DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Decent Non-HD/Standard DVD Player?

Old 08-05-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Decent Non-HD/Standard DVD Player?

Hey guys, my DVD player finally crapped out yesterday... and I hate to be "that guy," but after looking through a couple dozen of DVD Players on Amazon and related sites, I think I'm more confused than when I started.

Here's the lowdown for my setup:

- I'm in college, and won't be getting an HDTV for at least 2 years, so I'm looking for player that will work on a 4:3 TV, no-HD necessary.
- My TV supports S-Video and RCAs.
- Region-Free would be nice, but not necessary.
- Pretty much the only thing I'm playing on it is commercial store-bought DVDs.
- My audio system uses component outputs.

So I guess I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but really have no idea where to start. I had a Toshiba SD3950, and it was alright, but it seemed to have a major issue anytime there was a lightning bolt/camera flash where the image would completely flip out on the TV, and I have not an idea what was causing it.

And if there's an older topic I should look at feel free to shove it in my face
Old 08-06-06, 11:09 AM

Take a look at http://www.videohelp.com/

In the dvd players section, just plug in whatever options you want and do a search.

For the most part, for your current setup, any dvd player should be just fine. Just find one the color, size, style, and price you want.
Old 08-06-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I'm going to pick up a Sony DVP-NS85H. Great system and allows for S-Video or HD, so I can keep it for a long while.
Old 08-08-06, 08:38 PM

I think that's the changer version of the NS75H if it has the same mechanics it's a great player.
Old 08-09-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gonzo Style
I think that's the changer version of the NS75H if it has the same mechanics it's a great player.
Yep, they're identical except the 85 is the 5-disk changer. Given that my girlfriend and I watch about 3 or 4 TV on DVD shows at once, we figured it would be well worth the extra $15 orr so for the 5-disk version.

Either way the 75/85 seems to be the best low-cost DVD player out there IMHO from what I've read.