Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which $200 Receiver should i buy?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-20-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to buy something that does 5.1 to watch movies in my basement. I have $250 in Best Buy credit and found these 4 on their website:

Yamaha HTR-5730

Pioneer VSXD514K
Sony STRDE597
Kenwood VR-806

Thanks
Old 01-20-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If that is where you need to spend the money and those are the choices I would take the Yamaha.
Old 01-20-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't forget they're doing an open-box/display clearance right now; you may find a nice deal on something at your local Best Buy.
Old 01-20-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
If that is where you need to spend the money and those are the choices I would take the Yamaha.
based on what? according to the description that model doesn't even have component video inputs/outputs. that would be the last one i would pick for that reason alone. i would go with one of the models that offers 6.1 sound (just in case you want to upgrade one day) and has at least 2 component video inputs and one component video output. and of course you should listen to them first in person.

chris
dollfins1
Old 01-20-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of those listed.....the Kenwood seems the best bet. 6.1 sound and a better warranty.
Old 01-20-05, 12:19 PM

I also see that the Yamaha 5740 and Pioneer 814, both of which are 6.1 and have component video switching, are each on sale for $280 on the website. Something to consider if you're willing to chip in a little on top of your $250 in BB credit.
Old 01-20-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

according to the description that model doesn't even have component video inputs/outputs
Personally I never switch through a receiver for video. It is always better to run the video straight to the display.

Next I like the two year warranty, Pioneer and sony do not have that.

i would go with one of the models that offers 6.1 sound (just in case you want to upgrade one day)
Based on the amount of media out for 6.1 I am not convinced that someone at this price point needs that feature.

Lastly I have used and I am using Yamaha in my home theater. I have never been a fan of Kenwood, the Sony non es products are poorly made.
Old 01-20-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Personally I never switch through a receiver for video. It is always better to run the video straight to the display.

Next I like the two year warranty, Pioneer and sony do not have that.

Based on the amount of media out for 6.1 I am not convinced that someone at this price point needs that feature.

Lastly I have used and I am using Yamaha in my home theater. I have never been a fan of Kenwood, the Sony non es products are poorly made.

touche. all i know is right now i have 3 progressive scan dvd mega-changers (with a 4th on the way) hooking everything up through my rptv is not a feasible option since at most there will be 2 component video inputs. i'm interested in getting the best picture too. i would never recommend something that i would not purchase myself. but you're right maybe the op isn't interested in such nonsense, or doesn't mind getting up and unhooking his x box or satellite every time he wants to play a dvd. perhaps he should have been more specific as to what his needs/wants were out of the reciever. as far as the sony non es products being poorly made, they are as "poorly made" as any other brands in this price range. although i use sony products, i would not recommend them over other brands simply because i use them. from personal experience the few times i have had any problems with one of my sony products (usually because of my own ignorance) sony has sent me a refurb unit within 1 week of reciept. their customer service is top notch in my book.

chris
dollfins1
Old 01-20-05, 04:23 PM

Do yourself a favor and pick up the Onkyo TX-SR502 from CircuityCity.com. It is on sale for $254.99 and it well worth the extra money. If budget is tight, head over to ecost.com and pick up a factory refurb 502 with a one year warranty for $179 shipped.

Check out what people have to say about the 502 over at the Spot and you will see why I recommend it.

Ah.. just saw the BB credit thing. Still go buy the 502 and use the credit on something else.
Old 01-20-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sq240
Do yourself a favor and pick up the Onkyo TX-SR502 from CircuityCity.com. It is on sale for $254.99 and it well worth the extra money. If budget is tight, head over to ecost.com and pick up a factory refurb 502 with a one year warranty for $179 shipped.

Check out what people have to say about the 502 over at the Spot and you will see why I recommend it.

Ah.. just saw the BB credit thing. Still go buy the 502 and use the credit on something else.
What he said!
Old 01-20-05, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
all i know is right now i have 3 progressive scan dvd mega-changers (with a 4th on the way) hooking everything up through my rptv is not a feasible option since at most there will be 2 component video inputs. i'm interested in getting the best picture too.
Old 01-20-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks Dah-Dee! i am aware of the component switcher boxes. i really don't have a problem running some of my component cables through my reciever. i was just trying to make a point that this is one option that every "good" digital av reciever should have at least 2 component inputs and 1 output. that way it wouldn't be necessary to have to buy additional equiptment to have to hook things up. personally i think all recievers and tvs should have as many input/output options as possible to accomodate everyone from the beginner to the enthusiast. buying a reciever w/o these options is a bad choice imo.
chris
dollfins1
Old 01-20-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone explain to me what's so bad about running video through a receiver??

Oh and as for which receiver I would go with??
Either the Pioneer or the Yamaha.
Old 01-21-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jessecrx
Can someone explain to me what's so bad about running video through a receiver??

Oh and as for which receiver I would go with??
Either the Pioneer or the Yamaha.

there's nothing wrong with it. for dvd's it doesn't degrade the signal to the extent that can be noticed by the human eye. my whole point is that the yamaha that the op is interested in has no component video connections at all. i can't understand brand loyalty at the cost of what i would consider "necessary" features.
Old 01-21-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn'tmanyone care about SOUND QUALITY>>> Don't be fooled by the specs either. The Yammy amps are high-current too. I'd pick the Yammy, followed bythe Pioneer or Kenwood. Sorry Dollfin, but the low-end Sony's are poorly-made,and sound crappy to boot.
Old 01-21-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by drmoze
Doesn'tmanyone care about SOUND QUALITY>>> Don't be fooled by the specs either. The Yammy amps are high-current too. I'd pick the Yammy, followed bythe Pioneer or Kenwood. Sorry Dollfin, but the low-end Sony's are poorly-made,and sound crappy to boot.

i did not say i would pick the sony if you read my posts more closely. i said "and of course you should listen to them first in person". but i most certainly would not recommend buying ANY reciever without component inputs/switching and at least 6.1 sound. why should someone have to buy a new reciever or additional hardware if they decide to upgrade? sorry dr. moze there are too many other models in this price pont that sound just as good to recommend buying a reciever w/o component inputs (or s video!). thats just blind brand loyalty and bad advice. let me guess you own a yamaha too lol
Old 01-21-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up picking an open box Yahmaha HTR-5730 for $160.

This is basically for a secondary system for my basement and I only need 5.1. I'm using a PS2 as the DVD player and some old mirage speakers/sw so top shelf is not needed . If i upgrade and get a DVD player that does composite video i'll run it straight to the tv. For the most part this is just keeping me happy until I can afford to set up my primary HT. so far i am happy with it.
Old 01-21-05, 09:18 PM

>>so far i am happy with it.

This is all that matters.
Old 01-22-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dollfins1
thats just blind brand loyalty and bad advice. let me guess you own a yamaha too lol
Nope. Have a Denon now. Used to have a Yammy tho and would buy one again. (Happy with the Denon now!) The Yammy sounded great with my NHTs. (Actually started with a Sony that sounded crappy, and have heard more Sonys since that sound just as bad. Their DSP modes suck IMO, and all of their non-ES receivers are rated *way* above their actual anemic power output. Check any testing results....)
Old 01-22-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job picking the Yamaha, schlitzy. Definitely the best of the four listed above.
Old 01-23-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i have been completely happy w/ my Yamaha receiver for over 4 years now.