Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba DVD Player Class Action Settlement info

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba DVD Player Class Action Settlement info

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's good news. I'll contact Toshiba tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-02-05, 11:05 AM

I tried calling Toshiba, but they really didnt know what to do and said I had to call an 800# they gave me for the Claims Administration, which turned out to be the exact same place/recording as the 888# on the claim notice/form mailed to us, that I called a month ago, with the ultra long recording (anyone notice the girl firsts just says "ww." instead of "www." ?), with no person to talk to. I had left my name and # there way back but never got a call back.
BTW, I bought my player back in 2000.

I tried calling Brett Altman as someone suggested above but he wasn't there. I'll try emailing him.
Old 06-03-05, 02:21 PM

I may try that too. I should have done that back a month ago when I first found out.
Old 06-06-05, 06:16 PM

Bloomcounty, it is not very nice to shout in the forum or write me e-mail from a spam-protected account I have to go through extreme security to respond to. I have a different DVD model as you can see in my previous posts and your DVD model is not in the list of supported devices on the firmware DVD that I got.
Best of luck to everyone with Toshiba customer support!
Old 06-06-05, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by BorisBG
Bloomcounty, it is not very nice to shout in the forum or write me e-mail from a spam-protected account I have to go through extreme security to respond to. I have a different DVD model as you can see in my previous posts and your DVD model is not in the list of supported devices on the firmware DVD that I got.
Best of luck to everyone with Toshiba customer support!
Sorry you feel that way. I must have misread your post, I swear it said 2108. I also would have seen your blocked email in my spam summary, so I didn't mean for you to have to go through the process of all that. I sent you a reply email thanking your for your help -- hate to think it didn't get to you.

I'll delete the previous post since it's deemed offensive. I'm wasn't being rude, just worried and anxious because of the unfair situation with the deadline.

Thanks,

bloomcounty
Old 06-09-05, 12:58 PM

3109s Get Replaced

I've got a 3109, from 1999, and yes, I am anal enough to have kept the receipt. It still works fine. I am offered a replacement (with postage paid shipping) for the current, multi-disk carousel model. I have no choices - take that model or leave it. Problem is, 3109 is about 12-13 inches deep, the new carousel model is 16+ inches deep, and will not fit in my AV cabinet...I asked if they can give me a cheaper, non-carousel model, and Toshiba said "NO"
Old 06-09-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by arf1410
I've got a 3109, from 1999, and yes, I am anal enough to have kept the receipt. It still works fine. I am offered a replacement (with postage paid shipping) for the current, multi-disk carousel model. I have no choices - take that model or leave it. Problem is, 3109 is about 12-13 inches deep, the new carousel model is 16+ inches deep, and will not fit in my AV cabinet...I asked if they can give me a cheaper, non-carousel model, and Toshiba said "NO"

I guess you could ebay it and buy a cheaper one with the money
Old 06-10-05, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by arf1410
I've got a 3109, from 1999, and yes, I am anal enough to have kept the receipt. It still works fine. I am offered a replacement (with postage paid shipping) for the current, multi-disk carousel model.
How long did it take to hear back? And do you have to send them back the old player?

Thanks!

-- bloomcounty
Old 06-10-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Did they say what player? Do you have to return your old one?
Yeah, I had to return my SD-3108, but it got replaced by the a SD-4960. I hope it's a good player. I just got it today.

And, according to Amazon.com, this is a discontinued player. Why am I not surprised?

Last edited by Mark Holtz; 06-10-05 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 01:51 PM

bloomcounty, did you hear anything back from Toshiba yet?
Old 06-20-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow. Just saw this. I bought two 3109s back in 2000. One died, skipped, would not recognize discs. I threw it away. Sucks.

Now I have a portable Toshiba that is only a few months old and no longer will output video. I think I am done with Toshiba.
Old 06-27-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got a firmware upgrade disc today from Toshiba for my 3 1/2 year old SDK700 (Costco model of the SD3750).

I had problems with momentary audio dropouts, and it had serious problem with DTS-ES discrete - at certain points on LOTR EEs and other films, the audio would start an odd echoing effect which would continue until I paused the DVD or interrupted the audio stream in some way.

The DTS-ES problem seems to be solved - I just played a spot on LOTR TTT EE where is had always recurred (Chapter 14, disc 1 - right around 1:01), and it played perfectly.
Old 08-23-05, 12:02 PM

bloomcounty, did you hear anything back from Toshiba yet?
Old 08-23-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Hmmm. I have a Toshiba SD4960, which has a few problems, but I bought it too late for this Class Action. My player has problems with quite a few DTS tracks and periodic audio dropouts. It seems like whenever the soundtrack gets quiet, the audio will stop completely for a fraction of a second. I guess that description doesn't make it sound too bad, but it's really distracting. Enough so that I have to use the DD 5.1 track on those discs. It would be nice if I could get a firmware update from them to fix the problem, but that's unlikely - at least until class action lawsuit 2.