Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DTS/Reciever question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS/Reciever question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DTS/Reciever question

I have a 6.1 channel reciever that does Dolby, DTS, etc...However when I play dvds that have DTS-ES 6.1, and I choose that on the audio menu of the dvd, my center rear doesnt work. Does my reciever have to also do DTS-ES as well as DTS? I hope this question makes sense, as Im getting frustrated here trying to figure this out and I dont seem to have any dvds that just do 6.1 without DTS-ES to check it out.
Old 01-10-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Does my reciever have to also do DTS-ES as well as DTS?
Yes.

http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/a...onid=58&List=4
Old 01-10-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Awww, thanks I thought so. Damn My wife isnt going to like it when I tell her I have to go get a new reciever...
Old 01-11-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Awww, thanks I thought so. Damn My wife isnt going to like it when I tell her I have to go get a new reciever...
Get one if you want, I am all for upgrading and spending money but the number of discs with either Dolby EX or DTS-ES is not very large. Even with the ones that have those tracks I rarely notice much activity.
Old 01-11-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but I too have a question about my receiver.

I just upgraded to A Pioneer VSX -D814

and so far I love it....but something is buggin me.

My receiver has inputs for both component and S-Video. Right now my DVD player and my Xbox are using the component video slots and my satellite ONLY HAS S-Video....so I connected my satellite to my receiver in the S-Video slot.

The only video connection my receiver has to my TV is COMPONENT out. So now I can switch between my DVD and Xbox with ease but when I switch to my satellite all I get is sound....no picture.

Aren't receivers supposed to change the signal from S-Video to Component to make it more convernient for users?? If I want to watch my satellite I have to manually change the video source on my TV and connect my satellite to my S-Video on the TV itself.

That's sorta the whole point why I upgraded to a better receiver....for performance and convenience...

I have a few more questions but we will start with this one
Old 01-11-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 814 does not have the capability to up-convert. So you cannot connect s-video and have it output to component. I know the 1014 does this.
Old 01-11-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Worms
The 814 does not have the capability to up-convert. So you cannot connect s-video and have it output to component. I know the 1014 does this.
OUCH! I was afraid you were gonna say that

That one is a little too far out of my budget .....

The 814 is very nice and I am very happy with the performance so far. Guess I will just have to get a newer satellite receiver with component out puts and find a good system selector with Component in/out and digital sound out

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-11-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok now for the second question.....it's a receiver/subwoofer question.

I came across a Bose subwoofer at a pawn shop for $40....it had been in backstock for a LONG time but it worked fine. It's a "passive" subwoofer...or so the salesman said. I know that it's not powered.

I hooked it up to my 814 pioneer receiver and I was kind of puzzled as to why it doesn't BOOM as much as it did with my old HTB-205 Kenwood receiver.

All the connections are correct....but what puzzled me was the fact that 2 of my rear channels are being occupied by the subwoofer alone since it's passive and not powered.

Will I notice a difference if I buy a powered sub as opposed to staying with my Bose passive sub??

Also what's a good setting to have the subwoofer frequency set at?? Right now it's set to 100DB(factory setting). I am afraid of messing with it out of fear of blowing something up

This receiver is amazing.....SO many ways to tweak it that it's almost overwhelming.
Old 01-12-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am not sure why there is a difference between the two receivers, but my suggestion would be to definately get a powered sub either way. You want the sub to have its own amplifier so that it can receive adequate amount of power. Take a look at this one for a low cost version.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632
Old 01-12-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by jessecrx
I hooked it up to my 814 pioneer receiver and I was kind of puzzled as to why it doesn't BOOM as much as it did with my old HTB-205 Kenwood receiver.

All the connections are correct....but what puzzled me was the fact that 2 of my rear channels are being occupied by the subwoofer alone since it's passive and not powered.
Now I'd like to ask a question about your question.

Can you explain how you hooked up your passive sub to your receiver? I only have a passive sub at the moment and would like to hook it up until I get a powered sub, but I'm not sure how. You connected it to the two rear channels and that works? How does the receiver know that the receiver is hooked up to the rears?

My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm just not getting it and my receiver's manual doesn't say anything about hooking up a passive sub.
Old 01-12-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not to hijack this thread any further but I just purchased a 100w powered Dayton sub from partsexpress.com that is supposedly all the rage at avsforum.com for the price. I will be receiving today and most likely hook up next week. They were selling for $98 up till Jan 3rd and are now $124. I told them that I missed the sale but a friend recommended it to me and they were able to give it to me at $98. Just call or email.
Old 01-12-05, 03:58 PM
ATX

"100DB" did you mean the xover freq. ? 100Hz

if you got smaller speakers in your surround system, then i would leave it there
Old 01-12-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Now I'd like to ask a question about your question.

Can you explain how you hooked up your passive sub to your receiver? I only have a passive sub at the moment and would like to hook it up until I get a powered sub, but I'm not sure how. You connected it to the two rear channels and that works? How does the receiver know that the receiver is hooked up to the rears?

My apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm just not getting it and my receiver's manual doesn't say anything about hooking up a passive sub.
Well in the front of the instructions it tells you how you can hook it up. You connect the positive to the L rear speaker and the Negative to the R rear speaker. Then you set the rear channels to SW. You can set them in the QUICK SETUP menu on the receiver itself. I guess this is the same as "bridging" for more power.

I am not too crazy about it and I'd like to have it hooked up so that I can have the best sound possible.....I feel like I am cheating myself out of something that sounds much better by doing it this way but then again it may just be my imagination.

My current passive sub still doesn't boom as hard as when it was hooked up to my old HTB-205 Kenwood Receiver....and that one had its own channel specifically for a passive sub.
Old 01-12-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ATX
"100DB" did you mean the xover freq. ? 100Hz

if you got smaller speakers in your surround system, then i would leave it there
Perhaps you are right....I'll double check. I am using the Celestion AVP305 Speakers.....not sure if these qualify as "small" or not....
Old 01-13-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Just buy the same brand receiver but the model that does DTS ES. It's probably going to look similar enough to your current receiver that she'll never even notice it.
Old 01-13-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by renaldow
Just buy the same brand receiver but the model that does DTS ES. It's probably going to look similar enough to your current receiver that she'll never even notice it.
Good idea, Hell I could get a different brand as long as it was black and she still would have no clue...Of course when she does the checkbook, that will be a whole other story. Oh well, I figure its not worth it to upgrade at this time as I think I have 3 6.1 DTS-ES dvds, and those sound pretty good w/o it anyways.
Old 01-13-05, 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=jessecrx]Not trying to hijack this thread but I too have a question about my receiver.

I just upgraded to A Pioneer VSX -D814

and so far I love it....but something is buggin me.

My receiver has inputs for both component and S-Video. Right now my DVD player and my Xbox are using the component video slots and my satellite ONLY HAS S-Video....so I connected my satellite to my receiver in the S-Video slot.

The only video connection my receiver has to my TV is COMPONENT out. So now I can switch between my DVD and Xbox with ease but when I switch to my satellite all I get is sound....no picture.

[QUOTE]

Why don't you use the S-Video Out on the receiver and just switch the TV's input channel?
Old 01-14-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will I notice a difference if I buy a powered sub as opposed to staying with my Bose passive sub??
Yes.
Old 01-20-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Very much yes.