Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone use a SONY ES receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got a good deal on a Sony ES-1000 receiver. I was wondering if anyone used it here?

My main question is what settings do you use when watching DVD's? There is a movie setting, or the NEO6:Cinema or a bunch of others. I have a 6.1 system hooked up to it.

I've been using NEO6, since that enables me to use my center rear speaker on 5.1 movies.....you can set it to a Matrix setting.

Just curious if anyone has this receiver and the settings....

Here are the settings it supports:
Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital EX, dts®, dts-ES, dts-ES 96/24, dts: Neo6, Dolby® Pro Logic® II Decoding

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 01-21-05 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-21-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 3000ES it has similiar settings I leave mine in A.F.D. most of the time. I have tried the Neo6 for 2.0 and 2.1 stuff not real impressive.
Old 01-21-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have an older 5.1 ES receiver, its about 8 years old, but I still only use A.F.D. I tried all the different surround modes and wasn't impressed either, they sound to gimmicky, basically like different levels of echo/delay. Unprocessed DTS all the way!
Old 01-21-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....I know when I hit A.F.D. button on the remote, you can switch between a bunch of different modes.

Here are some of the modes also: Ripped from Crutchfield

Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:

Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital EX
Dolby Pro Logic
Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music)
DTS (including DTS 96/24)
DTS-ES (Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1)
DTS Neo:6 (Cinema and Music)
Cinema Studio Ex. A (Digital Cinema Sound)
Cinema Studio Ex. B (Digital Cinema Sound)
Cinema Studio Ex. C (Digital Cinema Sound)
Virtual Multi Dimension
Hall
Jazz Club
Live Concert

I guess I'll screw around with it again today. I thought NEO6 sounded pretty good. I watched Predator SE DTS yesterday....and then I started fooling around with modes, now I want to know what is "BEST"

I like having my rear center matrixed mixed in on 5.1 mixes...but that's just me

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 01-21-05 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-21-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well first you need to understand exactly what you're talking about. DD and DTS are discrete sound formats meaning that they provide an audio stream for each speaker. DTS normally has a higher bitrate which means it can devote more data to getting the sound exactly right. The DTS stream is also always +4db louder than DD which misleads a lot of people into thinking DTS sounds better. I tend to think DTS is preferable due to higher bitrates, but not everyone agrees with me. Most people probably couldn't tell the difference between the two if it weren't for the volume differential. DTS-ES is 6.1 DTS... whether using a discrete audio channel for the rear center or a matrixed rear center created from the in-phase/out of phase audio in the rear surrounds. Discrete is obviously better than matrixed, but i'm sure you'll appreciate the matrixed just as well.

Dolby Pro Logic I/II, and DTS NEO:6 are surround modes designed to create a 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound experience from standard stereo source. This works very well for movies that were created with this in mind... and not so well with standard stereo sources. Broadcast TV is where you'll get the most benefit from this as DVDs are all going to have at least 5.1 sound and you would never want to use straight stereo and go through one of these emulation modes. I hear very little effect from my CDs when using one of these modes and actually think it degrades the audio output from front left and right. ProLogic II is much better than ProLogic I and it's what I use for stereo sources. I've heard NEO:6 described as total crap (which wouldn't surprise me) but I don't have enough experience with it to form a strong opinion.

The Cinema Surround Modes, as well as all the other surround modes are total crap. They are only used as bullet points for sales & marketing. I've never heard of anyone using them with two very minor exceptions. I think the Stadium sound output can be used while watching football to give a nice enveloping crowd sound. Worthless but some people might like it. The oddly named Disco mode is actually what I'd call a party mode. It outputs all the sound through all the speakers at exactly the same volume. This could be useful during parties/dances where you don't want subtle sound coming through the rears, you want them to just act as PAs.
Old 01-21-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Sony STR-DE945, and use A.F.D. for pretty much all of my souces, not just for movies. Like it was said abouve, most of the other ones sound to "echoey"
Old 01-21-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 30es in my small home theater.

I do not use any of the soundfield settings, just the generic auto format decode.
Old 01-24-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I switched it to A.F.D. this weekend, it seemed to sound a little better. Thanks for the advice