Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I have a Plasma TV realted question.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-09-05, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a Panasonic 50" HD Plasma TV. I have the installers coming to install it on Saturday. My question is how do I position it? Do you put it at eye level or a little higher? I haven't bought my couch yet (I just bought a new house) so this gets even trickier. Any suggestions?
Old 08-09-05, 09:34 PM
X
Administrator

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
A good question for a Plasma TV related forum. So I'll move it.
Old 08-09-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eye level is fine.. or a little higher. I tested out putting mine even higher off the floor and decided I did not like it, that was the base around 50+ inches off the floor. I am now at around 30" off the floor to the bottom.
Old 08-10-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best is if your eye is at 2/3rds up the screen. (about 8" down from the top of a 50" screen) That may seem low, but it is true. You definitely want to have it somewhere at eye level. My big screen is a bit high, so I tend to always lean back. My eye is at about 1/3 up the screen. Those people that put them above fireplaces are nuts. Talk about neck strain.

Edit:
I checked my worksheet and had to change this. My eye is about 1/3 up the screen and it is still a bit high. Not bad, though. For a 50", the screen is only ~24.5" tall. It would be fine anywhere at eye level or a bit higher, but 2/3 up is still the best.

Last edited by Spiky; 08-10-05 at 01:12 PM.