here on tuesday afternoon! Damn you costco, you rock too hard! Impressions are a commin.
Any thoughts yet or still playing?
Old 08-03-06, 01:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by abintra
Any thoughts yet or still playing?
I absolutely LOVE the H27. The colors, the black level, etc. Just amazing. Watching HD Footage on it is just amazing as well. SDE isnt an issue from where i sit. However.. My room is too small and im only shooting a 82" image. What happened is my dad loved my projector too much, so im giving him my H27 and got a H31. The H31 and screen arrived this morning via UPS in fact, but the ceiling mount hasnt yet, so im still on the H27 at this moment.

The H31 will give me a 93" screen (92 is the screen) from the same distance the H27 is at now, and the only main difference is more contrast. So im super excited! Another thing i need to mention, is the screens. The H27 came with a Movietime screen thats white. It works great. The H31 came with the Greywolf II screen that the H27 was also supposed to come with. The greywolf is nice, but when i sit on my poang chairs, the brightness sucks since im sitting too low (my eye is in the middle of the screen). As soon as i stand up, im blown away by the brightness. I need to do some research tonight on how to setup this graywolf for a ceiling mounted projector. If its not possible, ill re-use the movie time screen.
Old 08-03-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for sharing Blitz6Speed.
Old 08-03-06, 05:17 AM
Banned

Heres an update. I did a lot of reading about the graywolf, and theres no if ands or buts about it. It needs a table mount. So i moved the room around and got a decent stand for it (its a bit too wobbly for my tastes, but it works for now). Honestly, the difference isnt too crazy. Its a little brighter, and colors looked a lil punchier, but i never calibrated either projector, so the variables are everywhere. However, the greywolf screen makes everything SO bright! Everything is screaming out in brightness and colors pop out so hardcore. Absolutely stunning. If you want to use this screen, you have to table mount it, otherwise, a white wall is better. Im going to go get a new table for it today (something solid oak or similar, that wont move when you touch it and put the projector out of place) and am going to keep it mounted down here vs the ceiling. Oh, and at full zoom, i beleive the H31 is doing a 96+ inch screen. Filling the 92, i had to zoom in, so im super happy about that. On the h27, full zoom is only 82" in the same spot. Welp, thats all for now. Ill soon have both setups calibrated in light controlled rooms, so ill be able to give a much better review soon.
Old 08-08-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Time for an update to this thread! Can't wait to see this thing in action!

Sony Pearl Unveiled