DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DIRECTV question - try out HD receiver.

Old 01-22-05, 02:59 PM
Suave Member

DIRECTV question - try out HD receiver.

I currently have DirecTV service with two receivers. Is there any way I can try out an HD receiver without having to sign up for another annual agreement? I'd like to see what all the HD love it all about but I'm not sure its worth the extra costs.
Old 01-22-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Not that I am aware of. Maybe a friend or family member has it and could try it out. Right now, the HD channels are limited on DirecTv. If I were you, I't wait a bit. There are 4 new satellites launching this year, which will largely increase HD broadcasting on DirecTv.
Old 01-22-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, because you would have to have the HD package in addition to your regular subscription.

As far a being worth the cost, I believe that it is and I am sorry there is not more HD programming on.
Old 01-22-05, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RicoSuave
I currently have DirecTV service with two receivers. Is there any way I can try out an HD receiver without having to sign up for another annual agreement? I'd like to see what all the HD love it all about but I'm not sure its worth the extra costs.
You mention your satellite equipment, but not your TV - I assume you have an HD (or HD ready) TV? Just want to make sure you realize that you can't get HD with just any TV.

If you've never seen HD, you better have a couple towels handy to clean up the drool...

Comparison:
480i (standard cable/satellite/DVD): 307,200 pixels (480x640)
480p (Progressive Scan DVD): 337,920 pixels (480x704)
1080i (HD): 2,073,600 pixels (1080x1920)

Don't worry - the quality is stunning compared to non-HD. If you can't see a vast difference, you're either blind, or it's not set up right...
Old 01-22-05, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
As far a being worth the cost, I believe that it is and I am sorry there is not more HD programming on.
There's tons of HD programming on Voom - but unfortunately, it looks like they're going bye-bye...
Old 01-23-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was possible to buy a HD STB from a store and just call them and add the HD programming package. If you're not happy then return the STB from where you bought it as long as the store as a 30 day return policy and cancel the package from D*. I think the only time you need to commit to a longer contract with D* is if they're giving you the STB free or at a discount.
Old 01-23-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shelland
There's tons of HD programming on Voom - but unfortunately, it looks like they're going bye-bye...
It is too bad they were the only ones pushing HD hard.
Old 01-23-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting until they start pushing hard for new HD customers and giving some deals for equipment and programming. I have an HDTV now but until more programming is available, I can wait. I'm one of those idiots that had to have DirecTV (no cable access in the sticks) at it's onset and paid $1000 for the same equipment they GIVE new subscribers these days.
Old 01-23-05, 06:16 PM
Suave Member

Originally Posted by shelland
You mention your satellite equipment, but not your TV - I assume you have an HD (or HD ready) TV? Just want to make sure you realize that you can't get HD with just any TV.
Sorry about the omission, I have a Toshiba 51H84 (rear projection CRT). The PQ i'm getting now as compared to Cox Cable is astounding. I can't imagine how HD would look then.

Originally Posted by chipmac
I thought it was possible to buy a HD STB from a store and just call them and add the HD programming package. If you're not happy then return the STB from where you bought it as long as the store as a 30 day return policy and cancel the package from D*.
This would be perfect for me. Can anyone else confirm?
Old 01-23-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Osiris
It is too bad they were the only ones pushing HD hard.
Not anymore. DirecTV has4 new sats launching this year.