DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

player problems

Old 03-25-05, 04:52 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

player problems

hi, my sony dvd player is 5 +years old and recently has been skipping (jumping back to the beginning) alot of scenes on various clean dvd'sor just pausing in mid frame till the player goes back to another scene from the start, it has been used a significant amount, i was wondering is there any way to clean the head or maybe it's time to get a new dvd player, thanks
Old 03-25-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you could try a laser lens cleaner disc before getting it repaired or replaced. the one i have is made by maxell, it looks like a cd with a few tiny bristles on the back. they are very inexpensive and supposed to clean dust etc. from the lens. it may or may not work but i have had success with it on several cd players and use it as part of regular maintainence on all my units, dvd, cd, pc and otherwise.
Old 03-25-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NO! Don't destroy your player with that crap. What model of Sony is it?
Old 03-25-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
NO! Don't destroy your player with that crap. What model of Sony is it?

um, how exactly is a lens cleaner cd going to destroy his player? there is no liquid involved. using this device coupled with canned air has saved me some costly repairs. it will not fix tracking problems, but if dust is the culprit it may provide an inexpensive soloution to his problem.
Old 03-25-05, 11:54 AM

Whackitywhackitywhackitywhackitywhackitywhackitywhackitywhack.

That's the sound of that little brush whacking your laser assembly several thousand times per minute.

If it's already out of alignment, you probably won't make it worse with one of these things, but you won't fix it either. And if it's not out of alignment now, it will be if you keep using the cleaner (unless the brush on yours doesn't actually touch anything, which makes it a sugar pill).

Open up the chassis and use a little compressed air to dust the lens. Don't get too close.

However, the likelihood is very high, with a heavily used 5-year old Sony, that the laser is out of alignment or just going bad. If so, it's not worth the cost of repair. You have nothing to lose by trying to clean the lens.

You may also try this, if yours is one of the Sony models it applies to: Procedure for re-aligning the laser on some Sony players

No guarantees, and if you screw up your player, I was never here.

RichC
Old 03-25-05, 11:54 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's a sony cd/dvd player model DVP-NS300, it's old, if i buy a new one then i will definitely get a dvd recorder.
Old 03-25-05, 12:27 PM
X
Administrator

I have a recorder but I've never tried playing a commercial DVD on it.

All the reading I've done on recorders says that the player part of them isn't as good as a decent player-only model.
Old 03-25-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

granted, the tiny brush does touch the lens, but it is incredibly small and soft.

how "safe" they are is debatable, but the companies "claim" that they are. i have used it successfully and it has worked for me.

if you are interested, here are the different laser lens cleaners available:

http://www.computercleanusa.com/prod...duct_id=dvd-lc
Old 03-25-05, 12:49 PM
X
Administrator

I've used a brush CDas well on several of players and computer CD and DVD drives. The brushes are extremely soft (at least on mine) and have never hurt any one of them. My version uses a drop of liquid which does the cleaning.
Old 03-25-05, 12:52 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the assistance guys, why not get the cleaner, if it does not work, i will just have to get a new player or recorder, because the situation will not improve by itself and repairs are not worth it considering how cheap players are, thanks.

By the way which cleaner do you recommend, there are several at that computerclean website.

Last edited by ruk; 03-25-05 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-25-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they are probably about the same. i have the maxell.
Old 03-25-05, 01:52 PM
X
Administrator

I have the discwasher.
Old 03-25-05, 02:41 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks.