Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HD DVR from DirecTV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD DVR from DirecTV?

I'm a current customer. Do they offer any deals, or is there anyway I can get an HD DVR from them for a reasonable price?
Old 08-10-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be interested in knowing about this, too. My current cable company is way too expensive for HD DVR service. I compared it to DirecTV's price recently and it'd save me almost $30 a month to switch to them.
Old 08-10-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I know they sell them from the website,but they are a little higher than if you got one from BB.I don't know of any deals to get it from them cheaper,although you can get some money credited on your account if you buy one on your own and call cusomer retention.
Old 08-10-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
The cheapest around is about $500 at BB and CC, usually after instant rebate and $100 MIR. I wouldn't jump to that ship just yet, though, especially if you are planning on keeping DirecTV long term. When they switch over to MPEG-4, and have to start switching boxes, that'll be one that they have to switch over.
Old 08-10-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For some ideas/deals, go look at....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=36
Old 08-10-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The price was just dropped to $600, plus there is a $100 rebate for any new purchases of a D* DVR. That's where the $500 price tag comes from. You can get it $50 cheaper through certain online dealers if you are a member of the Tivo Community.

If you are a long-term D* customer, you can probably talk them into a discount of up to $250. If new, you may get nothing. All HD subscribers can get the $11/month HD package for $5/month if you ask. You can probably also get HBO or Showtime for reduced cost or free for 3-6 months. With D*, it's all about what you can talk them into. I got the $250 discount and skipped all the rest since I don't really want those channels long-term, anyway.

The HD DVR cannot do the MPEG4 when that goes live. But, MPEG4 is only going to be used for HD locals and eventually other future HD channels. So the HD DVR is not quite extinct yet, and may still be worth the purchase as D* should swap it out for free with a comparable MPEG4-capable box next year. Personally, I don't need HD LiL from D*, so I will be just fine with the current box for a couple years and will swap for a new one when appropriate and possible. That's why I bought one a couple months ago. After the rebates back then, I spent $399. So the price could be better now.

D* will offer MPEG4 HD DVRs of some sort starting in 2006, but it is up in the air as to what they will be like. One will probably be basic, like current Dish and cable company DVRs. Another will probably be the HMC whole house setup that automatically shares all recorded shows with all TVs once it is set correctly. Tivo may even still be an option, although that is less likely.