DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVI cables : Do I really need a Monster?

Old 03-13-05, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DVI cables : Do I really need a Monster?

Hi. Just a quick question and sorry if it's been covered before (the old can't search for three-letter word excuse applies). I'm getting a new home theater system from Tweeter and they're trying to gourge me (as I expected). They're pushing a $100 Moster DVI cable for me to connect between my Samsung DVDHD841 player and my 42" Samsung HP-P4261 plasma TV. Neither is close to top-end stuff, more like entry-level. I've discovered that 1) my friend can get DVI cables dirt cheap where he works and 2) that DVD player comes with a DVI cable included. So is it going to make any real difference to spend that hundred bucks or is my friend correct in saying "digital is digital" and just going with the standard stuff? Thanks.

And if anyone knows that I'm making a mistake with either of those other purchases, letting me know now would be appreciated as well.
Old 03-13-05, 04:41 AM

MOnster cables are bascially a rip off. A good set of calbes from like AR are fine. sorry for the misspeeling, very drunk drightnow
Old 03-13-05, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't search DVI but you cans earch Monster. That'll tell you everything you need to know.
Old 03-13-05, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just use the DVI cable that comes with your player. It will work, you will be happy.
Old 03-13-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here is something fun. Get the Tweeter guy to hook your system up with the $100 DVI cable and the one that came with your DVD player. If he can prove to you that there is a difference then buy the monster cable.
Old 03-13-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As others here have stated that's a "Big NO"! In fact I got mine free from my daughters boyfriend that installs audio/vedio stuff in tour buses. They get those that come with Direct TV sets and just trash them since there not long enough.

Like palebluedot said get a Monster set and prove it. Save the $$$ for some other worthy cause.

Kenny J.
Old 03-13-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks all!

I've done some research and found that this player is a dog. I'll exchange it either for the next model up DVDHD941 or the Sony DVP-NS975V, which looks to be more reliable.
Old 03-14-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just set up my aunt with that DVD player and used the included DVI cable it looks great.
Old 03-15-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
And if anyone knows that I'm making a mistake with either of those other purchases, letting me know now would be appreciated as well.
i'm thinking you're making a mistake purchasing anything from tweeter..

go there, find what you like, come home, and go to pricegrabber.com. chances are you'll find whatever it is much, much cheaper.