DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LCD Burn in?

Old 05-02-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD Burn in?

Hey all,

I know that LCD TVs are not prone to burn in like CRTs and Plasmas are, but is there ANY risk of burn in at all? I am particularly asking about a larger, 46 inch LCD. That is, if I leave the contrast on high, and leave a video game pause for 2 days (with a bright white "PAUSE" in the middle of the screen), will there be any resulting damage? And also, is a smaller (20 inch) LCD considered "direct view" and a larger (46 inch) LCD TV considered an RP TV? -- or are they all considered direct view when they are LCD? if that makes sense..... ?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-02-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts
I don't think LCD has any chance of burn-in,although i am no expert on the subject.
If you would have to leave a game paused for 2 days for whatever reason,i would hope you would just turn the tv off.
Old 05-02-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LCD panels do not burn in. Why would you leave your TV on for 2 days anyway?

Texas Instruments did a test to prove their DLP tech is better than LCD. They ran a dozen or more projectors for months without shutting them off. Some of the LCDs began having damage after 2 months (about 1390 hours), most made it 3 or more. The DLPs did not suffer similar damage. If they had run these projectors with standard HT usage parameters, in a cooler room and for no more than 10 hours a day (that's pretty generous, I think), the damage would not have occured with an equal number of hours.

Oh, and the damage was a yellowing of the panel, not burn in of specific images like CRT technologies can do. I think it was the blue panel fading or something that caused the yellowing.

I suppose you could call a flat LCD "direct-view", but I haven't really seen that anywhere since people use "direct-view" and "tube" interchangeably. I just use "flat panel" or similar. "RPTV" doesn't suggest the technology used, just that it is a big box with projection from inside. So most everyone I've talked to uses "RPTV" for LCD versions.

One major difference between the flat panels and projectors, RPTV or front, is the size of the LCD panel. PJs have 3 small panels that they shine light through. I think they all have 3 separate panels. A flat panel just has the single, large 3-color panel which is actual size.
Old 05-02-05, 05:07 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LCD doesn't not burn in.

CRT and plasma can suffer from burn in because the phospherus coating on their screen can get burned in when it gets excited (emitting light) unevenly for an extended period of time.
Old 05-02-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerQ
Hey all,

I know that LCD TVs are not prone to burn in like CRTs and Plasmas are, but is there ANY risk of burn in at all? I am particularly asking about a larger, 46 inch LCD. That is, if I leave the contrast on high, and leave a video game pause for 2 days (with a bright white "PAUSE" in the middle of the screen), will there be any resulting damage? And also, is a smaller (20 inch) LCD considered "direct view" and a larger (46 inch) LCD TV considered an RP TV? -- or are they all considered direct view when they are LCD? if that makes sense..... ?

Thanks,

Matt
Assuming you are not buying a TV to leave on for 2 days with a big PAUSE in the middle, what do you want in a TV? Will this mainly be for games, TV, DVD, HD, etc. Do you have any physical size issues (talking TV's here ), will this room have good light control, viewed from an angle, etc.
Or is Burn in the single biggest issue for you? DLP's also do not suffer burn in. CRT while can have burn in, much of this can be avoided by taking reasonable percaustions.
Old 05-02-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eau
LCD doesn't not burn in.
Old 05-03-05, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
LCD can suffer from 3 different 'burn in' problems. None of the 3 happen very ofton.

The first is heat related. If you put your LCD in a small box with space heaterand no ventilation, then your LCD polarizers, usually the blue one for some arcane reason, can develop a heat spot. This generally appears as a yellow or green 'gauss' effect on the side or corner. Proper ventalation solves this. It's pretty rare with a LCD-RP set or flat-panel, but has been known to happen to LCD-FP when they are closed up in a small space.

The second is ghosting. This can happen if you leave a static image on the screen too long. Unplugging your Tv immedialty and completely solves the problem. It is pretty infrequant.

The third is actual burn in. I have 2 reports on AVS Forum of the Sharp Aquas(sp?) flat-panels burning in. Real burn in, not heat, not ghosting. The reports are from some people I trust quite a bit and who are not idiots.

Don't let any of that scare you; you're safe leaving your set on. I _would_ turn it off to conserve the bulb if it's a LCD-RP. If I were buying I would get a DLP-RP or an LCD-RP.
Old 05-03-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by gcbrowni
LCD can suffer from 3 different 'burn in' problems. None of the 3 happen very ofton.

The first is heat related. If you put your LCD in a small box with space heaterand no ventilation, then your LCD polarizers, usually the blue one for some arcane reason, can develop a heat spot. This generally appears as a yellow or green 'gauss' effect on the side or corner. Proper ventalation solves this. It's pretty rare with a LCD-RP set or flat-panel, but has been known to happen to LCD-FP when they are closed up in a small space.

The second is ghosting. This can happen if you leave a static image on the screen too long. Unplugging your Tv immedialty and completely solves the problem. It is pretty infrequant.

The third is actual burn in. I have 2 reports on AVS Forum of the Sharp Aquas(sp?) flat-panels burning in. Real burn in, not heat, not ghosting. The reports are from some people I trust quite a bit and who are not idiots.

Don't let any of that scare you; you're safe leaving your set on. I _would_ turn it off to conserve the bulb if it's a LCD-RP. If I were buying I would get a DLP-RP or an LCD-RP.
Great post! I thought I had read a lot about the LCD and DLP, but didn't see that. I think you bring up a great point, there are probably more pressing issues with leaving your tv (any tv) on for days on end then burn in.
Old 05-03-05, 03:50 PM

Burn-in is possible, but very rare. I have burn-in on my HP 2025, check the AVS Forum for pictures and more info.

The only tech that wouldn't be effected by your worst case scenario you originally posted would be DLP.