Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Let's talk universal remotes....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I am in the market for one. I'm sick of using a different remote just to do one freaking thing like watch a DVD or Tivo.

What's good? What's bad?

My dad has two MX-500's up at his cabin. It's very easy to use. The macro features are nice. The only downside is the size. But considering it will control everything, it's not a bad deal.

I was looking at these on Amazon before christmas. They were about $67. Now they are about $97.

What about the Logitech Harmony series of remotes? Good? Bad?
Old 12-28-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a MX-500 and it's a great remote. No problems with the size.

I bought mine from BlueDo.com some time ago, but it's $83.95 there now.

A good place for remote info is http://www.remotecentral.com. Lots of reviews and suggestions.
Old 12-28-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

cool. thanks for the links.
Old 12-28-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have tried both the MX-500 and the Logitech 659 Harmony Universal Internet Remote, which I now use.

The 659 is a far superior remote and can be programmed via the net.

One slick unit, even those who hate remotes can use it. ie: Want to watch a movie? press "watch a movie" and the receiver, the DVD player and the plazma turn on, even to the correct component input!

Usually about $100 plus shipping, here's but one place that carries it:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...MP=OTC-PSCANDF
Old 12-28-04, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kayak99
One slick unit, even those who hate remotes can use it. ie: Want to watch a movie? press "watch a movie" and the receiver, the DVD player and the plazma turn on, even to the correct component input!
I have my mx500 set up to do the same thing (exept my label is "DVD" instead of "watch a movie" since the max is 5 characters)
Old 12-28-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
You know, I ended up with a One For All like this,

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...7&loc=111&sp=1

It not only handled all my items included my dishnetwork/DVR player, but comes with a RF converter which is nice if you have your electronics behind a cabinet like I do. (they have a version without the RF if you don't need that). It is also programable so that the one thing it would not do built in, I was able to program it.

Yea, I'd like one of those PDA types as well, but for the money this is pretty nice.
Old 12-29-04, 06:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to use a one for all, but they didn't keep up with the codes/devices I needed, and I wasn't really thrilled about using Learning mode. I looked very hard at the MX500, but went for the Harmony. The Harmony was very easy to set up (USB programming via your computer and their website) and they had all the codes I needed (Bravo D1.) I like having the hard buttons since I don't have to look at the remote to use it.

The macros "watch Tv" and so on are handy for my wife and kids. The small LCD screen takes care of the 'seldom used' commands for which there are not hard buttons. I think I got a good deal on mine at buy.com.
Old 12-29-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by gcbrowni
I used to use a one for all, but they didn't keep up with the codes/devices I needed, and I wasn't really thrilled about using Learning mode. I looked very hard at the MX500, but went for the Harmony. The Harmony was very easy to set up (USB programming via your computer and their website) and they had all the codes I needed (Bravo D1.) I like having the hard buttons since I don't have to look at the remote to use it.

The macros "watch Tv" and so on are handy for my wife and kids. The small LCD screen takes care of the 'seldom used' commands for which there are not hard buttons. I think I got a good deal on mine at buy.com.
The hooking up to your computer is nice. There is a sort of unground going on with some of the One For All's as many of their units (including the one I listed), has a plug. Many folks are making or purchasing cords that will plug into this and into your computer where you can end up doing all sorts of custom things.

The only thing I have had to program on mine is the "off" button for my H/K receiver. The H/K has one button for on and another one for off.

Don't get me wrong I have played with those higher end remotes and they are sweet. Just mentioning there are some decent low cost options.
Old 12-30-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use the MX500 and love it. When I got my Yamaha RX-V1 receiver I got their proprietary Pronto touch screen remote for free. It was cool programming it on the PC and making custom graphics for it, but the novelty quickly wears off when you have to look at the touchscreen for every button push. Hard-button remotes are the way to go.
Old 12-30-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate piggy backing on threads...but..

I had a Sony "pronto" type remote that came with my receiver. I really only used it to control volume and switch inputs on the receiver(Ie Cable, DVD, etc) for sound.

My LCD remote shattered(I know I know) and only the volume still works, and the screen is totally kerplunked.

Is there still a way to use a "Learning" remote to get back the stuff I need, or...am I SOL?
Old 01-03-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the Harmony 659 and I'm still getting used to it. Sometimes it's great but sometimes I just want to directly control a device, and it's a bit of a pain to get it to do it. Setting up via the web is fun for a while, but having to connect it every time you want to change a function gets old quick. I figure I'll have it doing what I want, when I want in a couple of weeks.

D
Old 01-03-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just ordered the Harmony 680 for 101.00 shipped from Staples last week. Thick coin purse has a thread how to get one for 85 shipped, but I didn't have a coupon available. I will be getting it shortly and well drop back and and leave an opinion.

I had a Sony RM-2100, a bit bulky, the touch screen had to be used to navigate, and it really wasn't set up to use Tivo and other goodies.

EDIT:Apparently Staples is out of stock, and doesn't back-order this item so I have to call back and reorder in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by jon-w9; 01-03-05 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-04-05, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a Harmony 659 for about a year and I have never had any problems. It was easy to set up and controls all of my equipment.
Old 01-04-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

I ended up getting the MX-500 for $80 through a friend. I like the idea of the Harmony remotes, but I don't like the buttons or size of it. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-04-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I ended up getting the MX-500 for $80 through a friend. I like the idea of the Harmony remotes, but I don't like the buttons or size of it. Thanks for the help.
I picked one of these up too after reading all the raving reviews at remotecentral.com. It shipped today so I should get it by early next week at the latest.
Old 01-04-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been using my trusty Sony VL900 for years... I just reconfigured it for my daewoo DVD player and Denon receiver... I think you can get one for $30-$40 if you can still find one, you won't find a better non-LCD-screen learning remote

http://www.remotecentral.com/vl900/index.html
Old 01-07-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got my MX-500 in the mail yesterday and spent about 2 hours programming it. I think I'm in love. It does pretty much everything I want it to do. At the minimum, it has replaced 5 remotes at a maximum it will really streamline the process of component switching. I've been fooling around with the Macros and have it set up pretty much like I want it. Discrete on/off buttons would help out Macro programming a lot if they exist. I need to do some research on this.

Right now I have it set with the following Macros.

DVDON: (turns on TV, DVD, Receiver, ends on the DVD remote mode). If I hit it again, it shuts everything off.

HDON: (turns on TV, HDTV Box, Receiver, ends on HDTV control). Again, hitting this again turns everything off.

LDON: (turns on TV, Receiver, LD, sets pic mode on TV, ends on LD mode)

LDOff (turns of LD and resets everything to DVON mode)

then I have various macros to go from component to component, like DVD to HDTV or HDTV to LD, etc but I always end up at a place where I can shut everyting off using one of the first three Macros.

One thing I found is that I wish I had spent more time thinking about where I wanted to assign stuff. I revised a few of the command locations for ease of use after playing around. It is worth sketching it out on a peice of paper ahead of time.
Old 01-07-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

The macro and punch through features are very nice on this remote.
Old 01-07-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I need one, but wonder if they can help with my setup. To first turn everything on, naturally I turn on the receiver, then the TV. The problem is that the TV is a projector so I have to point the remote up and behind me, while the receiver is in front. Probably no way to avoid this.

Next, my DVD player is my computer, for which I have Windows Media Center with the remote. I need to check and see if there is a friendly layout. Not sure I could deal successfully with a universal remote that had a button that did 5 things, but only when you had it turned to the right instrument.

How well do these work?
Old 01-08-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kvrdave - Harmony has a model specifically made to operate Windows Media PCs. It's model 680 and although I don't have a PC it's the one I'm looking at getting also simple for the way it works and the button layout. As for needing to point it in different directions I've heard that through IR repeaters and blasters you can group everything in a single location. Perhaps that's what you can try.
Old 01-08-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kayak99
I have tried both the MX-500 and the Logitech 659 Harmony Universal Internet Remote, which I now use.

The 659 is a far superior remote and can be programmed via the net.

Usually about $100 plus shipping, here's but one place that carries it:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...MP=OTC-PSCANDF
I echo the sentiments on the harmony line of remotes. Am using the 659 right now and it's great.
Old 01-08-05, 08:19 AM

Kvrdave, the harmonys also have three ir emitters in them. One pointing up, one down, and one straight ahead. If the projecter is right above you theres a good chance that it will pick it up. If not, you could get a remote extender. Radioshack sells them, you put one unit with the rest of your gear and the other one line of sight with your projecter. Or you could get a USB-Uirt for your pc and set up girder to send out the projecters signals.
Old 01-10-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still want to get the Harmony 680. I like the gems buttons better then the rubber ones, and I don't like the layout of the 688. The 880 is color, and will be coming out soon, but the button layout seems too smooth to be functional by feel.

I just can't decide whether to order from compuplus for $111, or from bluedo for 130.95. Bluedo is on the approved manufactures lift for warranty issues, and compuplus is not.

Has anyone dealt with either of these companies, or with this remote have any input? Than k you.

Jon
Old 01-10-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jon where have you found the list of authorized dealers? When I click the link on Logitech's web site I'm not seeing the list of stores that I see many others list. FRom their web site the cheapest online store I found was from ProAdvantage.com for about $129 shipped for the 680 which I want to order at the end of this month.
Old 01-10-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got it from Logitech's site:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/st...try=19,cid=395

I didn't see ProAdvantage listed as one of their online stores. Where did you get that pricing? From the approved source list, BlueDo seemed to be the best I could find.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.