Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

can you hook up a dvd recorder to a tivo to record your shows from tivo to dvd?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i mean if you buy a stand alone dvd recorder will it work if you hook up to a tivo?
Old 05-29-05, 11:42 AM

You can connect the analog outputs of a TiVo to any kind of recorder you choose, and use the "save to VCR" feature to copy from the TiVo to the recorder. This will happen in real time, in the analog domain. Anyediting will have to happen on the recorder.

There are also TiVos with built-in DVD recorders; also, the TiVo-to-Go feature lets you move TiVo files to a networked PC, where you can edit and burn them.

RichC
Old 05-29-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Originally Posted by rdclark
There are also TiVos with built-in DVD recorders; also, the TiVo-to-Go feature lets you move TiVo files to a networked PC, where you can edit and burn them.

RichC
I just got notice that my Tivo did an automatic upgrade to the TiVo-to-Go feature. There was like a 3 page notice telling me all the benefits where to get more information, how cool it was, etc, etc.

Of course the final line was that since I use the Toshiba SD-H400 with free basic TiVo, I don't get any of it
Old 05-29-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

will i loose quality doing it this way, hooking the recorder up as i would with the vcr?
Old 05-29-05, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by maingon
will i loose quality doing it this way, hooking the recorder up as i would with the vcr?
Yes. Whether it will be a meaningful or noticeable loss is hard to say.

Assuming you're using a standalone TiVo connected to an analog source (cable or OTA) the TiVo compression already introduces visible compression artifacts, even at Best quality, visible on any TV. This is the signal -- the same one that goes to your TV -- that you'd be recording from the TiVo's analog outputs. Your DVD recorder will compress the video yet again.

I've used TiVo to Go to make DVDs that play back looking pretty much identical to the original TiVo recording, when viewed on the same TV. But TtG is very slow, and you have to jump through a few hoops to make DVDs using it.