DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

The best way to hook up a subwoofer?

Old 10-05-05, 07:58 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The best way to hook up a subwoofer?

I just picked up a Dayton 12" subwoofer (heard a lot of good things about it over at HTF) and want to know the best way to connect it?
Here it the back of it.

My stereo is a few years old and has one RCA jack for the subwoofer connection. I currently have two RCA cords coming out of the sub and into a Y adaptor and into my stereo. Is this the best way or should I use speaker wire?
Old 10-05-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a way to connect the speaker wire to your receiver since it has an RCA connector for the sub? I am by no means an expert, but I don't see any problem with doing what you are doing...i.e. using the RCA connectors. Does it sound good with the RCA connectors??

Looks like a nice sub!!!
Old 10-06-05, 09:26 AM

What you are already doing is probably the standard way of doing it.
Old 10-07-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have my sub hooked up with speaker wire....I guess it just matters what you like. Mine sounds fine that way, but a LOT of people hook them up direct.
Old 10-07-05, 11:02 AM
DAC

Do you then have the speakers running from the subwoofer?
Old 10-07-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're fine with the RCA hookup, that's the easiest and best way. Subs hooked up with speaker wire are either using the receiver's amp instead of their own (which puts undue stress on the receiver), or they are taking the signal back down to line level and re-amping it with their own amp (which seems pointless unless the receiver doesn't have an RCA output). RCA connection is much simpler.

And for many subs, using the Y connector is a good idea since it will give full volume capability. Sounds strange, but true. You can get a 3db boost just by using the Y, even though the signal level from the receiver remains constant. Something about how the sub's amp works, I guess.

Some systems operate differently, like Bose.
Old 10-07-05, 01:47 PM

And for many subs, using the Y connector is a good idea since it will give full volume capability. Sounds strange, but true. You can get a 3db boost just by using the Y, even though the signal level from the receiver remains constant. Something about how the sub's amp works, I guess.
My sub (not the one shown here) is hooked up using the RCA jack but it's only hooked up through one of the Line in (L or R). Should you use a "Y" connector?? This is the first time I've seen this suggestion.
Old 10-07-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you have an SPL meter? If so, you can test it quick to see if it matters. 3db isn't much to the ears, but it means double the amp power to the sub. So you can halve your needed power if this works for your sub. Some subs do not have this issue, like SVS. I'm not really sure why it is, but I've seen lots of discussion about it. Unless they were all wrong.
Old 10-07-05, 06:58 PM
DAC

Thanks for the replies fellas.