Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Recommend a nice big TV to me

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recommend a nice big TV to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CRT I mentioned is fully HD capable (I've even gotten 1080p out of it). The X1 can display HD too, but it downscales to progressive SD. Still, it looks a lot better than you might imagine. DVDs on both look great (although the CRT projector I just got recently puts it to shame, because it is absolutely spectacular). I use FFDShow on both for DVDs; it makes dvds look near HD. The X1 is best at 7-8 feet really (but is very good at 9ft too). It can display a great DVD picture at those sizes. "Decent" is an understatement. It has an onboard faroudja chip just like the higher end dvd players too. The CRT with DVD is stunning and the X1 is very good.

CRT may be too much hassle for a projector newbie though (Personally, I thought it was quite easy and worth it though). They throw incredible images and are by far the best bang for you buck in home theater.

BTW, Philips Outlet also has a 51" widescreen HDTV. It combined with the X1 (or a good, but cheap CRT) is still less than what you were thinking of spending on just one HD set. 51" HDTV and an X1 (or CRT pj) capable of a 7-10+ft picture for about $1500. How can that deal be beaten? It can't. Not too bad if you ask me (especially considering that the X1 used to cost $1,600 and most CRT FPs used to cost upto $20,000-$30,000).

Don't get too hung up on specs of the X1, because they are misleading (the X1 throws a better HD and DVD picture than a lot of people realize, but again I'd recommend the CRT projector much more to anyone who doesn't mind the size and want the ultimate in picture quality). The combo I just listed right above would give you more enjoyment than just one overpriced HDTV (and for about the $1,500 price tag. Probably a couple hundred more for a CRT instead of the X1 though). Trust me, I know. I own a $2,200 55" HDTV along with an X1 DLP and CRT front projector.

Just thought I'd give you something to consider. I wish I had known about all of my options before I bought my HDTV, because I feel I overpaid for it now. With the combo I listed above (the new one) you could use the 51" during the day and the projector when it starts to get dark. I use my projector during the day too though, because it's not really hard to block sunlight where I am. Just use some shades that can block about 98-99% of the suns light and all will be fine.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 05-02-05 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-17-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TV gets here on Thurs or Fri !!!!
Old 05-26-05, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
TV gets here on Thurs or Fri !!!!
Let us know if the TV is worth the $$$
Old 05-26-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Let us know if the TV is worth the $$$

just got cable yesterday.... it is pretty sweet
Old 05-26-05, 08:12 PM
Banned

just got cable yesterday.... it is pretty sweet
Glad you are happy with your purchase, that's all it matters!
Old 05-28-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Glad you are happy with your purchase, that's all it matters!
i'm not real happy with reg. cable.. it seems to be a little fuzzy.. i think it might just be because the picture is everything is kind of magnified
Old 05-29-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
i'm not real happy with reg. cable.. it seems to be a little fuzzy.. i think it might just be because the picture is everything is kind of magnified
Yes if you read around that is pretty common. The bigger the TV the better the source needs to be. On my PJ I notice quite a difference between certain channels as well (I have not HD input at this point).