DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Onkyo TX-SR502 vs. TXSR602B??

Old 03-08-05, 07:24 AM

Onkyo TX-SR502 vs. TXSR602B??

Hi everyone,
I'm currently looking to purchase a new receiver and I'm deciding between the Onkyo TX-SR502 and the TX-SR602B. I'm also kicking around the idea of spending a little more ($399) for the Pioneer VSX-1014TX, but I think this receiver is probably a little overkill for me.
I've researched these pretty well and understand all the differences between them. I currently have a 5.1 setup - I got in on the Best Buy Celestion speakers for $150 a while back and have an awesome Mirage sub.
I will most likely get a center rear speaker for a 6.1 setup. I don't know if I'll ever bother with a 7.1 setup as I don't really know if it's worth it (any thoughts on this??).
I'm looking to purchase the receiver from J&R music (through Amazon) as they seem to have the lowest prices. Here's my problem:

New TX-SR502 for $229 shipped - 2 year Onkyo warranty
Refurbished TXSR502 for $178 shipped - 1 year Onkyo warranty

New TX-SR602B for $349 shipped - 2 year Onkyo warranty
Refurbished TX-602B for $285 shipped - 1 year Onkyo warranty

Has anyone here had any experience with a refurbished Onkyo receiver??
I'm leaning towards the refurbished 602B since it's only $56 more than the new 502. Is the extra 10 watts per channel really worth the trade-off of the one year warranty?? I know there are other differences (more inputs , seperate powered output for another room, etc....) and people at the AVS forum swear by the 602B as having a much fuller and richer sound. I just don't feel that comfortable purchasing a refurbished unit which was someone else's problem.
I realize that it's been reworked by Onkyo and tested to work as new, but why only the 1 year warranty??
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If anyone has any other suggestions on any of the receivers I've mentioned or where to purchase these for better prices, please let me know.
On a side note, does anyone know how I could purchase one (1) of the Celestion speakers to use as a center reear speaker?? I've looked all over , but they don't seem to sell them seperately. I really don't want to purchase a set just for one speaker and then try to sell the remaining speakers. Has anyone here done this already??
Old 03-08-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it is just going to come down to if you want the extra power and inputs or not and how you feel about refurbished.

If you check around at other makers with refurbished, you will see that getting a one year warranty for refurbished is actually pretty good. I purchased a refurbished sub from Onkyo once when they had it for like $50.00 or something. There was a sticker on it that said "cosmetic damage" and one corner had a heavy scratch it worked great.

I also purchased a Harman Kardon HT Receiver refurbished directly from them. Have had it a year and love it! No problems and sound awesome!

The celestions will take a look of clean power which the Onkyo should provide so I would no worry about to much power. You might call the Celestion number found in the Celestion thread and see if you can purchase a single speaker directly.
Old 03-08-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

eCost has the 502B new for $196.00 w/free shipping if that helps any..

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=464304
Old 03-09-05, 06:40 AM

eCost has the 502B new for $196.00 w/free shipping if that helps any..
The link shows the price at $299.

Anywhere else to get these cheaper or any other thoughts??
Old 03-09-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cverneau
The link shows the price at $299.

Anywhere else to get these cheaper or any other thoughts??
Well either they were running a heck of a deal or I was looking at a refurbished one. I know I checked it three or four times and could have sworn they had it as new...sorry
Old 03-12-05, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Followed the link and it shows up as $195.99 for me, and I think it's new because it doesn't say Refurbished or Reconditioned anywhere, unless I missed it.
Old 03-12-05, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually ordered it. Came out to be $216.58 with $5.95 for handling and $14.64 tax.
Old 03-12-05, 02:00 PM

That link comes up $195.99 for me as well. I don't see any refurb/recon anywhere either. I'd go for that deal cverneau, hard to beat it.
Old 03-12-05, 11:25 PM

I'm seeing a new TX-SR502 on eCost for $195.99 with 22 hours left of the bargain. It's a great receiver for the money. I just received mine from eCost a few weeks ago and love it.
Old 03-14-05, 07:29 AM

I stopped in at a local Circuit City this weekend to audition the SR502 & the SR602. I liked the sound of the SR602 much better. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on the SR602. I've still got to check out the Pioneer 1014 as it's pretty much the same price as the SR602.
I'm not in a hurry and can wait for a sweet deal to come my way.
Anyone have any more thoughts or experience with refurbished??
Old 03-14-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up a 602 a few weeks ago. I had the same problem you have in trying to pick between this and the 502. For me the stuff I read about the better sound and the inputs sealed the deal for me. Also, little things like on screen menu and the video upconversion they hyped. Composite and S Video does look better through my 12 year old dust TV My wife actually noticed this without me having to say anything I'm starting all over again so I can't comment on sound quality yet (no speakers yet ), but hooking up all of my junk it appears to be a nice unit just as I have read.
Old 03-15-05, 02:56 PM

I just purchased the 602 online for $341 shipped from 6th Avenue Electronics.
They're an authorized Onkyo dealer, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.
I have the Celestion AVP305 speaker package already. I'd love to have two more Celestion satellites, but they don't sell them seperately.
Anyone have any suggestions for the 6th & 7th channel speakers??