DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV under $1000 options

Old 01-17-05, 12:04 PM

HDTV under $1000 choice

My friend is looking for a HDTV for her gameroom, and she has enlisted me to help her find one.

She doesn't want to spend more than $1000, and she wants something around 50". She also does not want one from an online vendor.

So far, I have found the following options for her:

Best Buy - 52" GE RPTV

Circuit City - Magnavox 51" RPTV

Do you guys have any other options that she might look into? Is one TV from above better than the other?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by gabeon; 01-17-05 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Changed Title
Old 01-18-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Neither of those has a HD tuner built in. Does she need that, or only needs HR ready?
Old 01-18-05, 04:48 PM

She doesn't need the tuner built in. I will guide her along if she wants to start watching HDTV. She mainly wants something for movies and TV, but I have convinced her to be more ready for the HDTV growth for the future.
Old 01-18-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can anyone help me or tell me if it would be wiser to get a SONY 30" HDTV or a SONY 32" tube TV. With my tax return I feel like splurging and I would love to be able to get the HDTV which I've seen for 899 and the 32" for 599. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-19-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Fry? Fry?
Old 01-19-05, 10:57 PM

On Black Friday,I got the Akai (Samsung) 42" 16.9.I don't have anything to compare it to,but we love it.It's only HD ready,by the way.But for $700.00 it's a beaut!Normal price is $1,000.00.

42" might seem a bit small,but my couch is only 4-5 ft. from the TV.Works great for me.
Old 01-19-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trying not to sound like an idiot but what does it mean if it's only HD ready, that you need a special cable box for the HD stations?
Old 01-20-05, 12:37 PM

HD Ready means that it is capable of displaying HD resolutions. That means it can display 1080i resolution, and sometimes 720p. The only way you can see HD resolutions is if you have some source feed the TV the HD quality signal.

HD-Built In means that there is a tuner built in to a TV that is capable of displaying the HD resolutions. This means that you will just need an antenna hooked to the TV to receive OTA(Over the Air) signals for HDTV.

Also, if you have Voom, HD DISH, or HD DirecTV, you can hook it directly up to a HD-Ready TV or HD-Built In TV using the Component, DVI, or HDMI inputs.