DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Set up new speakers, now receiver keeps shutting off??

Old 03-14-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Set up new speakers, now receiver keeps shutting off??

asking this question for a friend, hoping someone here can help...

On Friday I got a 5.1 set up finally. I have had a decent Marantz receiver for some time now, but never any surround speakers....

So I set up the speakers and ran all my cables and now my receiver keeps shutting off. I am assuming there is a short somewhere, or it is going into "safe mode". I have checked all the connections and cant seem to find what the problem is.

I was wondering if you have ever encountered anything similar and if you had any advice or tips for me to try..
anyone ever heard of anything like this before? any help would be great. thanks!
Old 03-14-05, 01:37 PM

Protection circuits are triggered by excessive current draw. The causes of such a condition:

-Impedance too low
--A short circuit causes zero impedance
--Some amplifiers have trouble with 4-ohm loads, although usually only at higher volumes.

-Defective wire or speaker

One way to test:
-Disconnect all but the main L/R speakers. Reconfigure receiver for "no" center channel or surrounds. Test. If there's still a failure, substitute wires and speakers, one at a time. If all fail, it's the receiver. If one of the subsitutions allows proper operation, the removed item is at fault.

If system passes test with front speakers and wires, add center channel, reconfigure receiver, test. And so forth, until the malfunctioning item (speaker or length of wire) has been isolated.

A defect in the wire itself - damage from a staple or thumb-tack, an abrasion from being walked on, etc. - is more common than most people expect.

RichC
Old 03-14-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had this happen to me and it drove me nuts. As RichC said, it was a staple through one wire. Found it, replaced it, and all was well again.
Old 03-14-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Double-check your connections. I've sworn up and down for hours I correctly hooked-up cables, but found out later on--after I took a break and grabbed something to eat--one of the cables was reversed...thereby making my receiver get irritated. Make sure every cable, + and -, is going to the respective + or - jack on the amp and the speaker itself.
Old 03-14-05, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Double-check your connections. I've sworn up and down for hours I correctly hooked-up cables, but found out later on--after I took a break and grabbed something to eat--one of the cables was reversed...thereby making my receiver get irritated. Make sure every cable, + and -, is going to the respective + or - jack on the amp and the speaker itself.
Reversed polarity on one or more speaker will not cause an amplifier to overload. It will make the system sound less than optimal, but polarity has no effect on amplifier load.

Mostly likely, in the act of re-connecting the reversed wire you also unwittingly fixed a short.

RichC
Old 03-15-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the suggestions, guys.. looks like he got it figured out...

I had an digital audio out going into a RCA video in from my cable box to the receiver, so it must have been turning off when an dig audio signal tried to pass into the video in.......

I have heard of this happening before and it usually had to do with impedance or faulty speaker wiring, but I was meticulous in running the speakers, so thats why I was so frustrated and baffled......
weird..
Old 03-15-05, 10:58 AM

Huh. Plugging a coax digital audio output into a composite video input triggers the amp's protection circuit. I guess you learn something new every day.

RichC