Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Digital cable and replayTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-05, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to troubleshoot an issue I'm having with my replay tv reception. I just moved and had digital cable installed. I use a 3-way splitter to split the cable signal. One output goes to the digital cable box, one goes to replay #1 and one goes to replay #2. The picture from the digital box is fantastic. The picture from the replays however is terrible. Lots of noise, etc. I'm using coax cable for the 2 replay units. This is the same cable I used in my old place, only now...I have digital service instead of the basic cable. Here's a list of my possible trouble spots:

1. The splitter is crap
- I'm not sure this is the reason since the digital box has great reception.

2. Coax cable is bad
- Once again...not sure this is the issue since they worked fine 2 days ago when I only had analog(basic) cable.

3. Digital Cable uses too much bandwidth
- This seems most likely to me in which case will an amplifier help?
Thanks

4. Cable connection strength isn't high enough
- I hooked the reply drectly to the cable (no splitters or anything and the reception was still poor, although better than with the splitter)

Last edited by pdutta2000; 07-24-05 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-25-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) Probably not if digital works. But is there a signal meter on the box to check what the reception truly is? There are on sat and HDTV boxes, I'm not sure about cable.
2) Well, it isn't one single cable, you have at least 4 in this setup in and out of the splitter. Have you tried swapping them to see if just a couple are bad? Some coax connectors can be damaged way too easily.
3) Don't think so, it shouldn't interfere. Maybe ask the company.
4) Maybe, but see #1.

Are you sure analog is still "on" here? Have you tried the cable company? Usually they are in charge of fixing reception problems, and usually at no cost to you.