Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Good VCR/DVD Recorder machine around $200

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So my VCR died and ate a few tapes. Yes I still use VCRs to record some shows and most of the time I record a show if I'm not going to be at home and tape over it later. I'm not interested in DVRs since they don't make one that can't be used without a subscription.

I looked at the prices of VCRs and the lowest price of a name brand is $59. I've been looking to transfer all my old taped shows to DVD so I will need a new VCR. Considering the price of the VCRs I saw and the price of a DVD recorder, it is cheaper just to get one combined into one machine. (I have a spindel of DVD+R disks so I'm leaing towards one that uses those) I'm looking for a name brand (Memorax, RCA, Panasonic, Sharp, etc.) so I don't end up with a piece of crap. I'm looking to pick it up in a local store (Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target) so i don't have to deal with mailing it back if I need to get a replacement.

Any recommendations for ones that range around $200? I've seen there are many there around that range.
Old 01-24-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't sweat it. The good VCRs just aren't made anymore. Pick up whatever, they're now all about the same for build quality and video quality. The only combo units I ever really put ahead of another for video quality were LG/Zenith. Not sure where they fall for pricing, though. Or if they are still superior. I bought a Govideo for $100 (not a DVD burner) since video quality wasn't an issue, it's been fine.

To avoid the tape-eating issue, get a magnetic (dry) VCR cleaner tape and run it every 20-30 hours of use. It will prolong the life of your tapes, and VCR.
Old 01-24-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I just saw a closeout at Ecost.com on a Go Video brand VCR/DVDR for around $129. I don't think it was a refurb, just an older model.